Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
What gear do I need for basic Aid climbing.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

kpj240789

Feb 27, 2005, 5:09 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1261 views)
Shortcut

What gear do I need for basic Aid climbing.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What gear should I get?

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 27, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Re: What gear do I need for basic Aid climbing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for threads like this i always answer the same thing; if u dont know what gear to get you probably dont have the experience necesary to use it. find a friend or guide who can give u a little intro to aid climbing. theyll show u the basics and eventually you will be able to lead some easy pitches (thats about all ive done). you may try it and decide you dont like it, id recomend not getting the aid gear till your sure u want to persue it. happy climbing, and be safe.

mingleefu

Feb 27, 2005, 7:22 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Re: What gear do I need for basic Aid climbing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have a basic trad rack, you've got the goods to have a go at practicing some aid climbs. Eventually, you'll need to double up on many parts of your trad rack to do full pitches of clean aid (120-150 feet). Beside the pro, you pretty much need to pick up just a few aiders and some daisies (How many? Do a Search. No, do many searches. This info is out there.) That is assuming you have the rope, harness, and gobs of biners. Be sure you're wearing a brain bucket.

That's the skinny on "basic" aid gear.
If you're talking multi-night excursions, you start talking about haulbags, pulleys, and all manners of vertical camping gear. If you want to learn some pin-craft, you'd pick up some metal, hammer, heads and hooks. It only gets more complicated. Be prepared to deplete your savings and max your credit cards before you're done buying a "complete" aid rack...It's never complete. There's always that one other piece of gear that would give rest to your pathetic insecure mind at the diciest moments, if only you had it just then.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook