RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

climbchick

May 6, 2002, 5:56 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Hooked up with Da Ooze
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Pete and I spent this past weekend in West Virgina, climbing at Seneca and Nelson. Stu (Ooze) graciously invited us to crash at his house there and was a great host all weekend. We also got to meet Captain Prozac, who is staying down there at the moment, and Darkside, who drove down for a couple of days. Stu's wife, Lavonne, arrived on Saturday and made the whole experience even nicer with her kindness and great sense of humour.

Pete and I climbed at Seneca Rocks on Friday and I got to do my first multi-pitch trad route and get a taste of some real exposure on Ecstasy. Pete led all three pitches with enjoyment while I seconded and tried very hard not to look down.

On Saturday we went to Nelson with Stu and did some aid in the rain. As Pete was hooking up the wall, raving about the Russian aiders he was trying for the first time, Darkside walked out of the woods, having arrived an hour or so earlier and set off looking for us. We took him back to Stu's house with us, scarfed down a great dinner prepared by Lavonne and stayed up very late drinking beer On Sunday, Pete and I went back to Nelson with Darkside and there I did my first lead ever on an easy sport route, with Darkside belaying and Pete taking pictures. Never felt so good in my life! I had a fantastic weekend and am definitely planning to go out there again and spend some more time at the beautiful Nelson Preserve. Thanks to Stu and Lavonne for their kindness and hospitality! And thanks again, Stu, for hooking me up with that gear.

[ This Message was edited by: climbchick on 2002-05-06 11:07 ]

passthepitonspete

May 6, 2002, 6:20 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Hooked up with Da Ooze [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have YOU ever wondered what the Great and Powerful OOZE is like in person?

Is he as Pustule-ish as you might fear?

I hate to break it to the many Ooze Detractors and explode the myth, but Uncle Stu is actually a really swell guy with a wonderful family! He welcomed us all into his home and showered us with good ol' Southern Hospitality.

[Note: I do not know if Stu and LaVonne live far enough "south" to truly qualify as "Southern," especially since West Virginia fought on the side of the Union, but he is certainly a LOT farther south than me and Grant! Speaking of expoding myths, do not under any circumstances mention that I was free climbing up to 5.10, and having fun clipping bolts. This would not be in keeping with my crusty internet persona!]

I think we're feeling ready for Yosemite, and we look forward to returning to Wild and Wonderful West Virginia soon! I'd love to make it there around mid-October when the leaves are turning.

Thanks again!

Partner rrrADAM

May 6, 2002, 8:19 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too enjoyed Stu's company. He was very helpfull.

BTW Pete... His house is in Upper Marlboro, Md. That's not the South, it is way above the Mason-Dixon line.

Stu rules.

sharmagod

May 6, 2002, 9:10 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By the sounds of it this guy seems pretty cool and very gracious.Glad everyone had such a great time.Its always good to hear something like this.

darkside

May 7, 2002, 4:51 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well what started as a dubious trip ended good. A dose of the trots, a late departure, an arrival at NRP in pouring rain, and a near complete circumnavigation of the west fin to find the others led to better times. I met some folks I hadn't seen before and one I had. I was unsure whether I would be meeting Uncle Stu or the Ooze too but it turned out to be Stu with a cheerful appearance by the Ooze later on Saturday after a little coaxing by tequila and yes da Ooze rocks but he is the bad ass he tells you he is(he made me say that) As mentioned,I also met Stu's wife Lavonne, her friend the tally whacker, Captainprozac, Climbchick, and PTPP. Saturday evening just got better as the evening went on with a little "cheer", barbequed chicken, good conversation and Pete's rendition of his theme song "I'm a solo big wall climber" which was funny as hell. Later munchies went down well too with me scoring one of the last cookies (apparently made by rockwomyn, and my compliments to the chef) and climbchick wanting
me to ship her more of the apple pie I brought from home (store bought, I can't bake)
Another late start Sunday led to some good climbing at NRP (welcome to the sharp end Yvette), a new route by captainprozac, temps in the 70's and a trip along the via ferrata. Althogh still under construction, you need to check it out, it's worth it. What Stu has done with NRP is inspirational and if you are in the area, worth checking out. Great to meet you all.
Yes apparently we have a new member to RC.com now. One Dr_sport has joined us and despite having climbed before, he apparently knows very little about the activity so unlike our other resident Dr's, perhaps you shouldn't look to him for answers.

[ This Message was edited by: darkside on 2002-05-06 22:04 ]

dr_sport

May 7, 2002, 4:58 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am Dr_sport and I loved NRP, don't listen to Darkside because "I" don't pull on draws. "I" may be able to lead 5.10's but it's the double ropes on bolted 5.5's that confuse me

[ This Message was edited by: dr_sport on 2002-05-06 22:13 ]

darkside

May 7, 2002, 5:10 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might want to check out this link on the via ferrata.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=9874&forum=27

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook