Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

i_climb_2

Feb 22, 2005, 3:08 PM
Post #151 of 182 (10481 views)
Shortcut

Re: So what does everyone do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Marge,

We seem to have a little in common. I am a mom of two teenagers, completing my BA in Psychology. I paln to utilize my degree in counseling through adventure therapy/experiential learning.
You could say I am fairly new to climbing as well, but it has been in my blood since I was just 3 years old. I love the outdoors, and mixed with adventure is the way to live life. At least, that's how I feel.
I look forward to rreading more post and getting to know fellow climbers, young, old, beginners, advanced and all in between.

Michelle

autumngirl

Feb 23, 2005, 6:38 AM
Post #152 of 182 (10481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Full time student majoring in Economics and Peace Studies; off to Uganda and South Africa next year for research on sustainable economic development. To make money I work as an assistant financial analyst, to have fun I spend my summers as a camp counselor. Fun thread - it's nice to know so many of you have balanced amazing and demanding jobs with the unresistable call of the mountains and cliffs. :D

cassie

Mar 17, 2005, 5:18 PM
Post #153 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am still at school studying for my GCSEs but one day I hope to become an architect. My other obsession (apart from climbing of course) is stage lighting, so I do a lot of work in theatres and up ladders! If the architecture degree isn't what I expect it to be I might go into thetre and lighting design.

Oh, and I also lurk here a lot! ;p

elshells

Mar 17, 2005, 6:14 PM
Post #154 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a degree in Fashion Merchandising. I have worked in NYC at Saks 5th Avenue and for Brooks Brothers as an assistant buyer.

Now I live in Austin Texas and I am the men's and women's clothing buyer for a chain of 7 outdoor stores. We sell a lot of Patagonia, North Face, Prana, Sugoi, etc... But we also sell a little of the more fashionable women's clothing and accessories. So I get to go on buying trips : 2 times a year to Salt Lake City for Outdoor Retailer and then to NYC several times a year to the fashion markets. Tomorrow I am going to go over colors with TNF for Fall 2006.

I am super thankful each day to have such a great job!

superflea

Mar 17, 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #155 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I currently fit into the category of perpetual student...although maybe in the next year or so I'll have my PhD in molecular genetics...then maybe I can be a barista in a ski town...(no, no career crisis here :roll: )

i_climb_2

Mar 18, 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #156 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am an adult college student, completing my BA in Psychology. But I also work out of my home as a Nationally Certified Massage Therapist for the past 9 years.
My plans are to work in Adventure Therapy/Experiential Education.
Michelle :D

aklak

Mar 21, 2005, 1:59 PM
Post #157 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I now have a BSN in nursing finally .
. prior to that I lived on Mt Hood and got myself through school doing the ski thing...

before that wilderness guide ... before that ... hairdresser ... ( most people don't believe that but I did it for 10 years and wasn't a girly girl back then either but was successful nontheless...

anyway now I am all grown up and get a real paycvheck!! and always looking for cool climbing partners...amy

danabart

Mar 21, 2005, 3:49 PM
Post #158 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work at a Poison Control Center on the hotline.

gym_wench

Mar 21, 2005, 8:19 PM
Post #159 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm the general manager of a climbing gym. Sounds like fun, I know, and it does have a lot of benefits (like bringing my dog to work and looking at gorgeous men climbing w/ their shirts off :twisted: ). But now, I never climb indoors!

i_climb_2

Mar 21, 2005, 8:26 PM
Post #160 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How long have you been climbing?

gym_wench

Mar 22, 2005, 5:41 PM
Post #161 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two years, but I really haven't been climbing much lately. The weather's too nasty to go outside, and whenever I try to climb inside, I always end up working. So I'm not the bad ass climber I should be after working at a gym. :lol:

mother_climber

Mar 23, 2005, 9:59 PM
Post #162 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a registered nurse currently working in Dialysis and Emergency medicine. I worked 16 years as a perianesthesia nurse and 8 years as a medical surgical nurse.
I started climbing in my 40's so my son had a partner who could drive him to the crags. My 20 some year old daughter is an engineer and just started climbing. I'm ususally the oldest female at the gym and crags. It fun to be around such positive and challenging people.
climber_mom

primategirl

Dec 4, 2005, 2:06 AM
Post #163 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a zoo keeper working with monkeys and apes

frzsnow

Dec 4, 2005, 2:31 AM
Post #164 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm getting my masters in metallurgical engineering. I'd love to get a job at a gear company and test/design equipment. I know there's tons of gear being manufactured, but there's always room for improvement. :D

kantkatchme

Dec 4, 2005, 4:07 AM
Post #165 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am a forever student. (now that i want to be one.) my goal is to be a wildlife vet, who knows if ill get there, if i only make it half way i guess thats good enough. right now im at college doing heilkunst vet stuff.
then next year its off to uni to take wildlife bio and then who knows i keep thinking of more things i want to learn.
(and for the time being i work part time in a bakery, and i think its great, cause now i hate all things sweet and sticky or bread. not the best when someone asks for a recomendation and you say " i dont like/eat bread" but meh)
i used to be a canoe trip guide, but that was before i needed money to live off of. now i just go for fun.
but my goals for a career are not only what i live by. i tele and x-country ski when it snows. (i used to snowboard and alpine, but ya know....tele's addictive.) um....i paddle (canoe), i really wanna learn how to ww kayak...its on my list of things to do....i run, i have a road bike, but its hanging above my desk till the salt trucks go away. i also like to paint, but im really messy and it seems to go everywhere so ive sorta been banned from having my easle in the dinning room. oh yea. ..haha...horses. they are a big my life, seeing as i have grown up on a stud farm.(one parental unit has a stud farm)

dancesonrocks

Dec 4, 2005, 7:57 AM
Post #166 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm I thought I posted on this thread too?

Well, I'm currently an internet entrepreneur / graphic designer. I run about 6 apparel / gift ecommerce sites all based on my eclectic interests and I also help run a video game site which keeps me connected in that industry. My site, http://www.rockgrrl.com has one of the shops I mentioned but it's hardly my best selling one. It's mainly just a personal site. My other stores can mainly be found from here. And my newest shop is a poker shop.

I used to work in the movie industry in marketing and promotions but switched careers when I realized I loved the small graphic design aspect of my job more than the dealing with the corporate clients and the studio execs etc.

I'm doubly glad I made the switch now because as long as I have net access (which I can get anywhere my cell phone can get a signal) then I can go climbing and still take care of business so it gives me very flexible hours.

Lastly, I also have my own podcast where I basically read literature and make free audiobooks. It's not for profit but just to share my love of literature http://publicdomainpodcast.blogspot.com.

nola_angie

Dec 4, 2005, 8:24 PM
Post #167 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in school. I hope to go to U of New Mexico, Albuquerque to finish nursing school The hurricane kinda screwed my original plans up (to go to school in NOLA)

As for what I do for money, well, I usually waitress, but right now unload trucks for Williams Sonoma. The pay 'aint great, but it works for now. I have in the past been a stained glass designer/manufacturer, a dinosaur geek at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago and a restaurant manager. I also lived in a semi for a while when I was younger.

I just want school to be over.

chenchilla

Dec 4, 2005, 9:26 PM
Post #168 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a pediatrics resident at Children's Hospital of Orange County! Professional babysitter! :)

trinity_

Dec 4, 2005, 9:58 PM
Post #169 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a Chemist, finishing up my undergrad degree and plan on getting my masters.

girlyoutalkto

Dec 4, 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #170 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a full time student at Boston University, and I'm majoring in print journalism. There's such a huge range of occupations here! :)

alexis_86

Dec 5, 2005, 6:47 PM
Post #171 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a 2nd year student majoring in English literature, hindsight being 20/20, I should have gone into civil engineering but my math sucked too badly. I have a part-time job as a relief teacher. It's freelance-ish and it pays well. More cash=more gear for climbing and bike. I would love to do humanitarian work especially with women and children and maybe something to do with education. Otherwise, I'd just do a jack of all trades thing and travel around the world doing different jobs. In my free time, I plot for the day when I can finally haul ass from this soul sucking place and travel to Nepal, Canada, Europe and Krabi in Thailand.

ledavis23

Dec 5, 2005, 6:56 PM
Post #172 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, here goes.
I'm educated to be full-time clergy (minister, pastor, priest, whatever), but I'm only doing that on a volunteer basis right now. At the moment I have an office job in order to get rid of those education loans and support me until I find a job in my field.

Partner missedyno

Dec 5, 2005, 7:01 PM
Post #173 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this was me a year and a half ago:

In reply to:
oh well - i'm a "techie". I work at one of largest/larger law firms in canada. i have an office on the top floor of what i've heard described as the tallest building in the british commonwealth. i have 8 computers in there with me - i'm a Quality Assurance Analyst. what does that mean? i test software.

this is me now:

i have been working fulltime for 6 years
i just quit my job and my last day is tomorrow

i am leaving for a climbing roadtrip in a week, i don't know how long i'll be away but when i get back i'm moving to the west coast.

lhwang

Dec 13, 2005, 3:28 AM
Post #174 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just want school to be over.

I hear ya, nola_angie! After 20 years of school, I still have at least 2 more years to go. I took one year off to work and do research in Cambodia (hey, come to think about it, even that was for school...) but aside from that it has been a pretty long haul.

I'm currently in my final year of medical school and am smack in the stressful middle of residency applications. If all goes well, I'll be a resident family medicine physician in a few months.

girlrocker

Dec 13, 2005, 7:12 AM
Post #175 of 182 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a Registered Nurse... I love my job (especially that I have a flexible schedule, get to climb a lot, snowboard, and go on road trips) :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook