Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
March Access
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

hdiddy

Mar 13, 2005, 1:02 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2749 views)
Shortcut

March Access  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Bouldering: Morgantown_Region: Coopers_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning a trip later this month to the Coopers Rock area and wanted to get the info about access. I know the gate is closed till sometime in april, which left me with a few questions for some of the areas regulars.
1. What's the hike in like?
2. Is there any camping near the crag? we were thinking about doing an overnighter.
3. I haven't found anything about access fees, are there some hidden ones lurking out there?
4. Finally, if i leave my car at the gate overnight will i return to find it missing?

Thanks for the info ya'll.
Hap

sherpaboy

Mar 13, 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2749 views)
Shortcut

Re: March Access [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

H,
The walk is about 2-3 miles depending on what area you hit. If I were hiking in I'd plan on hitting the Good Block area (AKA The Aretes). and other areas of the "outback". There are (2) campgrounds across the highway from the park...I like staying at Chestnut Ridge CG.

There is no day or park fees to speak of, and I think leaving your car during the day is fine...after hours is always risky...

Here are some more details
Camping - MCollum Camping area: showers, tent, trailer camping. 25 sites located inside Cooper's Rock State Forest.
Chestnut Ridge: showers, tent, trailer, and cabins available. Ph. (304-594-1773). Across highway 68
Sand Springs: pay showers, tent, and trailer, available. Ph. (304-594-2415). Across highway 68

Outfitters:
The Pathfinder - Hike, Bike, Climb, Blade, Swim, Paddle (304-296-0076)
Adventures Edge - Outdoor outfitter, Climbing equipment (304-296-9007)
Wilderness Gallery - Climbing school, gear rental, sales (800-897-CLIMB)

Amenities:
Cooper's Rock is near the bustling city of Morgantown, WV. With West Virginia University, being the catalyst. The big 10 school creates a diverse culture and a wide range of activities. Within 15 minuets from the climbing area you will find shops and businesses for any need that arises. Morgantown and Sabraton both have food, drink, equipment, a dollar store, and auto supplies. The dining choices are quite varied and sometimes hard to find. Favorites include Rio Grande in Sabraton (304-292-0162), BW3 (Buffalo Wild Wings) in Morgantown, and West Virginia Brewing Company (Morgantown).
For cheap and greasy, the cornucopia of fast foods along highway 68 or in Sabraton will accommodate. Favorite place for Java is the Blue Moose in Morgantown (304-292-8999), the only coffee shop I have ever been to that can get you can knock back a few pints then sober up with a latte'. The Blue Moose also serves a limited breakfast menu. One other good breakfast locations is Hostetler's Café and bagels (the intersection of 119 and 7). For lodging needs the closest is Pierpont road between Sabraton and Coopers Rock with Super 8, and Holiday inn Express. There are three campgrounds to choose from.

This is info from my bouldering guidebook that is in the works. :wink:

sherpaboy

Mar 13, 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2749 views)
Shortcut

Re: March Access [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

H,
The walk is about 2-3 miles depending on what area you hit. If I were hiking in I'd plan on hitting the Good Block area (AKA The Aretes). and other areas of the "outback". There are (2) campgrounds across the highway from the park...I like staying at Chestnut Ridge CG.

There is no day or park fees to speak of, and I think leaving your car during the day is fine...after hours is always risky...

Here are some more details
Camping - MCollum Camping area: showers, tent, trailer camping. 25 sites located inside Cooper's Rock State Forest.
Chestnut Ridge: showers, tent, trailer, and cabins available. Ph. (304-594-1773). Across highway 68
Sand Springs: pay showers, tent, and trailer, available. Ph. (304-594-2415). Across highway 68

Outfitters:
The Pathfinder - Hike, Bike, Climb, Blade, Swim, Paddle (304-296-0076)
Adventures Edge - Outdoor outfitter, Climbing equipment (304-296-9007)
Wilderness Gallery - Climbing school, gear rental, sales (800-897-CLIMB)

Amenities:
Cooper's Rock is near the bustling city of Morgantown, WV. With West Virginia University, being the catalyst. The big 10 school creates a diverse culture and a wide range of activities. Within 15 minuets from the climbing area you will find shops and businesses for any need that arises. Morgantown and Sabraton both have food, drink, equipment, a dollar store, and auto supplies. The dining choices are quite varied and sometimes hard to find. Favorites include Rio Grande in Sabraton (304-292-0162), BW3 (Buffalo Wild Wings) in Morgantown, and West Virginia Brewing Company (Morgantown).
For cheap and greasy, the cornucopia of fast foods along highway 68 or in Sabraton will accommodate. Favorite place for Java is the Blue Moose in Morgantown (304-292-8999), the only coffee shop I have ever been to that can get you can knock back a few pints then sober up with a latte'. The Blue Moose also serves a limited breakfast menu. One other good breakfast locations is Hostetler's Café and bagels (the intersection of 119 and 7). For lodging needs the closest is Pierpont road between Sabraton and Coopers Rock with Super 8, and Holiday inn Express. There are three campgrounds to choose from.

This is info from my bouldering guidebook that is in the works. :wink:

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook