RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

the111

Mar 24, 2005, 2:31 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1111 views)
Shortcut

Gear store in Orlando, FL? - and other newbie questions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all. I'm brand new to this sport and these boards. I've tried to use the search feature to see if these questions are already answered, but had no luck.

Background - I've done indoor climbing a few times at Aiguille in Longwood, FL. I've rented gear and am looking to buy. I will probably continue mostly at this indoor gym but may eventually move on to outdoor stuff someday.

1) Is there anywhere (besides Aiguille) in the area that sells gear? Aiguille has a pretty small selection of shoes and my friend says he doesn't like any of them... I obviously don't know what's what yet but would like a large selection to choose from.

2) Any recommendations on a cheap shoe for my intended use?

3) How tight should the shoe fit? I wear 12 sneakers, but they are loose. I've been renting 10's (velcro) from the gym, but they are VERY tight and crush my toes up against the front. It is obviously impossible to have a shoe's front end perfectly meet up with the front of your toes, so is it better to have your toes a little bit smashed, or to have a little gap in front of them?

Thanks! :D

reno

Mar 24, 2005, 2:44 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1111 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gear store in Orlando, FL? - and other newbie questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi all. I'm brand new to this sport and these boards. I've tried to use the search feature to see if these questions are already answered, but had no luck.

Welcome to the boards and the sport.

In reply to:
1) Is there anywhere (besides Aiguille) in the area that sells gear? Aiguille has a pretty small selection of shoes and my friend says he doesn't like any of them... I obviously don't know what's what yet but would like a large selection to choose from.

THIS LINK will show you all the recorded climbing spots in FLA. I'm not familiar with the geography of Florida, so I don't know how far these places are from you... It's a starting place, though.

Secondly, you can often find "Dealer Locations" via the various climbing gear websites. For example, http://www.madrockclimbing.com/html/southeast.html lists stores that sell Mad Rock shoes in the Southeast US (sadly, there are none in Florida listed, but you get the point.)

In reply to:
2) Any recommendations on a cheap shoe for my intended use?

I started in FiveTen Spires, and still wear them from time to time. There are a million threads about shoes, so go look around in the forums. PLEASE! Don't start a new thread about shoes.

In reply to:
3) How tight should the shoe fit? I wear 12 sneakers, but they are loose. I've been renting 10's (velcro) from the gym, but they are VERY tight and crush my toes up against the front. It is obviously impossible to have a shoe's front end perfectly meet up with the front of your toes, so is it better to have your toes a little bit smashed, or to have a little gap in front of them?

Since you're new to the sport, my advice is to get shoes that are comfortable... snug, but not so tight it hurts to wear them. As you progress in skill, you may find that a tighter shoe serves your needs, but as a new climber, it would be best to have shoes that don't hurt... that way you can climb more often and longer without pain.

Good luck,

galt

Mar 24, 2005, 4:24 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1111 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gear store in Orlando, FL? - and other newbie questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Travel Country Outdoors is an amazing gear shop in Orlando. I know, you wouldn't think Orlando would have a great gear shop, but the place carries more then most REI's or Hudson Trails & they have a great lightweight/ultralite selection. One problem... their climbing shoe selection sucks.
True, I'm a wee-bit biased because I worked there, but honestly the selection is good, the prices are great, and the people (well most of the people) know what they're talking about.
Anyway you cut it Travel Country is worth the look & yes, they have a website.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook