Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
Whiteside Mtn. NC, Beta on the 'easy' way?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

winstont

Mar 30, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1236 views)
Shortcut

Whiteside Mtn. NC, Beta on the 'easy' way?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for some long multi pitch climbing for an upcoming trip and have stumbled across a couple of routes at Whiteside NC. The only problem is the info I've found on the routes is pretty unsubstantial. My friend and I are solid 5.9/10 climbers and have climbed many times in Linville Gorge. We would love to find some long multipitch climbs with great exposure. I've always wanted to climb at Whiteside, but know it's out of my league. I did however notice a couple of routes that might be an option. Catholic Girls and Clivis Multrum. It would appear that one could combine the two routes and have a long climb without having to climb harder that 5.7. My proposed plan: pitch one of Original Route, followed by the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pitches of Clivis Multrum. At this point we would be at the 4th pitch belay station of Catholic Girls, and would climb to the top taking the 5.5 variation. My questions... what is the climbing like? I would assume that with the easy grade, the pitches would have few if any bolts. Is the climbing protectable? Also, I've read that that first pitch of the Original Route (140' 5.7) has no pro and no bolts. Is a 140' solo necessary to get to the next pitch up? If so, that ends my thought of climbing at Whiteside. Also, after the 4th pitch of Catholic Girls, the guide book gets pretty vague. All it says is that it's a "5.5 romp to the summit." Any better beta available on that? How many more pitches is it? What is the protection like? Well, Thats my idea. I was hoping you pros out there who have beated the monster that is Whiteside would be willing to offer some advice. Good idea, stupid idea? Let me know, all info/advice is appreciated. Thanks

piton

Mar 30, 2005, 9:04 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1236 views)
Shortcut

Re: Whiteside Mtn. NC, Beta on the 'easy' way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i don't think the orginal route and traditions are out of your league. cruxs are protected.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook