RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

phitty

Nov 9, 2004, 12:35 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Temperature Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So slackine veterans, I have a bit of a problem.

I have a slackline, primitive setup up (3 and at times 4 biners) that I set in the park bw 2 trees about 25-30 feet apart.

I used to be able to tighten this myself, to a suitable tension. ie. didnt touch the round, workable for small bounces and so on.

As of last week, I cant get it tight worth a sh@t.

3 possible reasons:

1: I didnt slack for a while 2 weeks or so, could my line have rebounded from not being tightened and therefore have more elasticity?

2: The weather has gotten damn cold lately, below freezing. Could this have an effect on the line? Less stretchy, more stretchy?

3: I have noticed that where the line passes through the biners, there is a small amount of wear / uneven stretch alng the edge for about 1". Will the line not go tight because the integrity of the webbing is compromised?

Any ideas on this?

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 9, 2004, 4:20 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Re: Temperature Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You didn't eat your Wheaties. :)

Seriously though, most likely it just had time to "recouperate" it's stretchiness. A more static line is easier to setup, however one that is still stretchy is much stronger and will last longer.

Just tighten it as best you can. Leave it for a while (10 minutes), release it then retension it. That'll help some if your really close to getting it where you need it. Or rig a more powrful method of tensioning the line.

I've not noticed a correlation between temp and stretchier webbing, but I can't say for sure that there isn't one.

oasis27alh

Nov 9, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on that topic, does weather have bad effects on the line, ie is it okay to leave it outside at night without tension when the weather dips below 30 degrees?

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 9, 2004, 4:37 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Water and UV do have effects on webbing. Water will certainly change the elasticity of the line if you leave it under tension.

Depends on how much you like your line and how long you want it to last. Some people leave their lines up all year in the snow/rain/sun, some leave them under tension most of the year. Others don't like the extra weakening of the system and take it down immediately after beign done it with. I'm kind of in that last camp myself. Others have had their lines messed with by neighbor kids and such - I can only imagine the liability problems if their parents are sue happy when they break an arm on it when your out of town.

As long as it isn't a life critical line, you can get away with it, but it will weather your webbing.

phitty

Nov 9, 2004, 5:13 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I know I can always find a better tightening system but I didnt used to need one, so i dont want to buy one now.

I think its the "recuperation" effect, most likely, because if I stick with it and tighten it ever couple minutes or so it will eventually be tight enough to use, although not optimal.

The cold really does seem to affect the line, its less flexible in your hands, and therefore should have more friction around the biners. Who knows really.

P.

Partner coldclimb

Nov 9, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recommend having a good line and a trash line. This way you have an excuse to leave one up all the time without worrying that your only slackline will die. ;)

I don't think the cold effects it much. I had a line up and down half of last winter, and there wass no difference in tightness or any noticable change in how hard it was to get tight. That trashy line does work a lot different than my near-new webbing for my non-trashy line though, from being so old and getting so abused. :)

theturtle

Nov 11, 2004, 7:35 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem is not the line or temperture, but your tensioning system. See what you can do to improve it, maybe the webbing is wearing out and giving you too much friction to pull the line tight. The 4 'biner method also produces alot of friction.

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Nov 11, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive noticed something with my line as well....at least concerning the weather. It seems that when the weather is cooler/colder the line is tighter and sort of "stiff". And when the weather is warmer....its looser and such. My friend has noticed this as well, so im pretty sure that it isnt just me. has anybody done any research or anything on something like this?

johnson6102002

Nov 15, 2004, 9:59 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ive noticed something with my line as well....at least concerning the weather. It seems that when the weather is cooler/colder the line is tighter and sort of "stiff". And when the weather is warmer....its looser and such. My friend has noticed this as well, so im pretty sure that it isnt just me. has anybody done any research or anything on something like this?

i too have noticed this on many occasions but its easily corrected by changing the tension on the line in the system

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Nov 16, 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah...there is problem in that though. im too lazy to tighten the line, so i just walk it however it is. Yeah. if its really really slack, it makes walking sort of difficult, but oh well, i try it anyways, and if is tighter then normal, then its all gravy, i can do drop knees and such mo-betta. yeah.

phitty

Nov 17, 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was warm here today (+9) and the line went tight no trouble at all.

It may sound stupid but it makes a difference, for whatever reason.

P.

Partner coldclimb

Nov 17, 2004, 9:50 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think we've already established that temperature doesn't effect lines, but just for more proof, I put up my tightest line ever yesterday, in temps ranging around 25F and it worked fine. I could actually get it tighter if I had more throw in my system. It's tight! 8^)

phitty

Nov 18, 2004, 12:05 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats not really what I was getting at.

I can't get the line as tight in cold weather, using the system I use in warm weather. Im absolutely sure.

Im not trying to say it isnt possible with a rachet system or by adding mechanical advantage. Yes, I agree it is possible ot get a line as tight in cold weather as it is in warm weather, but m convinced it takes more effort - especially if pulling by hand. (ie. no rachets)

I still don't know why though - more friction in it somewhere I suppose, whether through stiffer webbing at low temps, or less slip over the steel biners at low temp, or even my cold hands not pulling as hard?

Anyways, enough on this. No easy answer I guess.

P.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook