Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
J-Tree Travel
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

feeluck

Feb 21, 2005, 9:19 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1439 views)
Shortcut

J-Tree Travel  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've had some trouble finding on this site or anywhere details about getting to and from J-tree. I'll be flying into Palm Springs airport on a Saturday evening, and ideally i'd like to get to the park that night, but what is the best way to get there? I was hoping to find a shuttle service, but i see no signs of that; could always try to make friends and bum a ride, but at night it could be a little risky. Could take a taxi, but would be expensive i think. Any suggestions/comments from the experienced?

Also, any info on getting off of the climbs at j-tree would be appreciated. Are their rap rings at most areas and popular climbs, or are their walk offs?

Thanks for the help.

cgranite

Feb 21, 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Re: J-Tree Travel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also, any info on getting off of the climbs at j-tree would be appreciated. Are their rap rings at most areas and popular climbs, or are their walk offs?

Thanks for the help.

Your joking,...right?

Your not going to be in sportsvill. I don't mean to be rude, but you need to have a strong understanding on building an equalized anchor. Walk offs are all over the place, but you will need a cool head on some.

I don't know about shuttles into the park, but there is transit to 29 palms. From there you can go to Nomads and find a ride with someone in.

Best of Luck,...Don't add to the other deaths this year.
Be Smart!

feeluck

Feb 22, 2005, 6:50 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks... fortunately i'm comfortable with my anchoring ability, both gear and non. What I was hinting at was if there is a setup like the Gunks where with a little walk after topping out you can almost always find slings and rings to get back down (and sometimes bolts) or if its more of a walk off or rap off bolts type area.
I know everyone isnt leaving gear anchors at the top of every climb, so what are they doing? Appologize if i wasnt clear before.

Also, other suggestions on travel appreciated.

chanceboarder

Feb 22, 2005, 8:12 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

some routes have rap anchors, some routes have boulders you could sling and rap, some routes have walk off, and some routes have down climbs. it all depends on where you go. theres no standard way to get back down. the new guide book with 60 routes tells you what the decent is like for every climb in the book and in the vogel guide sometimes it will tell you how to get back down. you can pick up either guide at nomads in joshua tree.

as for getting to the park from the airport, i'd rent a car. thats probably your best bet to get into the park and into a campsite that evening. theres no transportation into the park other then a personal car. its either drive yourself or bum a ride.

hope this helps.
cheers,
jason

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook