RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

estherator

Mar 21, 2005, 4:27 PM
Post #1 of 10 (999 views)
Shortcut

approach shoes and scree
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am ready for a new pair of approach shoes and would like to any advice on what to look for in a shoe that will handle scree well; also, if any of you have tips on hiking those w/o busting your bum, speak up! My last trip to Castle Valley proved that this big chicken can be far more skerred walking than climbing. :D

Partner gunksgoer

Mar 21, 2005, 5:09 PM
Post #2 of 10 (999 views)
Shortcut

Re: approach shoes and scree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my first pair of approach shoes were madrock fanatics wich i got about a year ago. they sucked. they felt nice when i first got them, and i could do V3 in them, but it all went downhill after the first few weeks. the heel is really low, and they would give me terrible blisters on my heels when i walked in them. if you can size them so the heel is ok for you, they could work, but i wont be buying another pair untill the heel is reworked, its just too low.

I very recently picked up some guide tennies, and i looove them. i climbed with em in josh for a week, and they were great. great hikers, very good climbers, and the rubber is as good as it gets. at 80 bucks they arnt to bad, but they definatly reinforce 5.10s "moto": great shoes that dont last. after a week theyve shown a bit of wear, and i expect them to die in the next year or so, but with a resole they might live on. Id definatly reccomend them.

Ive also heard great things about the montrail D7. they are supposed to hike and climb well, but just have vibram. some guys are getting them and resoling them with stealth dot rubber, and like them alot.

id go with the tennies.

thegreytradster

Mar 21, 2005, 5:14 PM
Post #3 of 10 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The short lightweight gaters used by trail runners do a great job of keeping the crap out, are inexpensive and well worth finding. Shoe choice is personal and variable but one stiff enough in the forefoot to keep the sharp stuff from brusing the ball of the foot is important. Replace the insoles with "Supperfeet" (about $20), custom orthotics if you have foot problems. The drugstore brands are a waste of money.

Descending scree has more in common with skiing than walking. Hard on the knees though. Poles help with the stress on the knees.

sspssp

Mar 21, 2005, 5:17 PM
Post #4 of 10 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A treking pole makes the scree much more manageable. There are some pretty light weight collapsable ones on the market, if you don't mind spending the cash.

angelaa

Mar 21, 2005, 5:21 PM
Post #5 of 10 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to 2nd the comment on Trekking poles - especially at Castle Valley - wouldn't want to hike that scree 'trail' without 'em!

I don't think any shoe would make you feel confident on that crap! :?

adamd

Mar 21, 2005, 5:25 PM
Post #6 of 10 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I 2nd the 5.10 Guide Tennies. The ones I have are 1 generation before the newest ones but are very similar...looks like just more leather on the new ones. They are comfy enough for me to wear all day and climb pretty well. They edge better than any other approach shoes I've worn and I've felt comfortable leading 5.8 cracks and alpine rock routes in them. They definately help you feel more nimble on 4th class approaches and descents. On scree...they're about the same as running shoes. For mountain routes with scree and talus descents I still bring them, but also sometimes opt for the Guide Almighty's (what am I doing with this many pairs of shoes?!) that have marginally more support.

thomaskeefer

Mar 21, 2005, 5:32 PM
Post #7 of 10 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will only add to your confusion... but
I switched from the guide tennies to the Montrails and like the montrails far better. There is not doubt though that the sticker rubber is more re-assuring when scrambling over fourth class terrain for long periods. The support and comfort of the Montrail is way superior if you have a narrower foot.. the guide tennies fit into a backpack better though..

Someone above mentioned resoling the d7 Montrails with stealth... where can you get that done?

estherator

Mar 22, 2005, 5:13 PM
Post #8 of 10 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, guys. The trekking poles are great beta, and I will look for shoes with good support.

atarinaper

Mar 22, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #9 of 10 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i second the montrail d7's they are extremely nice according to everyone i know that has them. I will be picking some up within the next few weeks.

tenesmus

Mar 22, 2005, 5:56 PM
Post #10 of 10 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

D7's are the best! However, what I really want are a pair of Montrail CTC's!! I saw them at the OR show, and they're like the D7's with a more comfortable sole. If they edge and smear anything like D7's I'll probably never need another approach shoe.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook