Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wa_hoo

Feb 28, 2005, 2:42 AM
Post #1 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

wire gate feel - yuck
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, so I've been leading since October, so am still quite new. We went to a different gym and they had wiregate biners. I have to say I didn't like the feel at all. I actually like the weight and snapping of the regular biners as they close.

I know the wiregate ones weigh less, but I just didn't like em. Anyone else partial to the solid gate biners (is that what you call them)?

glyrocks

Feb 28, 2005, 2:45 AM
Post #2 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Re: wire gate feel - yuck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, I love me wiregates. They're light, and clip the rope like a champ.

ikellen

Feb 28, 2005, 2:48 AM
Post #3 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know how hard you lead, but once you get on HARD overhanging stuff where you need to clip fast, you will love wiregates ;)

ryan112ryan

Feb 28, 2005, 2:57 AM
Post #4 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was the same way, they are actually better, wire gates avoid "gate shudder" which normal carbs suffer from, which can be serious. plus they are lighter and just as strong:

In reply to:
In reply to:
i seem to have this metal idea that wire gates are weaker

Upon first visual inspection it could be easy to think that, but a quick look at the strength ratings printed on the 'biner should dispel that idea.

Some samples from my rack; major axis, gate closed:
Petzl Spirit: 23 kN (not a wire gate)
BD Positron: 25 kN (not a wire gate)
BD Neutrino: 24 kN (wire gate)
BD Hotwire 25 kN (wire gate)

As you can see, both of the wire gates in this particular group are in fact rated as strong or stonger than the weakest non-wire gated 'biner.

Now what about open-gate strength?

Spirit: 9.5 kN
Positron: 9kN
Neutrino: 8 kN
Hotwire: 9kN

The (limited) data indicate that there is no correlation between wire gates and weaker strength ratings.

Hope that helps.

--J

Edited for spelling

so just visually make sure that the rope is clipped, which you already should to guard against back / Z clipping, which im sure you do :)

also check this thread which is kinda related and where the above quote comes from http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p?t=80951&highlight=

overlord

Feb 28, 2005, 2:26 PM
Post #5 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its mostly a matter of preference. i really like them (so easy to clip, no shutter etc) so i use them. but if you dont like them, feel free to use "normal" biners.

shorty

Feb 28, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #6 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Biners are definitely a personal preference item. When you're on the sharp end, confidence with your gear allows you to free you mind to concentrating on the task at hand.

After using -- and unfortunately sometimes buying -- a number of brands and types of biners over the years, I ended up standardizing most of my rack with Petzl Spirits. I like Spirits because they are relatively strong, have a notchless gate, are relatively light weight, have a great feel, and make a reassuring sound when clipped. OK, so the sound is probably a lame reason. Spirits may no longer be a state-of-the-art biner, in part due to their now somewhat pudgy 50 grams weight. But I really, really like their feel.

Not long ago I scored some booty BD Live Wires, my first wire gates. Until I used them, I had an emotional dislike of wire gate biners. I know wire gates are lighter and can be designed to be very strong, but I just didn't like their feel. Now I'm sold on the Live Wires, and even have a some BD Oval Wires for racking and general use.

My bottom line is that I still like my purdy anodized Spirits, but in many situations I feel certain wire gate biners are at least equal in utility. And if Petzl (or BD) ever makes a notchless wire Spirit (or notchless wire Positron) that feels as good as the regular Spirits, some climbing shop is going to be very happy to see me walk in with my MasterCard in hand.

chanceboarder

Feb 28, 2005, 6:17 PM
Post #7 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i really like my wiregates. when i first started i used a friends draws and they had bent gates on them and they were ok but once i discovered wiregates i never looked back. they're easier to clip and lighter. i use hotwires for just about everything. they're on the rope one of both my sport draws and trad draws and i use the for racking my cams.

Partner csgambill

Feb 28, 2005, 6:30 PM
Post #8 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use BD Positrons (solid gate) when I'm sport climbing, and Omega Pacific Dovals (wire gate) on my trad draws. I have to agree I like the "snick" sound of a solid gate biner closing, but as far as keeping you alive they both do the trick equally well.

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 28, 2005, 6:42 PM
Post #9 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, either way (I have DMM wirelocks for the bulk of my trad rack, and some new BD positron keylocks) I just prefer to have the keylock feature to the 'hook nose' type which can catch on stuff a littler easier. Wirelocks are lighter which makes a difference when you've got 40 of 'em on your harness...

Partner mr8615

Feb 28, 2005, 6:52 PM
Post #10 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hotwires rule. All you do is wave the rope near them and they swallow it right up. Clipping couldn't be smoother. Seriously, rope end (trad or sport) equals hotwire.

rockhound71

Feb 28, 2005, 7:02 PM
Post #11 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
fire_eyes said:
Well, either way (I have DMM wirelocks for the bulk of my trad rack, and some new BD positron keylocks) I just prefer to have the keylock feature to the 'hook nose' type which can catch on stuff a littler easier. Wirelocks are lighter which makes a difference when you've got 40 of 'em on your harness...

I love the DMM Wirelocks!!!

kpj240789

Feb 28, 2005, 9:03 PM
Post #12 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought the same for a little while and like the feel of clipping solid gates but wire gates are easier to clip.

jumpingrock

Feb 28, 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #13 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2 things:

1) My big fat fingers don't fit in regular biners while I am clipping a rope. Thus I use wires.

2) That wonderful sound that a regular biner makes when you clip is still made when you miss the clip. Therefore your belayer may decide that you have cliped and it's time to take up some slack...

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 28, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #14 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
2) That wonderful sound that a regular biner makes when you clip is still made when you miss the clip. Therefore your belayer may decide that you have cliped and it's time to take up some slack...
:righton:
Whoa...good point dude! Especially if you are inside and your belayer is right under the first clip and can't see past yer butt, huh?

reach

Feb 28, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #15 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wire gates are smooth like butter

oklahoma_climber

Feb 28, 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #16 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my preference: wiregates on lead, bent gates for racking, old school ovals for anchors and slacklining

In reply to:
That wonderful sound that a regular biner makes when you clip is still made when you miss the clip. Therefore your belayer may decide that you have cliped and it's time to take up some slack...

at which point you grab the next available piece off your rack and aim for his head..... or, you avoid this scenario and develop a hand/verbal signal system with your belayer of choice and this is not a concern.

wa_hoo

Mar 1, 2005, 3:23 AM
Post #17 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So since we're still in the beginner section, why do you many of you use bent gate (notchless) biners for sport and wire gate ones for trad? I love the notchless feel and like how they clean much better. I am planning on buying a set of Spirits this spring (my first set of draws). I'm still thinking that's the best option for single pitch sport for me.

Does the cleaning of gear work that much differently in trad that the wire gates are better for that? Thanks for all the info!

jt512

Mar 1, 2005, 3:52 AM
Post #18 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So since we're still in the beginner section, why do you many of you use bent gate (notchless) biners for sport and wire gate ones for trad? I love the notchless feel and like how they clean much better. I am planning on buying a set of Spirits this spring (my first set of draws). I'm still thinking that's the best option for single pitch sport for me.

Does the cleaning of gear work that much differently in trad that the wire gates are better for that? Thanks for all the info!

For trad, the leader is carrying a lot of gear, so weight becomes an issue, and wiregate biners are lighter than conventional gate biners. Indeed, the new wiregate, notchless Wild Country Helium has got to be the ultimate trad biner, as it is practically weightless, yet very strong. Surprisingly, however, I found that I didn't like them for sport climbing. They are so light that they offer no resistance when you try to clip them, and unless you concentrate, they can flip around in your hand. Besides, weight is not a serious issue for sport climbing anyway, since, for any hard sends, the draws will most likely already be in place. So, I still prefer a beefier draw, like a Petzl Spirit, for sport.

-Jay

Partner fire_eyes

Mar 1, 2005, 4:06 AM
Post #19 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Jay! Nice answer...much better than that brain-bending formula for rating routes :? That one nearly short-circuited my brain :lol:

kalcario

Mar 1, 2005, 4:08 AM
Post #20 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*So since we're still in the beginner section, why do you many of you use bent gate (notchless) biners for sport and wire gate ones for trad?*

I'm the other way around; notchless biners are better for trad because your wired stoppers don't get hung up in the notches, and you're actually climbing when you're cleaning trad routes, so notchless is easier. For sport though, you're hanging on the rope when you're taking the draws off, so who cares if the notches hang up in the hangers. Also for some reason the notches make me feel more secure, unwarranted I'm sure.
I think wire gates make bent gates obsolete, I'd rather have a lighter biner than a bent gate myself

wa_hoo

Mar 1, 2005, 4:11 AM
Post #21 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D ditto - thanks Jay.

jakedatc

Mar 1, 2005, 4:11 AM
Post #22 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi Jay! Nice answer...much better than that brain-bending formula for rating routes :? That one nearly short-circuited my brain :lol:

You mean that isn't right? shit.. i gotta go change my 8a scorecard to a MUCH smaller number... :oops: :oops:

when i find some $ i'm changing my draws to notchless on top and keeping my kick freaking ass OP JC wire gates for the rope side.. these have spoiled me rotten and i mess up clips on just about anything else

kalcario

Mar 1, 2005, 4:15 AM
Post #23 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

* Besides, weight is not a serious issue for sport climbing anyway, since, for any hard sends, the draws will most likely already be in place. So, I still prefer a beefier draw, like a Petzl Spirit, for sport.*

Weight is definitely an issue when leaving the ground with 17 draws, like on Carpe Diem for instance, or 35 meter limestone routes...I'll take my BD Neutrinos for that over Spirits any day

bustloose

Mar 4, 2005, 7:12 PM
Post #24 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so just visually make sure that the rope is clipped,

as opposed to.....?

Partner hosh

Mar 4, 2005, 7:40 PM
Post #25 of 28 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Neutrinos for life. All my small cams and the rope end of all my Alpine draws are fitted with Neutrinos. Yeah, I've used the Spirits. They were my first biners and I liked them. But they've been replaced wtih Positrons and Neutrinos. I'd suggest that you simply use what you like. If you don't like wiregates, then don't use them. If you feel yo should like wiregates, then buy a few. It's no real big deal...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook