Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Climbing stores in Ventura and LA County?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

thrmaln

Mar 4, 2005, 6:34 AM
Post #1 of 9 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Climbing stores in Ventura and LA County?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello All,

I am just about to get into climbing. I currently Cycle (mountain, road) for fitness but my upper body strength is very lacking. I would rather get fit doing an activity rather then at a weight lifting gym. This has led me to give climbing a try. I plan to join a local rock gym to learn in a safe environment and plan to move outside as I progress but need to get some equipment. I can go to REI, but would like to find a climbing specific store in Ventura or LA county. I work in Thousand Oaks CA where the rock gym is located. I live in Castaic CA, so any store somewhere near the places listed above would be great.

The problem with REI is I would imagine it would be nice to be able to hang your weight when deciding on harnesses which REI does not do. I am a fairly big guy (6'4" 230lbs 38" waist) so I would like equipment made for larger people. The harness I am considering is the PETZL Corax and the shoes the La Sportiva Mythos (purple why purple!). Are these good choices? NAy others I should considder. I am willing to pay for equipment I can grow into rather then out of.

Best regards,

Marc Webster

sofakingcool

Mar 4, 2005, 6:43 AM
Post #2 of 9 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing stores in Ventura and LA County? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey

Are you going to be climbing at Boulderdash ? I'm usually there about 3 nights a week . Great gym , tall walls and awesome staff ..

I know the REI in Northridge does have a setup so you can hang in your harness , its right there next to the shoes . Rick who works there is really helpful .. The Mythos seem to be a pretty great all around shoe , but they do stretch so make sure to size them down a bit ..

See ya around,
Phill

thrmaln

Mar 4, 2005, 3:29 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Phill,

Yes Boulderdash is the place. My friend and I from work will be taking the up rope class this evening and may join the gym if all goes well. We both commute to Newbury Park and wanted a gym close to work rather then home since we lose motivation once were home.

So is REI the best place in our area? I plan to give Malibu State Creek a try since I have seen climbers there when I mountain bike. Are there any climbs that are for beginners? Are the bolted sport climbs rated like a ski area with some sort of system that would let me know it is an easier route? If so is it clearly marked? What does TRAD mean?

thanks for the info,

Marc

thrmaln

Mar 4, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Phill,

Yes Boulderdash is the place. My friend and I from work will be taking the up rope class this evening and may join the gym if all goes well. We both commute to Newbury Park and wanted a gym close to work rather then home since we lose motivation once were home.

So is REI the best place in our area? I plan to give Malibu State Creek a try since I have seen climbers there when I mountain bike. Are there any climbs that are for beginners? Are the bolted sport climbs rated like a ski area with some sort of system that would let me know it is an easier route? If so is it clearly marked? What does TRAD mean?

thanks for the info,

Marc

erisspirit

Mar 4, 2005, 8:11 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the route database on this site. There are lots of outdoor climbing locations for when you get into the sport more. Your best bet tho would be to meet people at boulderdash and make friends with them. Then maybe they can take you out show you the area and all the important stuff you should know to climbing outside

washufinku

Mar 4, 2005, 9:10 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is an okay climbing shop in downtown Ventura- Reel Cheap Sports, or something like that. I don't remember how much climbing gear they have, but I know they must have some.
--Carleton

troutboy

Mar 4, 2005, 9:24 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The harness I am considering is the PETZL Corax and the shoes the La Sportiva Mythos (purple why purple!). Are these good choices?

The Mythos is a fine shoe and has been around for a long time, very popular...however, the shoe is really not intended for a beginner. The sticky rubber on the shoe is a little thinner than on most and with your likely poor technique (being a beginner), will wear out sooner.

That is not to say you should not buy this shoe. If it fits your foot, feels comfortable, and is priced right go for it (my experience is the Mythos is one of the more expensive shoes and is rarely on sale). Just be aware you will be replacing or resoling it a bit sooner than you might imagine. Factor that into the cost scenario.

TS

rafael

Mar 4, 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Mark, welcome to climbing.

I live in Big Bear and have the same problem find climbing shops nearby... You should try yhis link :http://rockclimb.org/shops.html

I climbed couple times on Malibu Creek and its awesome. There is a wall in there (Planet of Apes) wich has several routes that go from 5.6 (easy) to 5.12 (not for me).

I've been to Boulderdash two times, the first time I turned around and left in less than 5 minutes. The costumer service was really bad and took me out of the mood. I gave them a second chance and the only guy that was working there was pretty cool.

Hope the link helps you.

dancesonrocks

Mar 4, 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Real Cheap Sports in Ventura lets you hang in your harness. They only have about 5 models of harnesses though. But you should still be able to find one you like. I ended up with a Black Diamond one from there as a replacement for my old Arcteryx. They do have some shoes as well but I didn't get a good look at them.

Within walking distance from Real Cheap Sports is Patagonia. They have a wider range of shoes (including Mythos) and gear but not so many harnesses. As for your choice of shoes, I'm a Mythos gal. I've resoled my unisex Mythos twice now.

In LA county, besides REI there is also Adventure 16 - one location in West Hills and another in WLA. Prices are not cheap though.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook