RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

mother_sheep

Mar 1, 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Kelso Ridge In Winter
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My partner and I are looking at doing Kelso Ridge on Sunday. The route looks more fun as a winter climb as opposed to summer. For those of you who have done it, did you need any gear? Is there any ice on the route? Do you descend via the Torrey's walkup? Any do's and don't or worthy beta to share? Thanks.

zozo

Mar 1, 2005, 5:09 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Re: Kelso Ridge In Winter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.bettercamper.com/...id/127/object_id/229

mother_sheep

Mar 1, 2005, 5:15 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks zozo but I need winter beta.

climb14er

Mar 1, 2005, 7:17 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kelso is a neat ridge for the winter with exposure and footing problems that can occur with excess snow, ice and wind. Basically it's a fun route and a rope with some slings, a few stoppers/hexes (optional) are all you need. You could exit via standard Torrey's finish or climb Greys or come on down one of the couloirs if not snow loaded.

rocknap

Mar 1, 2005, 7:32 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guess I might as well post this for everyone who's curious.. I've climbed Kelso twice in February, once on a multinight and last saturday in one day.

Here's the one day trip report:
http://www.summitpost.org/cgi-bin/trip_report.pl?trip_report_id=1792&mountain_id=229

Here are the pics:
http://gallery.sage-tech.net/album56

-s

shorty

Mar 1, 2005, 7:36 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My partner and I are looking at doing Kelso Ridge on Sunday. The route looks more fun as a winter climb as opposed to summer.
It's definitely more of a challenge in the winter, and less crowded & more rewarding.

In reply to:
For those of you who have done it, did you need any gear?
Being the eternal wuss, I took a full-length ice axe, a 25 meter 9 mil dynamic rope, maybe a handfull of slings, a set of stoppers, and camalots .5 to 1 (I think). We did not bring pickets or screws, as it was early in season -- all the snow & ice was shallow and unconsolidated. We did not bring crampons, nor did we need them. We did not need the axes, had no real use for ice screws, and used a few of the stoppers and maybe the smaller cams. I remember the cracks being relatively small, with probably nothing larger than .5 or .75 Camalot.

In reply to:
Is there any ice on the route?
The knife ridge was covered with mixture of wet snow, water, and verglass -- can you say slippery? We roped up at the ridge and traversed on the north side. I set a belay just before the wider white ridge, then scrambled across the top of it without incident.

In reply to:
Do you descend via the Torrey's walkup? Any do's and don't or worthy beta to share?
I think we hiked over to Grays and descended the normal trail, vying for space with the local goat herd. Had we traversed to the normal trail at the Grays/Torreys saddle, we probably would have needed to use the ice axes.

In clear weather, you can preview most of the route from the Bakerville exit sign. As of last Sunday, there is definitely some snow on the ridge, but rock is also quite visible. Expect some pockets of deep, unconsolidated snow (good postholing!) and sections of wind-scoured hard snow.

I recall a short 3rd-class section low on the ridge which was an absolute blast. Brushing snow off the holds and big stems to avoid the ice covered rock sections.

Most likely, your highest avy danger will be in the approach to the Kelso-Torreys saddle and your descent off the east face of Torreys and/or Grays. Using the shorty wild-ass-guess-ometer (patent pending), conditions probably won't warrant crampons or screws. An axe would be a good idea, though.

I don't know if you can currently drive to the normal Grays parking lot. If you have to start hiking from the Bakerville exit, it will be a long slog of a day. You'll have more snow on the route than we did, but it should still be fun.

brokenarrow

Mar 1, 2005, 7:57 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Skibabeage:

I have been lurking this site for a while now and must apologize for making this my first post. However your advice to mother_sheep set off some bells in my head.

After reviewing many pages of mother_sheep's posts I have determined she is a climber of average ability (no slight intended of course) who gets out regularly, has already had a couple of close calls, and who, by her own admission, doesn't ski.

Your post history profiles a climber who gets occasionally gets out on easy routes as a second, who skis from time to time, but who doesn't have any significant experience off piste and who, by your own admission, has yet to take an avalanche course.

My problem is that you're doling out advice pertaining to matters about which you seem to have little real-time experience. I have observed this happening almost every day on this site and quite frankly find it irresponsible.

A trip to the Kelso Ridge in winter entails travel through terrain with historical avalanche activity, followed by mixed rock and snow climbing; a fact that was omitted in your post.

Furthermore, your advice to "Bring skis and carve your retreat down Dead Dog Couloir!" ignores the fact that said descent is most safely performed in the "climb it before you ski it" style and not simply as a fast way off the top. The fact you have not done that ski route, compounded by mother_sheep's lack of skiing ability, especially lends gravity to the potential for disaster.

I would ask you to consider the weight some people would put behind your online advice, especially in light of your position of authority on this website.

As for Kelso Ridge in winter, mother_sheep, I have done it several times in a variety of conditions. My advice would be to go with someone who knows and to turn around without hesitation is something doesn't feel right.

I wish you both continued good luck in your climbing careers.

mother_sheep

Mar 1, 2005, 8:14 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back on track. . .

So is my only option in getting up the road to the trailhead by skis or is the road passable with an AWD vehicle?

Thanks!

brokenarrow

Mar 1, 2005, 8:25 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Skibabeage:

No need to play the self-righteous indignation card so early. I did in fact pick up on the fact the two of you are friends. But what about the poor inexperienced schlub looking for something to do this weekend who just happens to come across your exchange? Oh, hey - the Dead Dog Couloir - let's go do that on Saturday!

Think about it.

There was no need to put in-depth research in quotes; it was your term, not mine.

And now, as you will no doubt be inclined to do (as indicated by my "research"), I will end this joyous reparte and give you the last word.

Again, my best.

mother_sheep

Mar 1, 2005, 8:32 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
So is my only option in getting up the road to the trailhead by skis or is the road passable with an AWD vehicle?
With some recent snows near the divide, the road could be a little iffy for driving. Unless someone has been up the road within the past week and can verify its condition, you may want to take block out 2 or 3 hours on Saturday to preview the approach drive.

Thanks Brad!

shorty

Mar 1, 2005, 8:34 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
With some recent snows near the divide, the road could be a little iffy for driving. Unless someone has been up the road within the past week and can verify its condition, you may want to take block out 2 or 3 hours on Saturday to preview the approach drive.

mack_north

Mar 1, 2005, 8:43 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey gang, whose up for schlubbing up the Kelso Ridge on Sunday? I made some homemade crampons for my Sorels and I am just DYING to test them out! Will my AMC Pacer make it to the trailhead or can I just figureskate?

It's cool if we get in a whiteout - my Swatch watch has a compass!

cologman

Mar 1, 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey can I catch a ride in the Pacer? Would be a good prelude to carving the hell out of the Dead Dog. But then as I've only been on skiis once this year :shock: it may be more of a straight line affair. Better yet since I'm so impressed with the low learning curve associatted with boarding I'll just take the split rig up there and give it a go :roll: .

Hey Tracy, have fun!

kcrag

Mar 4, 2005, 3:34 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deleted

squeakyclimber

Mar 4, 2005, 4:49 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alrighty then...

This route is not so hard, but is scary enough when you are looking up the ridge rising thousands of feet above you.

I did this route last year around this time, right after a large snow. There were a fewimportant things.

One everything had 3 feet of loose snow on every thing, even 60 degree rock steps. The only thing that made this confortable was the crampons which allow you to climb up ice covered rocks. Going with out them would be a big mistake.

As to the knife edge, yes I did carry a rope, but rather than go over it i went around it to thenorth. I have done this both in summer and winter. Yet you do lose style points for doing this, but the point of third class ridge is not the ropework, at least for me. Going around was fairly easy and lacked the death fall potential

We got a bit lost comming off of the back side in a blizzard, but you just need to remeber that if you have not walked of a cornice the draniage is to your right. Be Careful about cornices, one of the 4 times I have climbed the peak I was about 2 feet shy of stepping through one.

At 5 in the morning we our jeep cherokee with A/T tires stuck 1/4 mile from the summer trail head. A bit of cussing and lots of exahust and we backed down 100 yards to a wide spot where we left it. Just dont be dumb, in the early morning light I thought that the snowmobile tracks were jeep tracks.

I like candy canes and lolly pops.

Peace out.

P.s. Does anyone think it would be possible to put a route up the south? face that isto the left of Dead dog? I have looked at it every time I have been in the area, and it looks like with linking some snow and a rock band or two, a route could go almost straight up the face to the summit. hmmmm
(I write like an idot, guess 5 page papers for school burn me out)

sharpie

Mar 4, 2005, 7:13 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...deja vu all over again.....

:|

maculated

Mar 4, 2005, 7:29 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey! How's "contempt of court" treating you?

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook