Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ropeburn

Jan 27, 2005, 8:38 PM
Post #51 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Re: the best food after a day of climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Harpers for a six of Sam and a bag of victory chips.

sportclmbr20

Jan 29, 2005, 2:50 AM
Post #52 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Miguels pizza at RRG! It's the best!

crackmd

Jan 29, 2005, 3:08 AM
Post #53 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Ponderosa Lodge near the Needles in California. Great steaks and salad bar.

Hmm...I ate there this summer while visiting the Needles. Can't even remember what I had, other than that it was mediocre and overpriced. It wasn't a steak though. I do remember the salad bar looked fairly pathetic.

On the other hand, there's nowhere else to eat out within an hour's drive. Next time I hit the Needles, though, I'll just stay in camp.

My favorites include Ed's Cantina in Estes Park (good margs), Illegal Pete's in Boulder, Moab Brewery when in Moab (for the weekday dime wings, mostly, but their beer is actually pretty good for being 3.2).

In the North Rim campground, beer seems to taste reeaally good on the picnic tables, and seriously, the Conoco station in Hotchkiss (on the way back from the Black) has the world's best milkshakes!

That's interesting. I was on a Needles climbing trip with my buddy who is a militant vegan. After 4 days in camp, I felt the need for a heartier meal and was able to conn my partner into coming along; he had doubts about a place called Ponderosa being vegan-friendly. He ended up being pleasantly surprised with the variety and freshness of the salad bar and I was ecstatic about my medium-rare New York and grenade-sized potato. Pretty good selection of beers and wines as well. What's ironic is that he is usually a real pain in the ass to eat out with (he would probably say the same thing about me), but the Ponderosa seemed to cater to both of our tastes. Sorry you didn't have a good experience there.

timstich

Jan 29, 2005, 4:26 AM
Post #54 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For after climbing in the Boulder area, I'll go to the Dark Horse on Baseline and get hot wings and fried mushrooms. Besides beer, you can get mixed drinks as well. The decor is nice and musty, with old, worn wood booths, stuffed coyotes, and junk-strewn nooks. This is a true institution, and more than a few climbers are into it. Alas, they do not have a brewerie there. This would put the destination over the top if they did.

tradkelly

Jan 29, 2005, 5:12 AM
Post #55 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's always a fine idea after mountaineering in middle Colorado (Buena Vista, the Sawatch range, and similar areas) to swing by Pancho's (about a half block south of the grocery, and a half block north of the only stoplight) to get a Mondo Combo Burrito. It's under $3 and the salsa is serve-yourself.
Is it wonderful and better than anything else you could get elsewhere? No. Is it the best this town offers? Well, I suppose that depends on your budget. Is it deserved after climbing 14ers and depleting your energy reserves? Heck yeah, you deserve it. It's a tradition with my friends and myself. And it's (probably) better for you than McDonalds.
I'd definitely recommend it.

Oh, and Alberto's is the best tacqueria in Co Spgs after you hit Pikes, Turkey Rock, the south SPlatte, or Garden of the Gods. They're open super late and early, the #6 chicken enchilada/taco combo and the steak burrito are awesome, and the red hot sauce really is the best salsa in town, homemade. It's 1/8 mile south on 21st from the intersection of US24 (Cimmaron) and 21st street, on the way to EVERYTHING from the highway and downtown. Feel free to send me an invoice if you think I'm wrong.

kelly

phugganut

Jan 29, 2005, 5:34 AM
Post #56 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arriba's at Tahquitz
Royal Siam at J-Tree
The Mean Bean for breakfast at Zion
and for day trips to N. AZ that little rest restaurant/farmer's market/honkey tonk bar at Rock Springs.

cchildre

Jan 29, 2005, 5:34 AM
Post #57 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well if I am at the local crag!
A Green Chili Cheeseburger at the Queen Store!
Wichita's!
A Meers Burger!
Questa Dome!
A Green Chili Combination Burrito at Wildcats!
Dead Cholla Wall!
Allsups Burrito's!

happyinthealpine

Jan 29, 2005, 7:30 AM
Post #58 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Steak and beer. Althogh there have been times where I lived on side kicks for weeks on end. I get quite gluttonous after climbing none the less, and beer makes me happy.

takeme

Jan 29, 2005, 4:06 PM
Post #59 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's interesting. I was on a Needles climbing trip with my buddy who is a militant vegan. After 4 days in camp, I felt the need for a heartier meal and was able to conn my partner into coming along; he had doubts about a place called Ponderosa being vegan-friendly. He ended up being pleasantly surprised with the variety and freshness of the salad bar and I was ecstatic about my medium-rare New York and grenade-sized potato. Pretty good selection of beers and wines as well. What's ironic is that he is usually a real pain in the ass to eat out with (he would probably say the same thing about me), but the Ponderosa seemed to cater to both of our tastes. Sorry you didn't have a good experience there.

Hmm...perhaps I've become a salad snob thanks to all of our wonderful salad bars here in the People's Republic of Boulder.

But seriously, you're so enthused about the place that I might just have to try it again after all. Unfortunately I don't eat steak though.

takeme

Jan 29, 2005, 4:08 PM
Post #60 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For after climbing in the Boulder area, I'll go to the Dark Horse on Baseline and get hot wings and fried mushrooms. Besides beer, you can get mixed drinks as well. The decor is nice and musty, with old, worn wood booths, stuffed coyotes, and junk-strewn nooks. This is a true institution, and more than a few climbers are into it. Alas, they do not have a brewerie there. This would put the destination over the top if they did.

Tim, I love the Dark Horse too. The hot wings are good, but the decor and the ambiance are out of this world. Second favorite bar in the People's Republic. For some reason I never end up going there after climbing though.

quickclips

Feb 28, 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #61 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
sportclmbr20
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2005 02:50 Post subject: Re: the best food after a day of climbing?
Miguels pizza at RRG! It's the best!

I'm going to second that but first a stop at the beer trailer just over the county line.

2nd would be Hooty's at Devils lake. But don't be fooled stay away from teh za there.

3rd. anything cold, fermented, and frothy.

C

kpj240789

Feb 28, 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #62 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Taco Bueno

climb_high4life

Feb 28, 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #63 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No particular place, but I really like Mexican food, some kind of pasta, or a big juicy steak. Thats just me. :D

blouderk2

Feb 28, 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #64 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lucky Boy

I get the breakfast burrito no matter what time it is! They are great, everyone should try them! MMMMMM :)

andrewbanandrew

Mar 1, 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #65 of 65 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pasta with spicy marinara sauce and meatballs + IPA

-or-

Spicy chicken tomato, potato, and veggie soup with rice + IPA

I like tomatoes, and IPAs.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?