RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

pico23

Sep 20, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #1 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Best Place To live in Southern VA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was headed back to Arkansas this coming fall to finish my degree but it looks like plans might be changing. Nothing is even close to definitive but it's not too soon to have a plan.

There is a possibility that Southern/Western Virginia might be in the mix for relocation. It's sort of complicated but specific location is unimportant.

I have a few criteria though:

1) it preferably needs to be near a 4 year college with a degree program in the biological sciences or animal physiology. i'd still like to finish my degree if possible and I'm willing to change majors to anything that is similar. i'm not really crazy about switching schools since i've completed quite a bit and i know i'll lose some credits.

2) it should be central to a multitude of recreational activities including -but not most importantly- climbing. I figure anyplace in the southwest VA area is going to be close enough to the NRG and some stuff in NC. Since the NRG is only a few hours from Mt. Mitchell in NC I expect to find plenty of climbing. The biggest thing I'd like to be close to is good paddling. Up to class III ww is ok. Backpacking and mountain biking are also important.

It's going to be hard going from NY and the Northeast where I can pretty much do any activity I want to someplace without snow, ice and flatwater paddling but it could be a good chance to see another part of the country that offers quite a bit from the little bit i've sampled. and really i wouldn't be giving anything up that i wouldn't already be losing.

So if you were picking a general location in south/western/southwestern VA to live based on overall recreational opportunities where would it be?

monkeyarm

Sep 20, 2004, 2:49 AM
Post #2 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Place To live in Southern VA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh somehwere other than VA... thats kinda like asking where is the best place in France for some Italian food

jerrygarcia

Sep 20, 2004, 3:04 AM
Post #3 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Radford/Tech area or James Madison in Harrisonburg.

pico23

Sep 20, 2004, 3:07 AM
Post #4 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i assume you actually lived there because from my general knowledge, which pretty much only encompasses West Virginia, it seems like there is quite a bit of climbing. NRG has what, 5000 routes? of which I've climbed 20. seneca is my favorite place to trad crag in the east with hundreds of stellar multipitch trad routes. it seems like i could do worse. and just looking at NC it looks like there is plenty of good climbing including Looking Glass, Linville Gorge, ect.

i think you should look at the geography and possibly reconsider. southwest VA is located right in the middle of the cumberland plataue and blue ridge mountains. on either side there is good climbing. i'd just like to be close to the best of all worlds.

btw, how is the climbing in chicago?

climbs4fun

Sep 20, 2004, 3:19 AM
Post #5 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

az_biner

In reply to:
UVA in charlottesville...not terribly far from the NRG..which will fill your climbing and paddling needs..great place for cycling and hiking...skyline drive is very near. there just isn't any climbing to speak of in south/southwestern va. VA TECH is a great school in Blacksburg...great cycling and hiking..not sure about the paddling. have you looked into schools in NC..western carolina, very near the nantahala gorge (paddling)..also the AT comes right down to the NOC...the psali trails are some of the best mtb'ing around...---or---UNC-Asheville...that speaks for itself..on the blue ridge parkway.TONS of great cycling...close to climbing..and paddling..but my choice would be APP State in Boone...EXCELLENT CLIMBING...lots of hiking...not so far from whitewater across the line in TENN. not sure if these schools offer the degree you are looking for...but they certainly offer the outdoor adventure. after all, isn't that the most important part?

pico23

Sep 20, 2004, 3:49 AM
Post #6 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
az_biner

In reply to:
UVA in charlottesville...not terribly far from the NRG..which will fill your climbing and paddling needs..great place for cycling and hiking...skyline drive is very near. there just isn't any climbing to speak of in south/southwestern va. VA TECH is a great school in Blacksburg...great cycling and hiking..not sure about the paddling. have you looked into schools in NC..western carolina, very near the nantahala gorge (paddling)..also the AT comes right down to the NOC...the psali trails are some of the best mtb'ing around...---or---UNC-Asheville...that speaks for itself..on the blue ridge parkway.TONS of great cycling...close to climbing..and paddling..but my choice would be APP State in Boone...EXCELLENT CLIMBING...lots of hiking...not so far from whitewater across the line in TENN. not sure if these schools offer the degree you are looking for...but they certainly offer the outdoor adventure. after all, isn't that the most important part?

Thanks for the good lowdown,

I know Virginia itself has limited climbing but i'm not to shy about spending 2-4 hours in the car to get someplace good, especially if it's all new and fresh. My preference would obviously be to live in a magical place with everything i love to do right out my back door. This place is kind of rare (although it does exist).

The NRG has a lot of climbing but it's all (mostly) 1 pitch. Good 1 pitch climbs but still one pitch. Fayetteville, WVa is a cool town as well but from what I've been reading it looks like NC offers the best climbing in the South. Especially true if you prefer longer stuff.

the interesting thing about the move is that it is definitely going to be in the state of Virginia. If it was my choice it would be NC but the reason for VA is in-state tuition for my sis which will save $20K over 3-4 years. so assuming the house even holds it's own in value it's a good investment. we'll just kind of be house sitting. since it will be rent free i assume i will be able to get out a lot more. i've spent a few weeks building trail on the AT in southern VA (Greyson Highlands and the Mt Rogers Rec Area) so i'm not completely ignorant to whats around southern VA but also not that knowledgable about distances to the major climbing areas.

going back to school would be a great bonus since i really want to finish my degree. although i could head back to school the following year in arkansas after pretty much making nothing next year while spending a lot of time climbing/hiking/paddling/biking. overall it can work out no matter what as i'll get more student aid the following year.

drake

Sep 20, 2004, 2:34 PM
Post #7 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, for goodness sake, stay away from southeast VA (where I live). Not much to do here. UVA, VATech, Radford (where I went), JMU, etc... are good bets. They are near major interstates so you can get places faster. The farther south you go, the longer the drive is to ice climb. Living near VA Beach, it takes 10 hours to get to Keene Valley. Smugs, N Conway is 13 to 14 hours and traffic up 95 can add several hours to that.
Drake

Partner supersonick

Sep 20, 2004, 2:58 PM
Post #8 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to UVA in Charlottesville and I can tell you that the climbing situation is grim. You have to be willing to drive extensively. However the school is excellent.

I think VA tech should be at the very top of your list. Their science programs, especially animal sciences, are excellent. Blacksburg is a nice little town, and you are very close to world-class climbing of all types. The New is a short distance away (sport mostly but also trad) and Boone is not too far in the other direction (bouldering). You're also much closer to Tenessee and Kentucky should you decide to take a longer trip.

If you're interested in climbing in a gym then you'll be hurting wherever you decide to go, except for Richmond or NoVA, but you sacrifice proximity to outdoor clmbing in either of those places.

diana

Sep 20, 2004, 7:54 PM
Post #9 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Virginia Tech is where I got my animal science degree (and it's on the same campus as the Va/MD vet school if that's the way you're leaning).

If I had been an "outside girl" when I was in college (instead of the lazy slug that I was), I could have found many things to do.

Diana

pico23

Sep 21, 2004, 3:25 AM
Post #10 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, for goodness sake, stay away from southeast VA (where I live). Not much to do here. UVA, VATech, Radford (where I went), JMU, etc... are good bets. They are near major interstates so you can get places faster. The farther south you go, the longer the drive is to ice climb. Living near VA Beach, it takes 10 hours to get to Keene Valley. Smugs, N Conway is 13 to 14 hours and traffic up 95 can add several hours to that.
Drake

Not really looking at SE VA. Doesn't look like much in terms of climbing and other stuff I enjoy. I can say goodbye to ice climbing for a few years so I'm not too worried about making the drive to Keene Valley. I'll miss the snow but mild winters are also nice every now and then. Getting up to go to work in the morning and it being -12F inside my car is loads of fun every now and then but weeks of it starts getting old. BTW, I live about 1:50 from keene valley right now.

pico23

Sep 21, 2004, 3:37 AM
Post #11 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Virginia Tech is where I got my animal science degree (and it's on the same campus as the Va/MD vet school if that's the way you're leaning).

I started out as a pre-vet/ANSC major but then shifted to micro with a minor in ANSC. Now I'm looking at my requirements and thinking i'm headed back the ANSC with a minor in micro. If your in a bioscience major you can often flip flop pretty easily until you get to the senior level courses. Definitely easier to finish up in ANSC then micro and the bottom line is I just want to finish up.

Vet school? Not headed that way, not me. To much dedication and too much school. and the return isn't much. if you can get into vet school you can easily get into med school and ultimately make a lot more money to offset all those loans. i know it sounds greedy, and it is. :twisted:

In reply to:
If I had been an "outside girl" when I was in college (instead of the lazy slug that I was), I could have found many things to do.

if i had been an inside guy and spent more time studying i'd be done right now and not have to worry about this stuff.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook