RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

slobmonster

Mar 31, 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #1 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

"Babes on Belay" article, Outside magazine
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone out there read this piece? Comments from the gallery? The "babes" are all friends of mine from back east, and it was nice to see them all get some exposure...

here's the LINK

Partner macherry

Apr 1, 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #2 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Re: "Babes on Belay" article, Outside magazine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

read the article, it's too bad that Outside didn't use a pic of the climbers on the cover..............they resorted to a model, a climber, but still no connection to the story.

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 1, 2005, 1:43 AM
Post #3 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed - the "Bait n' Switch" cover shot was in poor taste. Not that the cover model wasn't beautiful, and not that the featured women didn't have an interesting story. It just seemed gross to have a magazine dedictated to outdoor lifestyles pull such a thing.

I thought the story was fairly full of fluffery, too. Very "gossipy" and centered on the boyfriend status of each of the subjects.....We all know that there is plenty of fun and outrageous stuff that goes on with even the most basic road trip. Christ - I could fill and article with the same number of words about my recent 5 day trip and not stray from descriptions of the actual climbing and inherantly related topics.

Why didn't the writer/editor stay focused on....um....climbing?????

geekerella

Apr 1, 2005, 6:06 AM
Post #4 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The story is interesting. But for some reason, I get the feeling that the writer reads too many Harlequin's. Funny, I thought it was a guy that wrote the piece until I searched for the author's name.
Congrats to your friends for making headlines :!:

climberterp

Apr 1, 2005, 3:34 PM
Post #5 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought the article was pretty interesting. In a way I liked that the focus wasn't totally on the specific routes they were climbing, but more on the dynamic of the four of them climbing and traveling together.

I was pretty turned off by the cover shot, though. I thought it was obnoxious, I'd rather see a photo of one of the women actually climbing (I know, revolutionary thought). I almost didn't look inside the magazine just based on the cover but when I read that it was about women from North Conway I had to just see who it was. Kinda cool to see Anne and Janet in there!

kimmyt

Apr 1, 2005, 3:51 PM
Post #6 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was nice to see a story that was a bit different, I agree. However, I would have preferred more focus on their accomplishments and their dynamics while climbing, then info about their boyfriends and what type of underwear they preferred.

I don't honestly think the writer meant to focus so much on their non-climbing lives, I just think that it was written by someone who really didn't understand climbing, and maybe written for people that really didn't understand it as well. Or maybe that was the purpose of it. To show non-climbers who might be interested in the sport (since Outside Magazine covers a hodgepodge of different outdoor sports), especially women climbers, that you don't have to be a totally butch badass girl to get into this. I'm not the writer though, so I can't say.

*shrug* The question is, since the OP knows the women in question, what do THEY think of the article?

K.

slobmonster

Apr 1, 2005, 4:48 PM
Post #7 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do I think?

First and foremost, it's a piece not about climbing, but rather about women who happen to climb. They have goals, some energy, just as much conflict and emotion as anyone else, and they care about each other. That's probably where the rubber meets the road, for me: I'd rather read about the relationships fostered within our activity-based rubric than about the activity itself. I've done enough climbing to understand that I really can't learn from a magazine how to improve, up my onsight ability, prevent fear, angst, or grit, nor fire any funky OW. But maybe, perhaps, I can cull something sensitive and meaningful from reading about how people deal with each other; knowing these girls is just an affirmation of their (now publicly) quality spirit.

trangtu

Apr 1, 2005, 7:36 PM
Post #8 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with several posters--the cover model ploy was in poor taste--my feelings about the article are a little more mixed--I go both ways, I do wish there had been more substance about climbing and less about boyfriends, but I like the overall premise of capturing the energy and spirit of the 4 girls on their road trip.

piton

Apr 1, 2005, 8:06 PM
Post #9 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The title kind of reminds of what went w/ Sue Bechtel article long time ago. Sue's article was printed w/ out a title.

Anyway article was a good read. Much better than that lame article by Alison Cerney "loves Stinks" in Alpinist mag.

Let's hear for the North Conway Ladies!

Partner macherry

Apr 2, 2005, 1:01 AM
Post #10 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been on the all women's road trip (mtn. biking) and i found the article similar to my experiences on the road. i liked the fact that they focused on 4 regular women, not professionals.

I used to be a big fan of Outside magazine, but the last few years i haven't bothered with it.........too much GQ for the outdoor guy. I did pick up the issue because of the above mentioned article. I would have prefered more climbing photos.

caketosser

Apr 3, 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #11 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haven't read the article so i can't comment on that, but i have seen the cover. i'd imagine that it would bother most women that their womenhood is being used in such a way, to line the pockets of men no doubt. it's a commen fact that sex sales, and nothing says sex like a naked women in the outdoors! even though the article was writen by a women, she's just doing her job which is probably dictated to her by a man, or at least by an industry largely dominated by men. i'm not trying to turn on the us and them fight though. it probably wouldn't continue if women didn't feel empowed by their literal power over men by this means. nothing will open a tight fisted man's wallet like a beautifull women. I guess there's balence in the industry catering to men and women being the only sales tool powerfull enough to grab the market. all the same i didn't get the mag or read the article, because i felt manipulated by the cover, which offered no indication of quality content while it was making me want to look inside, not for info, but for more pics to drual over.

blueeyedclimber

Apr 5, 2005, 4:49 PM
Post #12 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you expect anything less from them? Outside is hardly an outdoor magazine. They are corporate through and through. Ads for Hummers, articles supporting drilling in ANWR, "Hot Spots" that can only be afforded by your everyday millionaire, etc.

If you are an outdoor enthusiast and actually care about the environment, then Outside is not for you.

climbingbetty22

Apr 5, 2005, 5:34 PM
Post #13 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At first, from reading everyone's comments, I thought that I would find the article pretty cheesy too. And while some parts of it were. Overall, I really liked. Maybe I've been watching too much Sex in the City lately, but I found myself a little on the jealous side actually. I've often wished that I had a small group of women climbing friends I could spend the day at the crags with and not have to worry about any relationship, do-you-like-me, BS. I had a good friend that I could be like that with, although we didn't call each other hon or anything like, but we could road-trip and stuff like that. We wnet to J-tree together 2 years ago and it was such an awesome trip. Since she's moved to Colorado though, I don't get to see her very often and I really miss climbig with her. :cry:

clausti

Apr 8, 2005, 4:33 PM
Post #14 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

funny... i read that whilst sitting in a barnes and noble a week or so ago and then just yesterday my mom picked it up in the airport because "it had climber girls in it, but i think you're more hardcore." lol, my mom is sweet.

i didnt really dig the word "babe" in the title. as i kind of thought it was going to be about the belay bitch scene, or something; i dunno.

but it encouraged me with my plan for road tripping this summer. i might be going alone on a 6 week trip. which, while obviosly not being the same thing; the more stories i hear the more i think i'll be ok.

gravitysfriend

Apr 13, 2005, 9:18 PM
Post #15 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad to see a discussion about this article -- ever since I read it, there was something bugging me about it that I just couldn't quite put my figner on. There's somethign vaguely condescending about it -- that since it was about "girls" it had to be about relationships and other warm fuzzies.

I also couldn't agree more with an earlier poster about Outside mag -- for a long time, it hasn't been written for real outdoor enthusiasts, but for "weekend warriors" with lots of money to spend on gear, regardless of their ability to actually use it. And if I see one more picture of Laird Hamilton & his abs, I will poke my own eyes out.

meganella

May 3, 2005, 8:14 PM
Post #16 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was inspired by the reporting done on the girls' lifestyles but not by the reporting (or lack thereof) on the climbing. I agree that these phenomenal ladies should have graced the cover of the magazine rather than the naked Jackson Hole climber (it would have been nice to see pictures of her actually climbing too!!!).

girlclimb

May 3, 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #17 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sweet to see girls who went to my college before me and now live in my home town climb so hard and much. These girls are dedicated, strong and most important love what they do! They are very inspirational to watch climb.

oh man now i'm day dreaming whishing i could get some girls to gether and take a road trip to red rocks, australia, yosemitee anywhere with great rocks and good vibes!!!!!

~K

lewisiarediviva

May 5, 2005, 3:53 AM
Post #18 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to admit I looked at the extra photos that went with the cover to see if they were any better- I thought the model seemed rather uncomfortable. There fore I do not like the pictures. My husband argues that they are good but I know his artistic side and as soon as he said "she should have been in this pose with this rock" I knew he was just argueing for the sake of arguement.

But, as a result of the cover photo, I completly ignored the article. I figured if they went hand in hand, as the cover implied, then I would relate not.

But, maybe I'll read it right now (Outside does have it's place, it is better than a lot of magazines, though I believe it may be getting worse.)

lewisiarediviva

May 5, 2005, 4:15 AM
Post #19 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I gave it a quick read over. My opinon is that it pretty much covers the life of a girl who climbs. Really, we are girls. Are we jelous that our relationships make our climbing different from guys who climb? ... I'll admit that I am. Really, though you have to admire it. A male foursome would not get any extra attention. Hmm. no power.

andy_reagan

May 5, 2005, 2:13 PM
Post #20 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out page 108 of this issue for an excellent watercolor map by my father. Props to him!

lewisiarediviva

May 5, 2005, 6:41 PM
Post #21 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice, looks fun to have done.

lehrski

Jun 25, 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #22 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was pretty disappointed in the article. The idea of women roadtripping together and climbing was presented as a novel and recent phenomenom. I have been going on roadtrips with female friends for at least a decade and some of those women have been hanging out at Yosemite, Smith etc. together for several decades. Too much ra ra ra for me.

lewisiarediviva

Jun 29, 2005, 2:44 PM
Post #23 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a few road trips with just the girls. But believe it or not I usually had issues finding a group of girls that wouldn't go with out a guy, safety thing. Especially in High School, and my mother said that I couldn't go if a guy was along. So I was pretty discouraged out of the shoot- 'cause I never heard much about it being normal, though I think it is.

Any article would be written ra ra ra if their isn't anything special to say. You have to make it sound pretty exceptional to get published in most magazines. Really, the article didn't have an exceptional point at all. It was just a nice trip.

thesean

Aug 23, 2005, 3:33 PM
Post #24 of 24 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's hear it, indeed!

I, too, had the good fortune to go to college with and climb with...well, near some of the women featured in the 'babes on belay' article. They're awesome, friendly people, and very, very strong climbers.

The article is interesting, but I don't know if it gave an accurate insight into the girls' personality. At least, it didn't match my impressions of them. Still, I was very excited to see them in Outside, despite the magazine's downhill slide.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook