RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

elmohoof

Jun 28, 2002, 6:18 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1364 views)
Shortcut

US CLIMBING AND LOCAL SUPPORT
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently in a popular climbing mag there was an editorial concerning buying gear on Euro.coms, and how this may "upend" the US local markets. I am just as broke as the next guy, and would love to save my pennies for that next cam purchase, but I am also a staunch patriot. I am torn between my ideals and my pocket book. How do more of you experienced and accomplished climbers feel?
CLIMB ON

verticallaw

Jun 28, 2002, 6:34 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1364 views)
Shortcut

US CLIMBING AND LOCAL SUPPORT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I say bomb the bast**ds!!!!! oops wrong thread I have and will continue to buy local. Not much compares to the feeling of instant gratification for one and I also know when I buy gear at the shop that I am the first owner and it is in impecable condition. I only ordered on line once for biners and when I recived them one had been dinged (probably in shipping) the company would not allow me to return the product and so I paid good bucks for a paperweight. Boy did they get some nasty ( and repetitive emails from me.... kept it going for about a month of pure brerrating email material ) so buy local the price differance is not much usually and you know the gear ya get

Cheers
Mike

punk

Jun 28, 2002, 6:36 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a very strong opinion about this
In the nutshell I say:
free competition is great for all …no cry baby's will last…Im working very hard for my money and I will look for the best bang for my buck…LOWER YOUR PRICES AND EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY
I know that this post probably will raise hell but this is what I believe in

[ This Message was edited by: punk on 2002-06-28 11:37 ]

climber1

Jun 28, 2002, 7:49 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why should American companies be the only ones to capitalize on capitalism? I support free trade.

pir8penguin

Jun 28, 2002, 11:28 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it boils down to american's crying because their own system f**ked them. this is what all they have to do to compete is lower prices half as much as those euro shops, and their in the game because they have a HUGE advantage: shipping costs. example: i was looking at boreal zen's or pyro's, and i saw GREAT prices on barrabes.com, better than local by around $10. then i get ready to purchase, and I find out shipping would have been $24, on top of which it would have taken longer. a local site had them for $10 more, but shipping was $12 cheaper.

see the point? don't let people beat you at your own game, especially when you have the advantage.

a4naught

Jun 30, 2002, 4:42 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pir8penguin points out a good point. Personally, I have yet to find any great deals from Euro companies online when you figured in the addition exorbitant shipping, not to mention the time and (don't forget) return factor (as in, most climbing gear can be dicey to try and return, depending on the vendor). I just haven't seen it. Oh, yeah, I'm sure someone out there can come up with a handful or two; there are always exceptions to everything. But the rule is just that. I shop online and locally and, really, it all depends on the dependability of the online vendor and their policies and how long you wanna wait, versus getting your mitts on a thing beforehand or just fastest. I'm not quite sure why so many seem to think that this Euro vs. American thing is such a big deal. I just don't see it. We have more than enough online and discount vendors right here in the U.S., I think, to fill the budget needs out there.

elmohoof

Jun 30, 2002, 4:48 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All points well said, and thank you for your input. Patriotism lives as well as the US market, but God love laissez faire. I'll give my money to the local.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook