Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing after the rain
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

slamurai

Feb 22, 2005, 2:45 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Climbing after the rain  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am thinking about heading to Jtree this weekend, but was curious about the condition of the rock after all this rain. Will it be dry enough to climb? Does it even matter? Thanks.

fernregan

Feb 22, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing after the rain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check the weather, its still suppposed to be raining this weekend. Less of a chance, but more of the same. The rocks tend to dry out pretty quick after a rain or days of rain. Some of the tops may have big puddles. The rock is very textured so even on wet slab you can stick. If worst comes to worst...set up some top ropes or go aiding. Have fun.

slamurai

Feb 22, 2005, 3:05 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I already checked the weather. it's suppossed to be pretty decent. my question was more about the rock. Will I be breaking holds? If Jtree is out, can anyone recommend somewhere local that'll be dry enough to climb this weekend?

csproul

Feb 22, 2005, 3:10 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jtree is good in a relatively short time. It dries out much more quickley than sandstone areas like Red Rocks. I think you and a few hundred others are hoping it will be clear out there this weekend.

crackmd

Feb 22, 2005, 3:25 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Water does not weaken the quartz monzonite of Jtree like it does the sandstone of Red Rocks. You can climb after a rain without fear of breaking holds off at Jtree. It should dry off within an hour or two after the rain stopped, but as mentioned, topouts can be wet. Some cracks can also seep water. Who cares though after the total washouts we have experienced the past few weeks. I need to climb!

enjoimx

Feb 22, 2005, 9:26 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there this weekend taking a class. The guide continued teaching through the rain. We were building anchors and everything. During this time, I also saw other people climbing. We climbed about 40 minutes after it stopped raining. Our anchors held. I guess the rock drys out really fast. :D

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 22, 2005, 9:33 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was there this weekend taking a class. The guide continued teaching through the rain. We were building anchors and everything. During this time, I also saw other people climbing. We climbed about 40 minutes after it stopped raining. Our anchors held. I guess the rock drys out really fast. :D

Hey! You were in that class?! Me and two of my friends went there to climb (trying to gt out of the rain in Indian Cove proved not to work :()
My friend left her shoes tucked into the rock on short wall (where your class was) and one of the guides picked them up and left a note at Nomad! Happy ending, she got her shoes back. Sunday was a much nicer day tho, we got up 3 routes before the rain came back!

So, just go, hang out, and wait for a break in the clouds!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook