Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

slavetogravity

Mar 15, 2005, 1:16 AM
Post #1 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

How to betray a friend
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yesterday I was out climbing with some friends. Before I headed out I called up my friend Dion and asked if he was in to joining us. He responded by saying that he had made other plans to go climbing that day. So I told him where I would be, and said that if he still wanted, him and his climbing partners could go join us if they wished. Later that day I’m climbing in an area that’s divided in two sections, with a lower crag and an upper crag above a large river. At one point in the day I hear Dion and look up to see him climbing. I shout “HEY DION” but I get no response and I see that he had just taken a leader fall and was yelling down at his belayer about something, but really couldn’t hear much over the roar of the river.
A short time later Kathryn and I decide to call it a day, but before we leave I decide to go pop up at the upper crag and say hi to Dion. When I arrive I see Dion sitting down in obvious pain and hobbling around. He then tells me that he took a leader fall and had twisted his ankle. The guys he had arrived with where still climbing away seemingly not caring, or oblivious that Dion was injured. While I was up there with Dion his friends decide to go climb at a different crag so they grab all their stuff and move on over, with Dion in toe. It’s at this point that I notice that not only is Dion’s ankle twisted, but the guy can barely walk!! It was painful to watch. At this point I ask Dion. “Dude, do you want to get out of here? Because your more then welcome to come with us. Did you bring your car?” It turned out that Dion did not bring his car and the only reason he had been sitting on his duff for the last hour was because the guys he had come with had the car, and had no intention on leaving.
So with that, Kathryn and I grabbed Dion’s stuff and helped him walk out. Most of the while Dion had to brace him self on my shoulder and in areas where the trail was steeper we literally had to lift and carry him up. With every step he took, he was in pain. After, we get back to Kathryn’s house and we take off his boot to reveal the black and blue swollen mess that was now Dion’s ankle. Dion’s now safe at home with his foot elevated rapped in ice.
So in case you’re wondering, I’m writing this to express my discuss with Dion’s “friends” What a pack of good for nothing bums! At what point does you’re red point of some 5.11 out weigh your friends personal well being?? If it where you, would you have just left your buddy sitting in the dirt, cringing in pain while you turn your back on him so you can tick off another route?

“Wow sorry about your ankle there friend, but it cost me like 5 bucks in gas money to get out here. Now excuse me while I work the crux on this killer 5.9"
CHUMPS!!

strongerthanyesterday

Mar 15, 2005, 1:25 AM
Post #2 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to betray a friend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd NEVER put myself before my partner- if she's going down, I'm going down.

the_antoon

Mar 15, 2005, 1:49 AM
Post #3 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sound like some douche bags

simplesoul

Mar 15, 2005, 2:51 AM
Post #4 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

VERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LAME!!!!!!!!!!!

adamwvt

Mar 15, 2005, 3:00 AM
Post #5 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I broke my leg, my friend Matt carried my bag for me while I hobbled. He didn't even think twice. What a guy. The people the origional poster wrote about are the type of people who make this world such a dark place sometimes. I hate them.

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Mar 15, 2005, 3:05 AM
Post #6 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not so much betrayal as it is being a very good example of how to be an asshole to another human being!

Glad you and your friend Kathryn were there to help Dion out - I am sure he's glad to have you two gals as friends!

blk

livingtheedge

Mar 15, 2005, 3:13 AM
Post #7 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am sure he's glad to have you two gals as friends!

umm kitty... I think slavetogravity is a guy.

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Mar 15, 2005, 3:25 AM
Post #8 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I am sure he's glad to have you two gals as friends!

umm kitty... I think slavetogravity is a guy.

Well crap ! The sentiment is there ! And, I am a lost kitty LOL....

Sorry, Slavetogravity be you a male or female, I am sure Dion is glad he has you as a friend.

andrewbanandrew

Mar 15, 2005, 3:26 AM
Post #9 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stories like these amaze me. While his injury certainly wasn't life-threatening, by not helping, they added a good week or two to his recovery time...

Mar 15, 2005, 4:30 AM
Post #10 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That breaks every rule in my book about being a 'partner'.

dingus

Mar 15, 2005, 4:52 AM
Post #11 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think those guys were his friends. Every time I've ever been hurt climbing, and that has occured more times than I care to admit, my friends dropped whatever they were doing to help me. And vice versa.

That's what friends do.

When it doesn't happen? They aren't friends. Hope your friend heals well. You don't need to lecture him about those acquaintences of his, your actions speak far louder than their words.

DMT

comet

Mar 15, 2005, 5:12 AM
Post #12 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if she's going down, I'm going down.

a personal policy of mine and only fair. :twisted:

climbtothebeet

Mar 15, 2005, 5:57 AM
Post #13 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, im glad i have better freinds than that. if my partner when down, i wold cary him to the jeep, and leave. id probably leave the climbing gear also, depending on how bad he was hurt. if it was a sprained ankle, id go back for it. but, when in life is a moment pleasur of our own worth agonizing pain of a friend? id rather my freinds be hapy, and me sad, than me happy and them sad. because, if there sad, whos guan cheer me up?

kman

Mar 15, 2005, 6:03 AM
Post #14 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did your buddy get his foot x-rayed??

What a bunch of asses. They will get what they deserve. You reap what you sew.

iceaxe976

Mar 15, 2005, 7:20 AM
Post #15 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're friend Dion is lucky man: First of all, he was lucky enough to have you at the same crag with him and you decided to check with him before you checked out. Second, it could've been much worse: lucky for him he only went to the crag for the day with these worthless animals. I dread thinking about how they would've behaved if they were on a longer trip or even on a mountaineering trip.

overlord

Mar 15, 2005, 1:35 PM
Post #16 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im really sorry to hear that.

In reply to:
I'd NEVER put myself before my partner- if she's going down, I'm going down.

ditto that. you climb or odnt climb as a pair. if ones hurt and cant continue both should retreat. if theres a group at least one other member of the group should provide transport back to civilization. in cases wher medevac isnt necessary offcourse.

photon

Mar 15, 2005, 2:37 PM
Post #17 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dion is a pussy and doesn't know how to take leaders falls-- a long walk home on that twisted ankle might help him remember that stupidity should be painful

olderic

Mar 15, 2005, 2:41 PM
Post #18 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know - I might rather wait it out then go off with someone who "toes" his friends, "raps" things in ice or gets "discuss" with people....

Seriously the way you presented it the responses were a forgone conclusion, it would be nice to hear the other side.

Partner j_ung

Mar 15, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #19 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, the way it was presented... forgone conclusion; those guys are assholes.

BUT, the other week I hurt my foot falling from a bouldery start to a route before I could place gear. I couldn't climb anymore and my foot hurt bad enough to make me limp, but I didn't think it was broken and I didn't want to end my partners' day. I sat and enjoyed a little afternoon siesta while they continued climbing.

Are you sure Dion didn't do something similar?

markc

Mar 15, 2005, 3:21 PM
Post #20 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I agree, the way it was presented... forgone conclusion; those guys are assholes.

BUT, the other week I hurt my foot falling from a bouldery start to a route before I could place gear. I couldn't climb anymore and my foot hurt bad enough to make me limp, but I didn't think it was broken and I didn't want to end my partners' day. I sat and enjoyed a little afternoon siesta while they continued climbing.

Are you sure Dion didn't do something similar?

I've sprained my ankle at the crag and decided to hang out, as well. I hobbled around, gave the occasional belay, and took a nap. It was definitely my choice to stay, as my friends would have gladly packed up and gone home. If people I was climbing with didn't offer to drop everything and head out after an injury, it would most likely be my last time climbing with them.

t-dog
Deleted

Mar 15, 2005, 3:40 PM
Post #21 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see it as a question of good/bad friends, more of a question of good/bad people. If I'm at a crag and someone gets injured, I'll probably offer help getting out and whatnot regardless of whether I know them or not. It just seems like a normal thing to do. But I guess not for everyone...

Partner angry

Mar 15, 2005, 3:46 PM
Post #22 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine hurt his ankle (much worse than we initially thought too) in yosemite this summer. It was very early in the day. We bailed, once we were on the ground we talked. It was decided that he wouldn't be too pissed if I high-tailed it down the approach, caught the bus, and found someone to climb with the rest of the day.

Meanwhile he slowly hobbled down, drove to the store, picked up some beer and was drinking it off by 10.

I guess it looks like I abondonned him.

It all depends on context.

the_antoon

Mar 15, 2005, 3:53 PM
Post #23 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also keep in mind, currently it is advisable to walk on a sprained ankle. As long as nothing is broken, trying to use it as normal and not treat it as though it were broken should speed up the healing process.

the_antoon

Mar 15, 2005, 3:56 PM
Post #24 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...maybe they were doing him a favor... :twisted:

kman

Mar 15, 2005, 4:34 PM
Post #25 of 32 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also keep in mind, currently it is advisable to walk on a sprained ankle. As long as nothing is broken, trying to use it as normal and not treat it as though it were broken should speed up the healing process.

Depends how bad it is.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook