RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

catga86

Jun 20, 2002, 12:03 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Hangboard Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Forgive me if this is a stupid question... I was wondering would if it be ok if I installed my hangboard just on a wall, not on a doorframe? Will I be kicking the wall a lot? I want to put it on a wall instead of the doorframe b/c I am short. All 5 feet of me.

Thanks
Cat

hangdoggypound

Jun 20, 2002, 12:36 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Hangboard Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I'm afraid you're going to kick the wall. I put one up above my closet, and my feet swing inside all the time.

I'm short as well, so I just pull a chair over, or leap up to the jugs on top. the middle ledges are ok for me to reach from the ground though.

Hope it helps.

djpuckle

Jun 24, 2002, 3:53 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think you'll kick it so much as drag across it. Hanging free will make you stronger!

mozea

Jun 24, 2002, 4:25 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a bit of hopefully helpful advice -- if you put your hangboard on a flat wall you are going to be dragging yourself up the wall everytime you do a pull up. I have mine over my doorway and it seems to work well, allowing my body to hang freely inside the doorway without problem. Also, you are going to want to be careful to find the studs in the wall to attach your hangboard to, as it will be bearing more weight than a simply constructed wall will be able to support. My hangboard (Metolius Simulator)wasn't quite wide enough to reach the studs above my doorframe so I had to first attach a piece of plywood, and then attach my hangboard to the plywood. Hope this helps.

psych

Jun 24, 2002, 4:59 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there's an old saying "The more bolts the better", it applies here. :-)

I put my hangboard in with a 2x8 hunk of plywood (painted to match the wall, women like that it seems, and this makes it "ok"), four lag bolts into the two studs it crosses over. Then just screw the thing in, no worries. Solid as you could ever want!

But yes, put it over a door frame, gives you a lot more range of things you can try and doesn't isolate one certain muscle required for directly vertical pull ups as opposed to slightly inclined, etc.

Mike...

jono13

Jun 28, 2002, 2:08 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess u could take some 2 by 4s and mount the board on those, but then u couldnt do L-hangs or levers. Above a doorway is your best bet, but careful when its windy, i had the door slam into my boys today

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook