Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Yosemite question.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

azrockclimber

Apr 11, 2005, 8:05 PM
Post #1 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Yosemite question.  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park: Yosemite_Valley: Royal_Arches)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My buddy and i are planning on doing the royal arches route into the south face of north dome. then we wanted to camp up there at the base of northe dome to do crest jewel direct the next day and hike out...Here is the question...is there any water up there that I could purify so I don't have to carry a whole ishload? thanks for the help.

azrockclimber

Apr 12, 2005, 10:56 AM
Post #2 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yosemite question. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anybody?

overlord

Apr 12, 2005, 11:01 AM
Post #3 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try posting in either the regional discusions or the partners forum. :wink:

iltripp

Apr 12, 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #4 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When are you planning on doing it?

There are definitely some streams up there, but I can't remember where the nearest stream is to the top. You might have to hike around a bit.

However, there's a lot of runoff coming down the face of the royal arches. If you're going up there in early summer when things are still wet, I'm sure you can find at least enough water to purify.

I'll let someone who knows more answer now.

azrockclimber

Apr 12, 2005, 12:24 PM
Post #5 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay..thats a start and helpful..thanks. last 10 days in may we'll be out there

mesomorf

Apr 12, 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #6 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

During a normal snow year, the only reliable water comes from the stream falling down the cliff, which you will notice as you climb Royal Arches :wink:

This is also near some flat ground.

And that is only early in the season, which is when you will be there.

This year there is lots of snow up high. Maybe you will find water closer to North Dome, but flat ground also becomes rarer near the dome.

karlbaba

Apr 12, 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #7 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a year-round spring about 50 feet from the end of the final pitch of the arches. No other reliable water significantly closer to North Dome. I drink it straight from the spring, your results might vary

peace

Karl

thomaskeefer

Apr 12, 2005, 2:04 PM
Post #8 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a good spring, as Karl said, shortly after you enter the trees at the end of the last pitch of the arches route. There is a fairly easy to find path up throug the trees to the spring.
Just one other observation... you can make it in a day comfortably by getting up early (pre-dawn) and doing your planned link up in a day. This does two things.. elimintates the sure shot of waiting in line all day on teh arches getting baked by the sun and makes it much more enjoyable since you are only carrying water and some food.
If you are wondering, I would say that if you are strong enough to climb the arches with packs, then you are easily strong enough to do the whole trip in a day without them.

azrockclimber

Apr 26, 2005, 11:39 AM
Post #9 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

great help. Actually we were going to link RA and south face of north dome...sleep up there in our 5 oz hammocks and climb crest jewel direct the next day...that is why water is of the utmost importance...we can['t carry enough for two days..well at least comfortably. I appreciate the feedback and will keep my eyes peeled for the spring at the top

edge

Apr 26, 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #10 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just linked this to Royal Arches in the database so that everyone who considers the Royal Arches climb can benefit from your question. Thank you for it.

The fact that it was under the title of "indoor gyms" previously made me think that you were either talking about Rumney or Rifle. Whatever; it is now fully ensconsed as a legit outdoor route, meaning something on actual stone and not taped plastic.

Anywhoo, Royal Arches is a good route; a great route if 5.6 is your limit. I did it two times, the last of which was a Royal Arches/Crest Jewel link-up that took 6 hours car-to-car.

Prolly slow for most, but we usually don't see to many 20+ pitch link-ups in NH. The North Dome Gully sucks balls (understatement here!!!), but is a neccesary evil.

Carrying two days worth of water on these routes is a non-issue. RA will not tax you to the breaking point based on your abilities; if you can climb it with Crest Jewel as your prize, then you could also probably carry three small children on your back. Just stash your H2O(and kids) at the base of CJ and rap back down to it. If you have never previously done RA, then be aware during the descent of N Dome Gully. For the most part, stay left, don't rap, and if you get caught out by nightfall, so be it. Better to spend a night in the cold and have a great story to tell than to walk off a drop in the dark.

edge

Apr 26, 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #11 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
.we can't carry enough for two days..well at least comfortably.

You EASILY can!!! In fact, if you are even 40% proficient, you will end up atop Royal Arches with waaaaay too much daylight and a ton of camp time on your hands.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

epic_ed

Apr 26, 2005, 1:49 PM
Post #12 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

epic_ed moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epic_ed moved this thread from Indoor Gyms to Regional Discussions.

azrockclimber

Apr 26, 2005, 3:07 PM
Post #13 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get what your saying but I need two days of water not one...that means for me in the sun minimum 300oz+ water at night( i don't really want to carry around 24 lbs of water ya know!)...+ something warm, approach shoes food, gear, ropes, sleeping bag. etc...we are actually linkning RA with the south face of north dome( 24 pitches) camping up there over night and then doing the 15 pithces of crest jewel direct the next day. I am hoping to free solo all but 2 or 3 pitches of royal arches and get the whole thing done in about 2.5 - 3 hrs. Then I figured I would have all the time I needed to just enjoy South face and then camp. Regardless I am going to count on the spring and carry up about 164 oz on my back plus the other shit.

dingus

Apr 26, 2005, 4:03 PM
Post #14 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a lot of work toting bivi gear and what not up RA. Carrying 24 pounds of water too? LOL! No THANKS!

You sound like you know what you're doing and set in your ways too so I won't try to talk you out of it.

But should you decide not to spend 2 days that way, the RA, Crest Jewel linkup is totally doable in a day for someone who can solo most of RA. And you can go WAY LIGHT too. Still water up at the spring, take a ham sammich or something, wind shirt, and man, you could FLY up that thing, then come back down and rap the RA rap route or walk down the gully.

The you could go do Snake Dike the following day.

Cheers!
DMT

edge

Apr 26, 2005, 4:33 PM
Post #15 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I get what your saying but I need two days of water not one...that means for me in the sun minimum 300oz+ water at night( i don't really want to carry around 24 lbs of water ya know!)...+ something warm, approach shoes food, gear, ropes, sleeping bag. etc...we are actually linkning RA with the south face of north dome( 24 pitches) camping up there over night and then doing the 15 pithces of crest jewel direct the next day. I am hoping to free solo all but 2 or 3 pitches of royal arches and get the whole thing done in about 2.5 - 3 hrs. Then I figured I would have all the time I needed to just enjoy South face and then camp. Regardless I am going to count on the spring and carry up about 164 oz on my back plus the other s---.

You certainly have this planned out alot more than I did.

We both left Camp 4 (Sunnyside at the time) with one quart of water/person and did RA and Crest Jewel, descending North Dome gully with water left over, all in a short afternoon. We did NOT supplement along the way; this was in late May or June?

I suspect if we ran out somewhere along the way we would have just dealt with it, but that didn't seem likely, so we just ran with it. If you want more specifics, pm me and I will dig out my old journals.

edge

Apr 26, 2005, 4:38 PM
Post #16 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
minimum 300oz+ water at night( i don't really want to carry around 24 lbs of water ya know!).

I carried less than that for the entire NW Face of Half Dome the first time; 4 days total.

Just so you know. Times were different then, I guess.

azrockclimber

May 5, 2005, 8:05 PM
Post #17 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

really..I guess maybe I am overestimating the length of these things..

I wanted to have a bivy in between days...RA and SF of ND then sleep over up top and climb crest jewel direct the next day and hike down.. I thought it sounded like a fun Idea. First because I really want to do both of the climbs up there on ND and I couldn't do all three in a day.
I mean thats 39 pitches on three stellar climbs in two days..not bad. . I thought it was a good idea...you guys only have me hitting 2 of the three I want to. Anyone have a better suggestion for me getting the three that I want to get done? Thanks.

azrockclimber

May 5, 2005, 8:21 PM
Post #18 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge...first off 3 liters is standard per day of climbing....I am going to be doing this at the start of June( warm/ hot)...+ I will be spending the night + morning then climbing 15 pitches + descent...so to me using close to 300 oz of water by my return to camp 4 sounds like a safe estimate. One reason this may seem high is that I have no idea how much water I am going to be drinking at night and in the morning dude to hiking distance ect...

Your example tells me that you made a bad decision and came out okay. Not that you are a hardass or Knowledgeable at ALL! a 4 day wall climb should be about 384 ounces + or - minimum... it sounds like you carried nearly a gallon too little.

Seriously...stop giving bad advice man...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook