RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

bobtheboulderer

Jun 26, 2002, 2:19 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2550 views)
Shortcut

Picture Quota?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are you only allowed to have a certain amount of pitures on the website? One of my favorite photographers on this site had some great pictures and they seem to have disappeared after he reached 40 pictures on the site.

JMLANGFORD had some excellent shots he took, but all I can find now are the classic pictures his Dad took as a ranger, and the compilation of John Gill photos. Are the pictures automatically deleted after time or are you only allowed to have a certain amount, or does it have to do with ratings?

Just interested, I think that some of the pictures should be on permanent display, and only the really bad ones should be deleted or archived.

cyberclimber

Jun 26, 2002, 7:01 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2550 views)
Shortcut

Picture Quota? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a quote from Jody's post about photos getting torpedoed,
"However, I am tired of people with personal vendettas voting down ALL of my pictures.

Not all of my pictures are good, but when I noticed that all of them were voted down by multiple "ones" and NONE of them ranked as high as 8.00, I decided that this voting business really sucks.

I have removed all of my pictures from voting contention so the people that think they are being funny will now have to have the gonads to leave comments or PM me." jmlangford

Being a newbie myself, I feel like I am missing out on seeing some great shots. Maybe if we all beg and plead and if the torpedoers will stop their nonsencical 0 and 1 voting, then Jody can be convinced to repost some of them. How about it, Jody? I've already benefited alot from your experience and lore, I would love the chance to see some of your photography. Don't deprive us all just cause a few out there don't appreciate you.

Edited to add...
P.S.- Bob, I don't know the answer to your original question. Photos take a great deal of memory, and I'm sure that RC can't keep everything indefinately, but I'm not sure about the actual policy. Sorry I'm not more help. JC

[ This Message was edited by: cyberclimber on 2002-06-26 12:30 ]

passthepitonspete

Jun 26, 2002, 7:24 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am incensed of late!

I returned from Yosemite to find my photo captions all truncated!

I worked for hours on my teaching photos' captions, like for the solo tag rack, and now all of this work has been deleted!

Worst of all, nobody has provided me with an explanation!

If this has been done to "save space," then why the hell didn't anyone ask me first so I could have saved all that work?!

Also, if you are truncating photo captions to save space, why not put a limit on the comments, which seem to be unlimited?!

I am one pissed-off mofo.

And when you're working for free, that is not a good way to be.

In a job like this, a person can have his bags packed and moved with the click of a mouse.

crackaddict

Jun 26, 2002, 7:35 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have talked to Jody about this.

He is not to pleased with some response he has gotten on here. Seems that there are some lamos on here that have nothing better to do than down rate and play favorites. Another reason the whole voting thing is a sham.
He is still posting photos. Check his album there are a bunch of shots on there. He is just not letting them be voted on anymore.
Jody showed me his photo album when we were climbing in Yosemite. Man you guys are missing out! He has so many amazing shots! Plus a slew of amazing stories. That guy knows alot of history.
Jody is a great person with a good heart. He is truley good people and does'nt deserve the down voting he has gotten. If you have a chance to meet up with him, do it!

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 26, 2002, 11:03 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jody deleted his pics, at least that's what he told me.

Pete... We are going to limit the descriptions on photos to 500, because when you write "books" on yours, it really messes up the Front Page if they are linked to it. I already suggested that it only prints a set amount to the FP, but as Trevor said, if there are any open HTML tags within the cut off, it will mess up the FP. And you like to use these in your "books" to direct users to your many other "books".

I'm sure you must "get it", eh ???

~Adam

[ This Message was edited by: rrradam on 2002-06-26 16:19 ]

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Jun 27, 2002, 9:47 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, three threads here, but I'll address them as best as possible.

First, there is no limit to the number of photos someone can post. But all may not be approved.

Second, people who have petty wars by voting down photos submitted by people they don't like should be banned from voting. This really wouldn't be that hard to search through past votes by someone to make sure they are voting "fairly." Basically, each time you vote, I would go through and compare other people's votes for the same photo, and your votes for other photos. If your new vote is too "out of line" you would be placed on a list. Some people could then be simply removed from being able to vote if they vote out of line too often.

Here's an analogy. If everytime a professor asked a question, the same person always gave a stupid response, the professor would stop asking for their opinion.

However, this would take time, which I have none. The best solution is for people to "get over it" and stop fighting.

Third, I researched the PTPP issue with missing information on photos but I couldn't figure out what happened. There are several photos with descriptions LONGER than Pete's diatribes. I agree with Adam's limit of 500 characters. I never designed the photo limit to be much longer than a few short paragraphs. If you want to write an article or a book, then use the article area instead.

About the deleting, I have no answer. I'm sorry. We don't have a backup from last week so we can't restore it either. I really am sorry though. If we were being paid to store the data, then I would guarantee some sort of data integrity, but since this is all volunteer, I can only hope that we don't lose too much. That is the other draw back of having such an open site. I could stop the ability to edit anything and the site could be static forever??

Trevor

jmlangford

Jun 28, 2002, 1:33 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate the compliments. Trevor, the site is fine! There are just some individuals that seem to have problems with me. People use the voting system to play favorites, i.e. some crappy pictures stay voted high for some reason, and they use the voting system in a very malicious(sp?) way. Also, I received a virus e-mail from someone not a member of this site that had a picture of mine attached to it from this site. There is also one particular individual on this site that has had it in for me for some reason and that individual created bogus I.D.'s to vote my pictures down. These are some of the reasons I deleted all my pics. I just posted a few from a trip to Yosemite so crackaddict and rock_diva could see them. I will probably start re-posting my pics in the future but for now I just wanted to remove the temptation from the jerk that is causing the trouble. I have been told that he can't be banned so I guess he wins. If I re-post them, they will not be eligble for voting.

BTW crackaddict, I appreciate the kudos but I noticed you didn't compliment my climbing abilities(or lack thereof!).

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook