Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wellhung

Jun 22, 2002, 7:25 PM
Post #26 of 33 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Being a climber and a pianist [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ever tried climbing all day and later that night playing piano at a recital? DONT...
my forearms were so pumped the only thing i could really playe was Chpoin's Prelude in C minor. so much for Rimsky Korsakov...

Rock on

hardcoredana

Jun 22, 2002, 8:51 PM
Post #27 of 33 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mmmmm. Haven't tried that one, but I have been dropped off at an audition on my way back from a climbing trip. It was funny, cause I was "swinging" all the eighth notes in Mozart's Clarinet Concerto. I told the auditioner that it was a jazzy rendition, but I still didn't get the part.

On another note, I've noticed that if I play the piano for a long time before I climb, I can't climb very well. . . I get pumped out in 2 seconds or less.

iburpalot

Oct 9, 2002, 9:34 AM
Post #28 of 33 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i took a pianist friend climbing a day before a gig & he claims he lost 30% speed.

jansuw

Oct 9, 2002, 12:35 PM
Post #29 of 33 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, i play trumpet (before climbing, now 6 years), guitar (after climbing, now 2 years) and i do a lot of other stuff musically, but i noticed that once i started playing guitar, my climbing improved... mainly climbing on small holds. After a while i also noticed that i'd gained speed and accuracy on the trumpet. I can definitely see a relationship between playing instruments and climbing, because climbing strengthes fingers, playing mainly makes them more flexible...

If you're worried about getting stiff fingers just stretch properly. I stretch them before playing anything as well as climbing

spider-woman
Deleted

Oct 9, 2002, 9:56 PM
Post #30 of 33 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've played the piano for about 12 years and I just started climbing. I have noticed my fingers are way uncoordinated after a day of climbing. They get all shaky and crap, but that has just been a temporary side effect. I think over all it's improved my power in playing. I can really pound out Rachmaninoff now. Still the whole climbing thing does worry me. I usually let go of a finger pocket way before my limit, just 'cause I'm scared of hurting my precious, precious fingers.

tradaddict

Oct 15, 2002, 4:15 PM
Post #31 of 33 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, i'm studying performance in cello and my teacher freaks when I show up at lessons with my hands torn to shreds and huge bruises and scabs on my body from falls, but there's no way i'm giving up climbing. The two (cello and climbing)are just going to have to learn to live together. BTW playing for 13 years before starting to climb made my fingers super strong for climbing.

[ This Message was edited by: tradaddict on 2002-10-16 13:27 ]

rocks4jules

Oct 15, 2002, 4:41 PM
Post #32 of 33 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also play the piano and I have been climbing for approx. 6 months. I only notice that I have exceptional strength in my fingers. It doesn't seem to effect my piano playing at all. Keep playing and climbing!!!

JULES

bloodyknuckles

Oct 29, 2002, 1:35 AM
Post #33 of 33 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im a guitarist, and the only prob I run into is soreness from ripped up fingertips. Other than that doing one seems to help the other.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook