Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

far_east_climber

Feb 20, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #1 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Climbing alone - How do you justify it?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently I have run into some conflict with various family members over climbing alone. I have spoken to various non-climbers about it, many say 'no, it is simply too much of a risk, what if you get hurt... who will be there to help?'. Of course there are completely rational reasons as to why one should not climb alone, but there are also reasons to justify it as an acceptable risk.

I am wondering what some of your opinions are on climbing alone. How do you justify what you do or do not do. We all have our own reasons... I'm just looking to see other views. Also, what are your own experiences with non-climbers attitudes towards climbing alone (or any other activity) - how do you go about talking to them about it?

If this is one of many similar threads, I couldn't find out because the search function wasn't working for me... :roll: (No, really).

irockclimbtoo

Feb 20, 2005, 3:15 PM
Post #2 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing alone - How do you justify it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ab

anykineclimb

Feb 20, 2005, 3:15 PM
Post #3 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just climbing isn't rational.
I think just about everyone has a hard time explaining climbing to non-climbers, even WITH others. Let alone, err, alone.

Don't waste your breath.

Like the saying goes:
"If I have to explain, you still won't understand"

jackhammer

Feb 20, 2005, 3:16 PM
Post #4 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think I would do it alone. The safety factor is paramount, although I do understand your point.

chrisparedes

Feb 20, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #5 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have bouldered alone several times. As long as the landing isn't to sketchy, I think that's okay. I dont think I'll ever try climbing alone though.

bandycoot

Feb 20, 2005, 4:20 PM
Post #6 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is too misunderstood. I know more people with severe injuries from cycling than from climbing but no one says, "You shouldn't go biking alone." It's not worth the argument. Don't tell them where you're going. Just go.

adamtd

Feb 20, 2005, 4:21 PM
Post #7 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is a purely selfish sport. Climbing solo is purely selfish. I find I try not to talk to nonclimbers about solo climbing because they can't understand it. The few that I do talk to about it though, I tell them that it ups teh commitment level and hones your focus.
As far as geting hurt, even when I'm climbing with a partner I feel that we should be able to perform a self rescue. You put yourself at risk, and if you get hurt, why put other's at risk to save you from your mistakes. I fele teh same way about soloing. When I solo, I go with the mindset that if something happens, I have to deal with it myself and not rely on other people for help.
I'll add a side note here. I'm a career firefighter and save people form their idiotic mistakes everyday. There are consequences for your behavior and actions and first responders around the country die on a regular basis to help these people. Just ask yourself if the end, being able to solo and rely on rescue services, is worth risking another person's life for yours. I solo on a regular basis, but I don't expect anyone to come bail me out if I screw up... morbid, but realistic.

ironmike

Feb 20, 2005, 4:26 PM
Post #8 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's nothing to justify. You just do it. I gave up climbing w/ partners years ago.

At least when you solo you don't have to worry about partners crapping out on you at the last minutes, besides it's a greater reward. You just have to assess the risks, and try to limit them.

Partner euroford

Feb 20, 2005, 4:32 PM
Post #9 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the only time i climb alone is for solo aiding.

i don't justify it, i just go climb.

d.ben
Deleted

Feb 20, 2005, 4:36 PM
Post #10 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TR solo when your system is backed up, I don't see more risk than climbing with someone else. I would tell my non climbing freinds that but they don't even understand the concept, so I say "dude the rope will catch me" it's easier than trying to explain the system. Free solo, I just don't tell anyone about it except my climbing partners who do it and I know they won't get all wierd or lecture me. My girlfriend overheard a conversation between a climbing parnter and I about FSing once, it was a headache for the whole night. I understand her concern, but she doesn't understand my awareness of my abilities.

Partner cracklover

Feb 20, 2005, 5:49 PM
Post #11 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell your family members that you appreciate their concerns, and you will learn self-rescue. Then go teach yourself (or take a class in) self rescue techniques. You'll be safer, and your family will be a little less worried.

GO

hello_heino

Feb 20, 2005, 5:55 PM
Post #12 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unlike scuba diving, the soul of climbing is individual accountability, not a buddy system. Since, in the end, you are ultimately responsible for you rown actions and outcomes, climbing alone needs no rationalization or justification. If you have parents, you need follow their wishes, regardless of whether or not it is justified. When you become an fully independent adult, do what you want to. Until then, toe the line your parents lay down.

Period.

mack_north

Feb 20, 2005, 6:44 PM
Post #13 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I justify climbing alone because I live in North Dakota and have a disagreeable personality, which makes it difficult to find partners.

Keep in mind the words of one of those old dead German philosophers - what we do is never understood, merely praised or blamed.

What I am finding even more difficult to justify is purchasing Girl Scout cookies. Kor knows I love Thin Mints and would probably keep buying them even if I found out they were a fundraiser for Hezbollah. But $3 a box? And the boxes keep getting smaller every year!

Not only that, but I think a little girl should sell me my "Girl Scout" cookies. Yesterday in front of the Safeway I bought three boxes from the parents while the girl sat sullenly on a folding chair playing some sort of handheld video game. She never even acknowledged the transaction or made eye contact!

What has society come to?

hello_heino

Feb 20, 2005, 6:46 PM
Post #14 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I justify climbing alone because I live in North Dakota and have a disagreeable personality, which makes it difficult to find partners.

Keep in mind the words of one of those old dead German philosophers - what we do is never understood, merely praised or blamed.

What I am finding even more difficult to justify is purchasing Girl Scout cookies. Kor knows I love Thin Mints and would probably keep buying them even if I found out they were a fundraiser for Hezbollah. But $3 a box? And the boxes keep getting smaller every year!

Not only that, but I think a little girl should sell me my "Girl Scout" cookies. Yesterday in front of the Safeway I bought three boxes from the parents while the girl sat sullenly on a folding chair playing some sort of handheld video game. She never even acknowledged the transaction or made eye contact!

What has society come to?

It has come to exactly what you have let it become. Why keep buying the cookies? In doing so, you vote "yes" that it ok for the girl to be taken out of the Girl Scouts.

Sacrifice thin mints for accountable behavior and the world will "become" what you think it should. Until then.....

collegekid

Feb 20, 2005, 7:02 PM
Post #15 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering alone can be a much better workout than bouldering with your friends, especially if you're short on time. I don't think many people would be interested in following you around while you do your circuit. Also, if you need some time away from studying or work or whatever, the focus you get when there's no one to distract you can be pretty relaxing (kinda like when you're running).

mistertyler

Feb 20, 2005, 7:05 PM
Post #16 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it depends on what type of climbing you're referring to.

At the moment, the only solo-climbing I do is TR. I love it and would argue that, when rigged properly, it's safer than climbing with a partner. That said, I love climbing with others but, since quitting my job last summer, I've found that climbing alone can be easier than going through the hassle of finding new partners. (And climbing with random people seems even more dangerous to be than climbing alone....at least when it comes to TR'ing...)

philfell

Feb 20, 2005, 7:55 PM
Post #17 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb for my own personal reasons, not for the aproval of others.

justafurnaceman

Feb 20, 2005, 7:57 PM
Post #18 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I solo climb because my climbing buddies moved away and I haven't found new ones yet. Plus I often climb spur of the moment, which is hard for some people. While traveling home from a job, or between jobs if I see a rock I'll try to hike up to it and climb it.

There are several things you can do. One is to learn about self rescue and practice it, make sure you're prepared (have plenty of biners, straps, cord, rope, a whistle, knife, radio/cell phone, etc... think like a Boy Scout, then there's always; don't do anything stupid that would put yourself in a position to use those extra stuff.

flamer

Feb 20, 2005, 8:02 PM
Post #19 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I solo in all it's forms.
I fully except that i might die doing it.
This is the only way to justify it....if it's worth it(to you) to live your life this way than do it...otherwise back to the couch.

josh

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 20, 2005, 8:16 PM
Post #20 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have bouldered alone several times. As long as the landing isn't to sketchy, I think that's okay. I dont think I'll ever try climbing alone though.

:nono:

are you saying bouldering isnt climbing? that could get some people very angry u know...

easye

Feb 20, 2005, 8:58 PM
Post #21 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb alone alot, usualy because i lack a partner to go with. I try not to do anything really risky though, mostly just alot of bouldering.

I always try to tell someone where im going and when i plan on returning so I dont end up stuck in canyon for days with my hand stuck under a rock.

I think as long as you know your limits its a great way to cllimb and to be able to concentrate on what you came to do, climb.

akclimber

Feb 20, 2005, 9:05 PM
Post #22 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when asked, your response should be along the lines of

I DO WHAT I WOANT!
(prounounce as spelled)

justafurnaceman

Feb 20, 2005, 9:07 PM
Post #23 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I always try to tell someone where im going and when i plan on returning so I dont end up stuck in canyon for days with my hand stuck under a rock.

make sure you bring your jackknife. You never know when you're going to need it.

gunked

Feb 20, 2005, 9:08 PM
Post #24 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's actually a pretty simple explanation as there is risk in anything we do.

To those loved ones that, you feel, you need to explain your actions to:

Allow them to understand that there is risk in everything we do. I find that most people, who don't understand climbing, are apt to label me an 'adrenaline junkie' or the like. If their understanding of my risks is relevant to me, I let them know that, statistically speaking, their driving a car is far more dangerous than climbing. They have to rely on their own driving skill as well as everybody else's driving skills on the road. I, have only to rely on my own skill. It (climbing) allows me an unsurpassed bond with my natural surroundings. The skills that I learn in climbing on a daily basis carry over to everyday life on a molecular level. Skills such as what choices are made and how they are made. etc...

I could go on for pages!

Think about what climbing really means to you and allow them some insight into your world. Be smart about what you do and remember that those that love you ARE affected by your choices. I, for one, never go soloing without letting someone know where and when I'm going. I also tell them what time to expect a call from me by (giving myself a few hours, at least, to bail my own ass out). I also let them know who to call if I should need help. This gives them some power to help control a situation, should one arise. There's nothing as bad as a loved one being hurt and you feeling powerless to help them. Don't do that to your loved ones.

Hope that helped,
Jason

jimdavis

Feb 20, 2005, 9:56 PM
Post #25 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know for me, I don't go climbing to have an experience with others usually, unless they're some hot girl I'm taking out for the first time or something. It's about how I feel when I'm leading rock.

I like to get in that zone of doing what I have to to protect myself and get to the top, and not worry about much else. I don't like talking all the time to my partners when I'm climbing for myself. That said I do instruct, so that's a whole other story.

I climb solo on TR sometimes, because I don't usually have that confidence in myself to free-solo, but climbing something solo on TR seems very limiting to me.

I used to believe that people who free-solo'ed were putting themselves in extreem danger, and that doing so was irresponsible. I've come to see why some of them do it, and I don't think it's irresponsible - unless they have a family to provide for.

It's a tough call, and I hope it's not an activity that gets publisized much more, because it's something that should be reserved for the select few who have been around long enough to know what they're really doing. I think the more hype it gets, the more ballsy beginners will try it on their 5.7's, and they'll pancake.

It's all about the experience you get while climbing, and to those who free-solo, they get something more because of it.

Cheers,
Jim

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook