RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

therealdeal

Aug 9, 2004, 9:19 PM
Post #1 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Mt. Yonah and environs for Turkey Day
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I'm gonna be around Mt. Yonah w/ the fam for turkey time...is there anything worth climbing around the area?

I was bummed to look at Map Quest and learn that this is 3 hours away from Rocktown, which appears to be the only decent place to climb in GA, is this correct?

Anyway, any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Neal

tenn_dawg

Aug 9, 2004, 9:53 PM
Post #2 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mt. Yonah and environs for Turkey Day [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi,

I'm gonna be around Mt. Yonah w/ the fam for turkey time...is there anything worth climbing around the area?

I was bummed to look at Map Quest and learn that this is 3 hours away from Rocktown, which appears to be the only decent place to climb in GA, is this correct?

Anyway, any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Neal

Bring a rope and some draws and climb some of the stuff on Yonah. There's a days worth of intersting climbing there for sure.

therealdeal

Aug 9, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #3 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks....

BTW, I love your avatar.

sport routes, no gear needed?

Any bouldering? We'll be flying, so I'm wondering if it is worth packing the gear...although I would rather do routes.

Keep'em coming, please.

n

fallenfreesoloist

Aug 9, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #4 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey ive got fam down there too(though i dont know when im going to visit) but is mt yonah included in the dixie cragger's atlas?

climbhigh2005

Aug 9, 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #5 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is in the craggers atlas... there is some bouldering.. and alot of sport routes... there is a little trad, but the hike up the mountain is to long to bring trad gear... there is enough sport to last a while.... have fuN!

therealdeal

Aug 9, 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #6 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, and Thanks!

Partner one900johnnyk

Aug 10, 2004, 12:07 PM
Post #7 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yonah sucks shit. i am a firm believer in going every once, except mount yonah..

cammaniac

Aug 10, 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #8 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, Yonah is good for trad lines, It must be the sport gumbies that are knocking it. It is a 2 mile approach and there are some easy sport and toprope lines that the Army rangers use for training, but the rest of the mountian has two and three pitch routes. The Dixie Cragger is your best bet for route info. Also Tallulah Gorge is close by, maybe 45 minutes from Yonah and it has wonderful 2 to short 4 pitch routes. You need to be solid at leading at least 5.8 though as the routes are stiff. Some of the best routes are in the 5.10 range, like Punk Wave.

For Bouldering Rocktown is your best bet.

jakemojo13

Aug 10, 2004, 1:21 PM
Post #9 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a days worth of climbing at yonah but it is not a high quality area. Much of the grading is very soft and we often felt like we were wasting our time. I believe the army uses this area to train. If you are a confident trad lead, talullah gorge is a classic area with intimidating higher grade multi pitch.

For a nice day out in the yonah area, I would recommend Currahee mountain. It has a good mix of everything and has some really nice slab climbs. Sport, trad and TR available. Easy approach and bolted anchors make for a great quick day of solid quality climbing. Currahee is in the deep south climbers companion and I believe it is in the cragger.

If you are coming in through atlanta, check out boat rock.

keinangst

Aug 10, 2004, 1:34 PM
Post #10 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF is wrong with RC.com? I love the complete disarray in people's answers...

I'll try to be honest: Yonah has lots of easy stuff, and is often not very aesthetic due to the army's bolting of easy lines and placing of cables across the mountain (who said the military is supposed to have climbing ethics?)....BUT it has routes of many grades, almost all of them granite slab. No, it's not as high quality as NC or Tuolumne, but if you want to climb multipitch granite slab and are in the area, it's worth the 2.7-mile uphill hike. Plus, that keeps the crowds down.

If you are going there just to climb sport, I would pass. However, if you want good trad exposure on easy to moderate ground, give it a shot.

Yes, it is in the Dixie Cragger's Atlas, and you can find good supplementary beta from this site: http://www.coolclimbing.com

therealdeal

Aug 10, 2004, 8:37 PM
Post #11 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks alot folks...Yeah I looked in the "Atlas"...I forgot I had that near waste of paper in my library...and realized that Yonah is probably the only game in town for that weekend.

Wish my family would understand out desire to go to the T-Wall...but no way!

I'll probably just go hiking instead...

Partner one900johnnyk

Aug 10, 2004, 8:55 PM
Post #12 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i knock it not as an avid sport climber and one averse to long hikes. in fact, i enjoy backpacking at least as much as climbing so that was really nothing. Mostly it is just that it's completely ugly to look at... i don't know, i just feel like i might as well be in a gym with all the cables and spray paint and shit.. i can see how people would like yonah but i am not a fan... but maybe that has to do with the proximity. much better areas in the same driving time.

rockitjeff

Aug 11, 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #13 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakeMojo is right.. . . Currahee is the fun day out. The Brick Wall has short stout sport, and the Slab is slabolicious. Trust me.

cammaniac

Aug 11, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #14 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...Yeah I looked in the "Atlas"...I forgot I had that near waste of paper in my library......

What do you have against the Cragger?? I don't see you out there publishing anything better. I've got alot of use out of it and will continue to do so.

therealdeal

Aug 11, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #15 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually it is a fairly complete guide...to some great climbing

i just don't like the tough guy, old school ethic, "sport climbing is the lowest common denominator of climbing", elitist bullshit that permeates every page of the guide.

dude has a SERIOUS chip on his shoulder (seems like he is compensating for something...small penis? inability to climb difficult routes? beaten as a small child?, who knows)

and it needs better topos and an overall map of how areas relate to one another.

I don't live in the South (thankfully) so why would I write a guide...I've got a job.

thats why i think it is crap, if you must know.

cammaniac

Aug 11, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #16 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you say the dude has a chip on his shoulder and then you go on to knock the South?

I think that's an attitude, although I do agree Chris(the author) is a VERY traditional style climber, that has been the ethic here forever and that's how he feels about it. If he's writing the book it will have his opinions.

I won't say I agree totally with it, but hey everybody's got an opinion.

BTW, If you don't like the South, Please stay the F*&# out! I've spent time in SLC and other than the climbing, it blows chunks!! Just my opinion.

Partner oldsalt

Aug 11, 2004, 7:32 PM
Post #17 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Currahee is the same driving time from Atlanta as Yonah. It is a tough hike up Yonah, but a tough ride up Currahee - you need big wheels at the top. Currahee has a variety of clean routes, with a mix of TR, sport, and trad (with some bolts).

I did Yonah last year, two days after Thanksgiving, and the top was heavily iced. There were at least 14 ice falls that came near or through our route in the time that we were climbing Lowers.

therealdeal

Aug 11, 2004, 7:54 PM
Post #18 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

BTW, If you don't like the South, Please stay the F*&# out! I've spent time in SLC and other than the climbing, it blows chunks!! Just my opinion.

Very eloquent.

I would agree that SLC has its pitfalls.

I've spent most of my life growing up in GA, so I think I too am entitled to my opinion...much as I am entitled to my opinion of the book.

Unfortunately, my entire family still lives in GA, so I can't stay the fuck out. Although, if I never had to go there again...climbing or no climbing...it would be too soon.

A intellectual wasteland...as evidenced by you!

therealdeal

Aug 11, 2004, 7:58 PM
Post #19 of 19 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW, thanks to all for the info on Yonah...

I guess I'll simply take the opportunity to kick the feet up & drink beer that is more than 3.2% Alc. and have a long weekends rest from climbing.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook