RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

punk

Jun 20, 2002, 6:10 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Ushba Hogwauler
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently I got the Petzl Protraxio but I was eye balling the Ushba Hogwauler for a while the two points that keep me interested are
1 the clamp to the rope working on pinch basis and not penetrating like teethes
2 the hauler doesn't need extra biner to be clip to the anchor
3 and the most interesting point is the little rope release doheekee on the bottom that you can operate remotely (is anyone had the need for it ???)
In $150 price tag its steep …but I am still going hmmm…
Any thoughts

johnhenry

Jun 21, 2002, 2:28 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Ushba Hogwauler [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I read a trip report on a solo of Tangerine Trip called "Nerves of Toothpaste" in which the auther deplores this haul device.

He claimed that the cam failed repeatedly dropping him and statically loading the anchor while rappeling the haul line.

Here is what he says in a postscript:

P.S. I want to warn people that the Ushba hauling device is inadequate for hauling static lines and especially inadequate for a solo system that involves rapping a loaded hauling device as mine does. The problem is that the cam that is designed to stop the rope from feeding backwards (the wrong way) is not aggressive enough to automatically grab the rope as in Rock Exotica's Wall Hauler. So you have to manually poke the cam with your finger or the Ushba will act like any pulley without a cam-stop. Stuffing your finger in the hauler every time you pull on the haul-line is tedious to say the least. However this was just the beginning of the problem for me. Before I began rappelling into the void on the Ushba I of course backed it up with an overhand on a bight which I clipped in. However there was still necessarily at least a couple of inches of slack between the hauler and the clip in knot. Whenever I committed all my weight to the rappel, usually when I was about halfway down the pitch, the cam-stop would fail and I would take a six-inch free fall, as described earlier. This didn't seem to damage the rope but it was hell on my nerves. If you haul on a stiff static line (as all static lines are after a few walls), avoid this hauler. Also, if you plan to solo using the same system I did, do yourself a favor and throw the Ushba in a deep hole and bury it. I sent my hauler back to Ushba and all they did was send me a new hauler, same as the first.

And the link:

http://www.adventuresportsjournal.com/climbing/tr20010322g.shtml

I also would be really sketched if my haul device wasnt secured with a locker.

Haul On, John

[ This Message was edited by: johnhenry on 2002-06-20 21:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: johnhenry on 2002-06-20 21:53 ]

daisuke

Jun 21, 2002, 2:44 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well with a name as complicated as that I don't think the device is any simpler!

D

smithclimber

Jun 23, 2002, 1:21 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Petzl Protraxion and can tell you it is GREAT. It is the best hauler I've come across yet. You probably already know this but the Protraxion also can be used for ascending a fixed line (i.e. toprope soloing) and is also good as an anti-return pulley when going across tyrolean traverses.
Check one out, they're sweet.

justsendingits

Jun 23, 2002, 3:00 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you seen the WARNING about the rope coming out of the teeth of the pro-traxion on the Petzl website? Click on vertical recreation,and there it is.Make sure and clip a biner thru the bottom of the pro-trax,the mini does not have a cliping point on the bottom.-----cheers!!

punk

Jun 23, 2002, 12:59 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanx for the input guy’s I probably will go with the CMI “Uplift” for strength and durability

passthepitonspete

Jun 26, 2002, 11:39 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not familiar with the CMI device you mention above.

I now use a Kong Block Roll, and I highly recommend it. It's big and burly and sweet - and soloists can safely rap off of it when they descend the haul line to return to the base of the pitch to clean it. You can also open the front of the thing to insert or remove the rope without having to take it off its carabiner (unlike a Wall Hauler, which is a total piece of crap).

Have a look, eh?

These things are a bit like hens' teeth - hard to find. I believe I paid about a hundred $US, and got it from Inner Mountain Outfitters, a caving supplier. Spike spied it for me.

punk

Jun 27, 2002, 12:01 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is it in the front

back

and more about it is here
CMI Uplift

eclarke98

Nov 19, 2002, 5:41 AM
Post #9 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been looking to get a Kong Block Roll for a while, but I can't find one anywhere. I emailed the guy at Inner Mountain where PTPP got his, but the guy said they didn't have them in stock and after checking his sources he didn't think any retailers in the USA had any. So then I was searching around and I found the CMI Uplift (same one as in previous post) as I was browsing through their site. Like the Kong Block Roll, the CMI is very strong, with a 12000 lb breaking strength, but the damn thing costs $185! I'm not interested in the Petzl Traxions because they just don't seem to be strong enough when hauling huge loads. Has anyone used the CMI or have any thoughts about it? How about somewhere I can get a Kong Block Roll? I'd much rather spend $90 for the Kong than twice that for the CMI.

Here's the link to the CMI Page http://www.cmi-gear.com/catalog/pulleys/uplift.asp

[ This Message was edited by: eclarke98 on 2002-11-18 22:01 ]

spiffdog

Nov 19, 2002, 3:03 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got my block roll at barrabes.

eclarke98

Nov 19, 2002, 5:02 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanks for the tip, I swear that I had looked on that site before, but I guess not.

jbur

Nov 19, 2002, 6:16 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I checked out the link to the CMI uplift, and weight may be its primary disadvantage. The website says 1400 something grams. That's over 3 pounds. Strong, but heavy.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook