RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

trad_it

Apr 15, 2005, 5:11 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Rock reflecting sky?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all,

This picture was taken in Red Rock's Topless Twins area in early March at around 4PM.

The face has a lot of black veneer which may account for what seems like a bluish reflection of the sky.

What to you think?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=51204

dax

Apr 15, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rock reflecting sky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think you're sitting on the fence.
I've shot a good number of photos in Red Rocks, and that rock can really come alive in pictures. You're lacking much detail and contrast in the rock, mostly because there's no light on it. I don't think the sky reflection gives it enough to really be interesting.
In this case, you could almost go completely abstract by kicking up the contrast and having a photo of essentially an interesting line with white on one side and black on the other. (I wouldn't really push the colors that far, but you get the idea.) If you head this way however, I don't think the composition holds up. I'd try cropping a bit of the right side out to balance out a bit more.
I really like the gradient in the sky, it's what holds the pic together for me. I think it could be exaggerated to add a bit more color, but I know that's asking a lot in such harsh afternoon desert light.
I have a really hard time taking climbing photos that I like without direct light on the rock/climber. This is a good shot at it. Hope that helps!

--Dax

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook