RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

bler

Mar 29, 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1062 views)
Shortcut

overuse injuries
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, I've been climbing about a year now.. I definatley climb as much as I can, but the past few months, I've felt my knuckle on my right hand a little stiff and sore after climbing a bunch.. Latley I've been finding myself going easy on crimps for fear of seriously injuring the finger..

but today I got tired of putting this off and decided I should read up a bit on it and see a Dr. to be safe.

So after reading an article on Orthopedics and Sport Climbing
http://www.wemjournal.org/...2&issue=02&page=0100

I think I have an overuse injurie(s) in my knuckle(s), probably cartilage, strain on the joint, something.. I climbed hard and a lot (bouldering comp, then bishop for a week) the past few weeks witch has probably not been the best of things for it and has made me realize that it is something that I need to pay attention to, but I _DO_ have a few weeks here to rest..

ibu, rest, ice, stretching.. anything else you guys can recomend for overuse..

yah, like any injury, the worst part about it is laying low, climbing LESS and staying in shpe in the meantime :(

maybe I'll take up slacklining :)

dyno4life

Mar 30, 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1062 views)
Shortcut

Re: overuse injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

definetly lay off of using that finger for awhile. I had a similar thing with my elbow, but just ignored it. Now I have to take a month or two off, where before I would have only had to take a week or two. But at least it's just your finger. I would just keep climbing but tape that finger up real good and never use it. That way it builds up your other fingers, and you dont get out of shape or anything. But be sure not to use the finger for anything even the littlest amount of stress wont be good for it. Put vaseline on it or something when you climb so your not tempted to use it.

gochubug

Mar 31, 2005, 4:10 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1062 views)
Shortcut

Re: overuse injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, that totally sucks :evil:

I have an overuse injury in my shoulder, and even after a cortisone shot it's still there. Not bad enough to sideline me, but bad enough that whenever I crank on that side I hurt it again and have to back off!

This has been going on for nearly 4 months and I'm wondering when or if it's ever going to be normal again. I tried laying off for a couple weeks, and it did no good at all. :(

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook