RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

far_east_climber

Feb 15, 2005, 11:13 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Hong Kong - Climbing instructor strangled by his own rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Article provided by SCMP - Hong Kong - Martin Wong (February 15th 2004)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A veteran rock-climber was strangled with his own climbing rope while descending from a popular but risky climb site yesterday.

The 47-year-old man, an instructor, had been climbing with six other people - including his 11-year-old son and 13-year-old daughter - at the Ng Tung Chai waterfall in the Lam Tsuen Country Park in Tai Po.

Police said a friend found him shortly after 5pm hanging from his rope. Rescue officers were called in to untie the unconcious man.

He was taken by Government Flying Services helicopter to Tuen Mun Hospital where he was declared dead shortly after arrival.

His colleagues were guided to safety with Civil Aid Service assistance. They told reporters the man was a rock-climbing instructor.

Police said the man's companions were helping them with their inquiries last night.

Ken Ng On-yeung, a qualified coach with the Hong Kong Mountaineering Union, said Ng Tung Chai was very popular with rock-climbing enthusiasts.

"There is a waterfall, which is very exciting for people in love with this sport."

Despite the scenic nature of the site, it was very risky, Mr Ng said, as the torrent from the waterfall could block climbers' eyes.

Mr Ng added that although more and more Hong Kong people participated in rock climbing, most of them did it at artificial indoor climbing sites.

"Few Hong Kong people climb in the natural environment."

Accidents such as yesterday's fatality were extremely rare, he said.

Mr Ng said climbers followed a strict list of rules.

The safety precautions included always being with a group or being partnered with a veteran rock climber.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anybody heard of an accident similar to this? I am trying to figure out how this could have occured.

azrockclimber

Feb 15, 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hong Kong - Climbing instructor strangled by his own rop [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The whole time i was reading this i was trying to figure out how it could have happened. I have no idea. I have to assume that the rappel was set up differently than a normal 1 rope rap. even if it wasn't, I mean lets say that the waterfall blasted him pretty good and he got really spun around and majorly tangled and somehow the rop got coiled around his neck. However, I would think that I could, let alone a veteran climber reach up grab the rope above me and pull myself up to release the coils?? Pehaps he was knocked unconscious while the coiling was going on. I guess the possibilities are endless but I have never heard of anything like this.
-peace and love to the climbers family.

far_east_climber

Feb 15, 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll post up some more details as soon as they are released. What I was guessing is that maybe he slipped, with the rope under tension on rappel his neck could have been jammed in between the rock/taut rope. I guess he could have even broken his neck in that case? Again as you said, he could have easily been knocked unconcious where anything could then happen. Despite what that article says, the area is usually a running waterfall (very rarely dry), so my guess is he was rappeling. Quite a tragic accident indeed.

jackhammer

Feb 15, 2005, 2:29 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no idea how it could have happened to him, but did anybody consider that it might have happened BY him and FOR him. It's a sick thought, but it's a sick world. I would need more details.

ben87

Feb 15, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder if the waterfall aspect is important. Certainly in swiftwater rescue, getting caught up in your own ropes is a major danger.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook