Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

racebannon

Mar 10, 2005, 4:51 PM
Post #26 of 29 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Re: Do you remember your falls? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just refer back to my stained underwear.

ben87

Mar 10, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #27 of 29 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only taken one real lead fall. I was most of the way up a the pitch, and my feet were 2-3' above my last piece, which was a #2 or #3 camalot. I don't think I realized I was going to fall... I was having a bit of trouble finding my way, and I was starting to back down a bit to look around, when my foot must have slipped. And then it was all over before I even had a chance to realize it was happening or notice anything at all.

I wonder if experiences vary depending on whether you KNEW you were going to fall or not :?:

leinosaur

Mar 11, 2005, 5:37 AM
Post #28 of 29 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the next thing i remember is jumping out of the car

Yeah, if I hadn't started sliding at 60 I'd probably remember almost nothing - but it took a damn long time to stop. Thank God for smooth highways, leather gloves, hard-soled boots and especially a lack of traffic.

In reply to:
I wonder if experiences vary depending on whether you KNEW you were going to fall or not

maybe - I knew I was going to & peeled. Still got the "snapshots in time" effect. Also it's more of a kinesthetic memory than a visual one. Like the one of the motorcycle catching air (off the dog) - not visual but a strong physical memory.

In reply to:
I just refer back to my stained underwear.

that would be "crapshots in time" - and they say smell is the sense most linked to memory. Better forgotten, if you ask me!

skinner

Mar 11, 2005, 6:19 AM
Post #29 of 29 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ive 'heard' (someone can tell me im crazy wrong if this is the case)... that when you go skydiving for the first time you dont usually remember the fall.

This is true for "some" people. My brother and I did our first jump together. His exit was less then graceful to say the least. After flapping around in the wind while hanging from the wing strut by one arm, he bounced off the wheel and went spinning off into space until his chute opened. Not only does he not recall the jump, but doesn't even remember the plane ride up to jump altitude. Yes he was scared sh*tless from the minute they strapped a chute on him.

On the other I remember my first jump with vividness and clarity as if in slow motion. This holds true for my first fall- 60' whipper. I remember every split second of reeling backwards through space, still clutching the block which had detatched as I attempted to get over a small overhang.
      To this day, recalling either of these brings up that same slow motion frame-by-frame sequence.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
      Password: Remember me:

Go Register
      Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook