RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mdv638

Mar 16, 2005, 5:38 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2347 views)
Shortcut

adjustable daisys toO short
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I went out to practice aiding this weekend to make sure my moving systems were ready for an up coming trip. I decided for starters that my first practice pitch should be on an easy bolted sport rout so I could focus on moving, and not worry about gear placements. I chose a nice overbolted rout and started up. Mid way up the rout I came across an opportunity to really stretch out and do some top stepping. I was using adjustable daisys so I extended all the way out, got in my top steps, and tried to clip the bolt. As it turned out my daisys were to short. I had to clip an extra karabiner to the bolt in order to clip the bolt. has anybody ever felt that their daisys were to short?

dsafanda

Mar 16, 2005, 6:03 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Re: adjustable daisys to short [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 6'2" with +3" ape index and I have had no problem with my Yates adjustable daisys.

That said, I do remember owning a pair of standard BD daisys that were too short.

btw. The aider step you're in doesn't have anything to do with the length of the daisy needed. We're talking about the distance from the girth hitch point at your waist to your hand as you reach up to make a placement. That's the same no matter what step you're in.

moof

Mar 17, 2005, 7:59 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Re: adjustable daisys toO short [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the Fish ones are a good 6-10" longer than the Yates, but my Yates one seems plenty. I'm only 5'10" though.

ncclimber

Mar 17, 2005, 10:38 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Re: adjustable daisys toO short [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 5'10" I do remember twice at one spot on a climb at my local crag that my Metolius adj. were too short. Same deal moving from a fixed piece to bolt. I just clipped an aider directly into the piece and the daisey into the top step to get the length.
Sucked to have to try the reach twice then change for one move but it worked for me. Have used it somewere else but can't remember where.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook