RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

flhoodoo

Apr 19, 2005, 9:16 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Climbers and Park Rangers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just curious to know what people's experiences with park rangers have been. Of course, I have heard stories of harassment and the like, but I have also heard good things. Myself, my experiences have ranged from indifference to benevolence. Just want to hear what y'all had to say.

mother_sheep

Apr 19, 2005, 9:22 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbers and Park Rangers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on where you go I guess. The rangers that I've talked to in Rocky Mountain National Park, good experience. The rent a cops at Red Rocks. . .ASSHOLES! Yeah, I said it. . .they're ticket-happy assholes!!!! I felt like I was singled out there because I was a climber but perhaps I'm just bitter.

charley

Apr 19, 2005, 9:41 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never thought of you as bitter, ms. Always thought you were kinda sweet. Bwahaha. :lol:

icenwy

Apr 19, 2005, 9:54 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just like any profession, there are good ones and bad ones.

Met a couple nice guys from the Grand Teton NP over here in Cody ice climbing this winter. Good guys, they gave us whiskey back at the parking lot, and even offered to cough up some v-thread material(but we forget to grab it). I know an ex-ranger who worked in Josh and RMNP, and he is quality (even though he's an old geezer-haha Jeff!). I've even had a Yellowstone Ranger let me off going 60 in a 35 this last summer. Then, the guy who sets up are icefest here is or was a ranger.

Then, there are some jerks, but they seem to be in the minority. I have found that state park pigs are the worse with the exception of the rent-a-cops (mother sheep, I hear ya there). Anyone ever see "Men at Work?"

theledge

Apr 19, 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had some problems with a few in canyonlands, but for the most part I think they are quality people. At least they sought a job in the outdoors.

mbg

Apr 19, 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed with a law enforcement ranger (the kind that go to police academies and carry guns) quite a bit a few years ago and he was as cool as they come. I never interacted with him while he was "on the clock" but I doubt his persona changed much when working. The only thing he was edgy about was being present during the administering of rastafarian first aid.

cintune

Apr 19, 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on the park; depends on the ranger. It's the young ones you have to be extra careful around, from my experience. Once they learn to distinguish genuine criminals from the badasses that inhabit their own imaginations, they're usually pretty cool. Of course there are always exceptions. But it can be a very stressful job, so they deserve respect. In general. Just don't make any sudden moves.

walrus

Apr 20, 2005, 7:24 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do they call them? I mean the nickname derived from either the ranger in the Yogi-Bear Cartoon or something I read in the Monkey Wrench Gang.

alpinerockfiend

Apr 21, 2005, 4:42 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The only thing he was edgy about was being present during the administering of rastafarian first aid.
Do you mean to say you got lit in the prescence of John Law? That's quite a feat man!
In reply to:
Depends on the park; depends on the ranger.
You said it. The climbing rangers stationed at Jenny Lake in Grand Teton National Park are the cream of the crop. Within the same park, I've narrowly escaped citation for posession of a "dangerous drug" by one of the Park law enforcement officers (it just doesn't feel right to call them rangers...).

cjstudent

Apr 21, 2005, 4:53 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had all good experiences....except with the head guy over law enforcement at J-tree. He's a bad apple. Wouldn't even let us into our campsite even though we had a parking pass (it was new years)...and then wouldnt even let us WALK into the campground to tell our friends that we made it to J-tree so they wouldnt worry about us.

bandycoot

Apr 21, 2005, 5:18 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been pulled over and harassed in Yosemite for no reason. No ticket, no real reason given for pulling me over, nothing. They just harassed me. Nothing serious, but they were jerks.

I've also had a ranger in J-Tree be a complete bitch. We parked somewhere that wasn't labelled as illegal to park. It was in a dirt parking area, we were out of the way and clearly not off the road/parking area. The ranger (standing 15' away) waited until we had completely geared up and were walking from the car (about 5-10 minutes) then came over.

Ranger (In really bitchy rude tone the whole time): You can't park here.

Us (very friendly the whole time): Why not?

Ranger: Can't you read the sign?

Us: What sign?

Ranger: The sign that says you can't park here?

Us (honestly curious): Where?

Ranger: Down the road (she points down the dirt road past a sign that says something along the lines of Ranger's Only Past This Point).

Us: Uh... sorry, we didn't see the sign since we aren't allowed down that road.

Ranger: (Continued to be a bitch until we were done packing up the car and left.)

Us: (Figured there was no such sign.....)

I've also had good experiences with Rangers as well. I talked to Steven (?) a climbing ranger in J-Tree last sunday and he was a really nice guy! I think that there are good ones and there are bad ones. Just file complaints about the bad ones (something I've been lazy to do in the past but WILL do in the future) and hopefully they'll be weeded out or tone their attitude down.

Josh

takanhase

Apr 21, 2005, 6:03 AM
Post #12 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So far all good encounters. I had a ranger stop by my camp in the Uinta mountain range of Utah, to have a few beers while discussing fire safety. And another time where two approached our camp in the wind rivers while
In reply to:
administering of rastafarian first aid.
and still no problems, just a few inquiring looks :wink:

jacobbelsher

Apr 21, 2005, 7:10 AM
Post #13 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rangers are lame. At least the Zion backcountry folks. What kind of person wants to enforce the rules anyway?

josephgdawson

Apr 21, 2005, 7:12 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fuck Park Rangers

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook