RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

montafoner

Apr 6, 2005, 7:30 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1438 views)
Shortcut

DMM 3CU's and 4CU's on Sale !?!?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Why have the DMM 3CU's and 4CU's been on sale all winter long? Are they selling off the old stock to make room for re-designed ones? Whatever the reason, who can say no to $34-$40 cams.

On that note, those of you who use the 4CU's, do you use the larger ones (3, 3.5, 4) or do you switch over to Forged/Tech Friends or something else?

Thanks for your help,

Montafoner

caughtinside

Apr 6, 2005, 7:37 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Re: DMM 3CU's and 4CU's on Sale !?!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Supposedly DMM has redesigned them and the new versions will be released this spring or so... the new ones are supposed to be even lighter, but don't know for sure. I saw a picture of them, and they didn't look radically different.

As to your other question, I have the 3 and the 4, and use them all the time. The 3 is roughly equivalent to a #2 camalot, and the 4 is roughly equivalent to the old 3.5 camalot. They are quality cams, and I started carrying the 4 everywhere, because even if it doesn't go in on the pitch, I almost always find a spot for it on an anchor.

montafoner

Apr 7, 2005, 5:34 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Caughtinside:

Thanks. So you feel that the #4 4CU is stable? What do you use for larger pro (#5 and #6 Friend)?

Montafoner

caughtinside

Apr 7, 2005, 5:41 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The #4 is plenty stable. Sometimes you have to sling it longer, but I'd do that for any cam in a like position.

As for larger cams, I didn't have any larger than the 4 for a couple years, and got by fine. Most climbs you can do just fine without bigger gear. However, I'm looking to do more wide stuff, so I just got the BD 4, 5, and 6. Haven't used them yet though.

I wouldn't get larger pro just yet unless you specifically have a few climbs you'd like to do. It's more expensive and gets used way less often. Maaaaybe something like the #4 camalot, but I wouldn't get the 5 or 6 friend. Stuff like that, you'll know when you need it.

montafoner

Apr 7, 2005, 5:53 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're right, I don't need big gear yet. I just wanted to know what you would recommend. At the moment I have from #.5 to #2.5 of the DMM's (3CU's of the smaller sizes and 4CU's of the larger ones). I really like them and will probably end up getting 5 more this year (mostly to double up). Damn, am I becoming a gear whore?

caughtinside

Apr 7, 2005, 6:02 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, you're well on your way. I started back with 4 DMM cams. Now my total is 19 or so. I shouldn't have given the small purple DMM to maculated, otherwise, I'd have 20!

To be fair though, she gave me a couple hexes. :P

sustainedclimber

Apr 7, 2005, 6:02 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As an owner of the entire DMM set in 4CU's I will say that I also have not found the larger sizes to be unstable. I don't own anything larger either and in the places I climb have not needed any. For the price, weight, and quality, you can't beat DMM.

bubba

Apr 7, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As an owner of the entire DMM set in 4CU's I will say that I also have not found the larger sizes to be unstable. I don't own anything larger either and in the places I climb have not needed any. For the price, weight, and quality, you can't beat DMM.

Damn straight.

omenbringer

Apr 7, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my DMM's! I have two full sets of 4cu and a full set of 3cu. For the larger stuff above a 4 use the WC 5 and 6. As for the redesign I posted that in the gear section some time ago take a look. The only real differences are that the outer lobes are annodized the inners aren't, and instead of the smoothe lobes they now have holes cut into them shaving a little more weight (unfortunately the weight savings wasn't as substantial as I would have liked). Also I have heard that the slings have been lengthed to 6 inches/ ii inches instead of the old 4/7. Oh ya and they changed the color scheme to match WC's (this pisses me off more than any of the other changes)

tradklime

Apr 11, 2005, 4:11 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think these cams are currently a great buy. I bought a few larger ones (3, 3.5, 4) to augment my wild country, since they are the same sizes. Very light, good action, and well made.

I personally prefer single stems, and don't think much of the doubled runner, but for the price, they can't be beat. And with them being so light, they are great for doubling or tripling, etc. up on sizes.

I think they are a better option than rigid friends.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook