RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

marmot

Jun 20, 2002, 2:43 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1351 views)
Shortcut

keeping coils separate for top-roping?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Went out to a local man-made climbing rock the other night to practice belaying and just get some time on the rock. I went to the top to set the top rope, and dropped my rope. When I got to the bottom, I had to sort through the rope to get an end for my wife to tie in.

Does anyone have any suggestions for coiling/folding the rope so when I set the top anchor, I can have the two ends separate making it easier to get tied in and the belay set up.

Please note, I'm talking only about setting a top rope when I have walk up access to the top of the route.

Thanks!

jumaringjeff

Jun 20, 2002, 4:02 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1351 views)
Shortcut

keeping coils separate for top-roping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the procedure I like to follow:

1. Hike to the top of the climb.
2. Set up at least 2 bomber anchors.
3. Tie the ends of my rope together using a dbl. fisherman's knot (which doubles the rope).
4. Clip one strand of the doubled rope into the properly equalized anchor point, lowering the rope to the ground.
5. Rappell to the ground.
6. After de-rigging from the rappell, pull on one of the two strands of rope hanging from the anchors. Eventually you'll see the knot you tied rise from the pile of rope. Untie it, tie your climber to the short end.

-jj

jumaringjeff

Jun 20, 2002, 4:04 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1351 views)
Shortcut

keeping coils separate for top-roping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the procedure I like to follow:

1. Hike to the top of the climb.
2. Set up at least 2 bomber anchors.
3. Tie the ends of my rope together using a dbl. fisherman's knot (which doubles the rope).
4. Clip one strand of the doubled rope into the properly equalized anchor point, lowering the rope to the ground.
5. Rappell to the ground.
6. After de-rigging from the rappell, pull on one of the two strands of rope hanging from the anchors. Eventually you'll see the knot you tied rise from the pile of rope. Untie it, tie your climber to the short end.

-jj

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook