RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Partner coldclimb

Aug 9, 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Slackline setup article for critique
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Please don't comment on this unless you seriously know what you're talking about. I want this article to be an in-depth completely accurate description of how to set up your own slackline. Right now it's done, but I'm sure there's bound to be issues with it, as I'm not the world's best slacker. I'd appreciate any input from experienced slackliners out there on ways to improve this article so it will be the only thing new slackers need to read to be able to set up their own line.

I've already been informed by slackdaddy that my depiction of the Ellington system is incorrect. I know I'm supposed to use 9/16 webbing for it, but beyond that I don't know what's wrong, as I set it up the way I found it in a drawing online, so I'd appreciate input there.

So anyway, if you know what you're talking about, check it out, and tell me where I'm wrong. Thanks!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/articles/index.php?id=189

wiscoclimbiner

Aug 9, 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Re: Slackline setup article for critique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the article is an awesome piece for people to look at but ... the second system that involves 2 biners can be done differently, and in my opinion easier.

instead of using the ellington system to tie off you can use the biners to act as a pully.

you set up the line the same way at one end (with an overhand, etc. and then thread the lne through the loop like a girth hitch). On the other end you would first use a runner (mine is 10 feet) ;ths runner is tied with a water knot. the runner is also girthhitched around the other tree or whateer you are attaching to. then a biner is clipped on to it. On the actual slackline you would tie a clovehitch and thread the biner trough it (like you have in the picture). this clovehitch should be spaced about 7 feet from the other biner on the runner. you take the slackline after the clovehitch and run it to the biner on the runner, then run it back to the biner on the line, then back to the biner on the tree BUT this time slide the piece of webbiong UNDER the first and then run it back to the biner on the slackline and run it UNDER that line. So then when you are finished you should have the line running under it self at each of the biners. it tighten you just pull on the left-or tail.

this set-up will require more webbing due to the over-lapping, i ld recomend using a line that is about 60 to 70 feet long, and i have found that anythign under 50 is a pain to use unlsee you are setting up really short gaps

Partner coldclimb

Aug 16, 2004, 3:37 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, got the right info on the Ellington from slackdaddy and redid the article with correct pics for everything now. Should be completely good and ready to instruct noobs, but I'm not perfect, so there may be some mistakes I missed.

Wiscoclimber: good point, but I think I'm too lazy to put that into the article. ;) People who use this to set up their first line will eventually get better and move on to more complicated stuff, and maybe even read this thread. Thanks for the help though, I do appreciate it.

seafood_meowmix

Aug 16, 2004, 3:55 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An explaination to the last method would be nice :?
I can't really tell what you did just by looking at the picture.

Partner coldclimb

Aug 16, 2004, 4:03 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
An explaination to the last method would be nice :?
I can't really tell what you did just by looking at the picture.

Added a sentence that should help some. It's just like the 2-biner setup, but with one more zig-zag.

actionfigure

Aug 21, 2004, 5:52 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

careful with the trees. : :idea:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook