RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

cbauer1439

Feb 15, 2005, 1:55 PM
Post #1 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

MAMMUT? ARe they ANy GoOD?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I Recently bought a harness and the mammut climbing rope because im going to start lead climbing and im planning on taking a course at PRG, Does anyone know much about MAMMUT, does their equipment have a good reputation?

mendou

Feb 15, 2005, 2:01 PM
Post #2 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Re: MAMMUT? ARe they ANy GoOD? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you can read more about they, here:

http://www.mammut.ch/intro.asp

but in my opinion is a great brand for ropes and climbing gear!

mendou

Feb 15, 2005, 2:02 PM
Post #3 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can read more about Mammut, here:

http://www.mammut.ch/intro.asp

but, in my opinion, its a great brand for ropes and climbing gear!

roc-dude
Deleted

Feb 15, 2005, 2:04 PM
Post #4 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Ropes are the best..

anykineclimb

Feb 15, 2005, 2:52 PM
Post #5 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're asking AFTER buying the gear??

Oh BTW, its some of the best out there

bubba

Feb 15, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #6 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its a good thing you bought Mammut and then asked... if it was any other brand you'd be in big trouble right now... :wink:

Mammut ropes are the shizzle. Don't know about their harnesses tho.

maculated

Feb 15, 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #7 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mammut had some of the best offerings on the whole of the entire OR gear show. Innovative, useful, and practical.

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 15, 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #8 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mammuts slings and ropes are sweet. i own a bunch of the dyneema slings as well as a rope. to bad the other stuff they make is just mediocre.

glyrocks

Feb 15, 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #9 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just in case you didn't read everyone else's posts, mammut has excellent gear. I have a new pair of doubles and a handful of dyneema slings; both by far the best I own in their respective categories.

smearhound

Feb 16, 2005, 1:48 PM
Post #10 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mammut ropes have the best hand of any I've tried.

Partner cracklover

Feb 16, 2005, 3:21 PM
Post #11 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes.

GO

cbauer1439

Feb 17, 2005, 5:35 PM
Post #12 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, I had done some research on their website but you never know, people can say anything, obviously its not crap but i just wanted to know if they had a good reputation

mtman

Feb 17, 2005, 5:42 PM
Post #13 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a rope, slings and a soft shell of theirs and i really like all their stuff it is top notch and the construction and quality is excellent

mtman

sava6e

Feb 17, 2005, 5:49 PM
Post #14 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have heard in the past that there ropes are great, however i went climbing with a buddy who i have climbed with for a long time and trust a lot, and he has, well had a mammut rope, so one day we were at the crag there were 3 of us so i set up his rop as a top rope w a fig 8 on a bight so we could use an ascender, so we were climbing on it, anywho... so i eventually climb on it and i swear i checked everything before we climbed, and i get to the top and i happen to notice that the sheat of the rope was torn the whole way through, so i asked my buddy how long he's had the rope, and he says barely ONE season, and i told him well it will make a good doormat or something. after i got down i asked what brand it was and his repl was mammut. i personally will stick to a blue water after that, yes im sure as with everything you are bound to see a defect once and a while but for your sheath to rip, without even any abuse. i have pics of the rope if anyone is in dis-belief.

billhilly

Feb 17, 2005, 6:03 PM
Post #15 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mammut is the best. Thats all i've climbed on for the last decade. I've taken several 30-40 foot falls on my newest rope a mammut 10.2 dry and it's hanging in there.

wjca

Feb 17, 2005, 6:04 PM
Post #16 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

savage wrote: "...so i set up his rop as a top rope w a fig 8 on a bight so we could use an ascender, so we were climbing on it, anywho... so i eventually climb on it.."

What the hell does this mean? Were you ascending a fixed rope that sounds likely to have been dangled over an edge? If so, it probably is not the rope's fault for you and your group wearing a hole in the sheath.

By the way, capital letters, punctuation and SpellCheck will get you farther in this world than you may think.

josephgdawson

Feb 17, 2005, 6:43 PM
Post #17 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see a lot of people saying Mammut ropes are the best, but only one dude has mentioned why. He said that he has taken a couple of whippers on the rope and it is in good shape. Why are Mammut ropes so dope? I am thinking about getting a 9.8 or doubles for Sierra climbing and I am thinking about Mammut ropes or Eidelweiss. So, why are Mammut ropes so good?

Partner climbinginchico

Feb 17, 2005, 6:59 PM
Post #18 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I see a lot of people saying Mammut ropes are the best, but only one dude has mentioned why. He said that he has taken a couple of whippers on the rope and it is in good shape. Why are Mammut ropes so dope? I am thinking about getting a 9.8 or doubles for Sierra climbing and I am thinking about Mammut ropes or Eidelweiss. So, why are Mammut ropes so good?

I love my Mammut rope for a number of reasons:
It has by far the best hand and knottability of any rope I have used.
The dry coating actually works- Once when throwing the rope down for a rappell the wind caught it and put the last 5 meters of both ends in a stream. When I pulled it out, I couldn't even tell it had been there, aside from the beaded water on the sheath.
It has caught only a few leader falls, but the catches it has had have been nice and soft, and shows no undue wear.
On that note, it has held up remarkably well for having been used hard for a year. Minimal falls on it, but it has seen many many pitches of trad and sport, along with the occasional rappell and top rope. Minimal wear, and after I gave it a bath a couple nights ago, I of course checked it really thoroughly, and there is not a single spot where the wear is more pronounced- ie it's wearing evenly, even on the ends.

All in all, my next ropes will be Mammut doubles.

Edit: I also have exclusively Mammut 8mm dyneema slings. They are awesome- light, strong, thin. They work ideally for trad draws, and so far seem to be holding up really well. I like using the 48" ones for two bolt anchors- they are perfect length to replace a cordolette.

jt512

Feb 17, 2005, 7:06 PM
Post #19 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mammut is the best. Thats all i've climbed on for the last decade. I've taken several 30-40 foot falls on my newest rope a mammut 10.2 dry and it's hanging in there.

It survived several falls. Very impressive.

-Jay

Partner climbinginchico

Feb 17, 2005, 7:11 PM
Post #20 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

It survived several falls. Very impressive.

-Jay

You were asking for it "hillbilly" :lol: :lol:

punk

Feb 17, 2005, 7:46 PM
Post #21 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They are good like any other out there. Some have more specialized niche. Currently they are specializing in ropes and slings (although some are hyped to a ridicules point).
Personally, I don’t like their slings, too expensive, flimsy, mediocre strength, and way too thin for repeated use....Instead, for alpine I use 5.5mm titan loops with triple fisherman, a lot more versatile, plenty strong (~18KN) and heck more durable and did I said cheaper. For trad, I use the Blue Water spectra slings (27KN the strongest on the market and the most durable) and some nylon 11/16 for versatility.

sbaclimber

Feb 17, 2005, 8:30 PM
Post #22 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i have pics of the rope if anyone is in dis-belief.

I fully believe that the rope's sheath was torn, I just severely doubt that it 'just happened', and I would suggest that you do the same. Blue Water, Mammut, Sterling are all considered good reliable manufacturers, and they are not going to risk their reputations by producing a rope, that is probably going to save someone's life someday, that just falls apart with a little bit of use. No offense to anyone, but I would be extremely wary of climbing with someone who is ready to blame the way a rope is manufactured for its failure, rather than the possibility that it was simply missused.
and yes...I do own Mammut ropes, and yes...I am extremely happy with they way they perform (9.5mm wears a bit faster than thicker ropes, but the Infinity is such a sweet rope!).

Partner yannbuse

Feb 17, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #23 of 23 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have three mammut ropes. My 10.5 has gone through heavy usage with a couple falls but its still solid... i call it the 'tank', although i have a problem with the kink in it.
I also have two 9.5mm infinity.... the bomb! the dry coating works, ive noticed this more so when ice climbing and i dont find knots to be a pain with this rope.
Got the slings too and love them, expect for girth hitching horns and what not, for some reason they make feel a little nervous so i'll use a wider sling - sometimes webbing.
Got the transciever - very useful and powerful with many programmable options to relay between analog and digital signals. Although the range is slightly shorter and when in close range (less than a meter) in the recieving mode, the directional lights cease to be accurate.
hmm, oh and a Mammut jacket with gore-tex pack lite. If only i would take better care with my crampons and axes i woudlnt puncture the 'gore-tex pac lite' so much!

dont know if it helps, but generally mammut is solid

Yann

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook