RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

blueeyedclimber

Mar 31, 2005, 8:59 PM
Post #1 of 5 (890 views)
Shortcut

Time Off
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just took 2 weeks off to rest my fingers before I start outdoors. I went to the gym last night and fell "all right", pretty much what I expected. I felt tired and weak. This was my first voluntary time off since I have been climbing. For those that take time off, how big a difference does it make. What noticable gains do you notice? Who takes time off every year?

Josh

microbarn

Mar 31, 2005, 9:06 PM
Post #2 of 5 (890 views)
Shortcut

Re: Time Off [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I took some forced time off. It was about 3 months. However, this was not because of an injury. I have just started back and am building up slowly. I noticed that my body is eager to be working on harder stuff, but I am holding back for a little while because it would suck to get an injury before the season even really starts.

I wouldn't even consider 2 weeks a break. Sure, you will be rested and ready to go, but it isn't enough time off that you would lose any physical strength during that time.

Breaks are good.

skateman

Mar 31, 2005, 9:29 PM
Post #3 of 5 (890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Josh,

What prompted you to take the time off? Was it because your fingers were already hurting or was it preventative medicine before going outdoors? If it was for the first reason, I'm not a doctor, but I would say that two weeks just isn't long enough. I think I read somewhere that elite climbers usually take a month off out of the year to recuperate from the ravages of climbing for 11 months.

I recently had a 3 week layoff. I think the benefit was mostly psychological. I was starting to burn out after 2.5 years of climbing 3 days/week.

Dan

blueeyedclimber

Mar 31, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #4 of 5 (890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Josh,

What prompted you to take the time off? Was it because your fingers were already hurting or was it preventative medicine before going outdoors? If it was for the first reason, I'm not a doctor, but I would say that two weeks just isn't long enough. I think I read somewhere that elite climbers usually take a month off out of the year to recuperate from the ravages of climbing for 11 months.

I recently had a 3 week layoff. I think the benefit was mostly psychological. I was starting to burn out after 2.5 years of climbing 3 days/week.

Dan

My fingers weren't injured but they were sore. I probably could have taken more time off, but i just didn't want to. I took it easy last night and my fingers feel pretty good today. I have lost interest in doing all the hard routes in the gym, so i am just going to take it easy until I get outside. This weekend is going to rain and if the long-term forecast is right, so is next weekend :(

It was partly for psychological reasons. This time every year, I get a little antsy and just want to get out of the gym.

BTW, are you calling me an elite climber? I'm flattered.

chronicle

Mar 31, 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #5 of 5 (890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 2 week lapses (I don't consider 2 weeks a "break") all the time. I have never noticed a strength loss. I usually take 4-6 weeks off around Christmas each year. After that break, I notice a small setback, but within a week or two I'm right where I was.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook