Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ucfrockclimber

Apr 25, 2005, 4:39 PM
Post #1 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

College competitions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am currently the Vice President at the University of Central Florida in Orlando. I have been trying to get with other college clubs to start a league. If there are any of you out there that have already started one or would like to please email me at... Beachguy2788@aol.com. Our club has around 30 members and 20 or so have climbed outside. We range from climbing 7's all the way up to 11's and there are a few of us who can lead. No rocks near here to learn trad. Thanks

cadaverchris

Apr 25, 2005, 5:11 PM
Post #2 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Re: College competitions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm guessing you're the president of the climbing club, not the university- correct?

seriously though,

i just graduated from UMD last year. There are a bunch of colleges and universities in the mid atlantic region with walls that host competitions. But so far nothing has been organzied into a collegiate series or tournement in the area.

start making phone calls. and good luck

Partner phaedrus

Apr 25, 2005, 5:52 PM
Post #3 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Competition Climbing.

neurostar

Apr 25, 2005, 5:54 PM
Post #4 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know Ohio State has a comp. It was in Feb, but they're planning on doing it every year. It's a bit far, but it was a nice comp. Very well organized, ~90 people climbing. Drop them a line.

Partner phaedrus

Apr 25, 2005, 5:55 PM
Post #5 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Re: phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out The Climbers' Federation. You'll likely get a good bit of help by contacting them/us.

ucfrockclimber

Apr 25, 2005, 7:03 PM
Post #6 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the information guys. Cadaver is there any way you could give me a list of maybe 4 of the schools up there. I want to email them and see how they set there comps up and how they do scoring. Do they dop every climber from schools compete and take the highest 3 scores of the top 4 climbers or just like there is a team and only they compete? Thanks

carrieruth

Apr 25, 2005, 7:07 PM
Post #7 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a good idea. I'll help out when I can.

rokjok

Apr 27, 2005, 4:54 AM
Post #8 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The University of Miami (Miami, FL) has a climbing club. There is also talk of one at Florida International University. I know there is also one at Florida Atlantic University.

The President of the UM climbing club is Ellen. Her phone # is 305-798-3729.

gogo

Apr 27, 2005, 5:02 AM
Post #9 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We're actually trying to start up a team/club here for next semester (fall 06) at University of Puget Sound in Washington, and I want to get some college comps going up here.

monkeyarm

Apr 27, 2005, 5:06 AM
Post #10 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was VP of Towson University's Rock CLimbing contingent when i went there, they have a bouldering comp every fall and you just missed their spring top rope comp. They are open to all students who have at least 6 credits.

Hopkins had a bouldering comp too

isn't kinda hard to have a Central Florida climbing club when there is no climbing in FLA?

deltstate

Apr 27, 2005, 6:05 AM
Post #11 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its getting pretty big in Tx. USAC held a collegiate competition at Austin Rock Gym in Austin, TX just a few short months ago in February. It was a lot of fun and much more laid back that jcca or usac. If you can make it work, it's a lot of fun

carrieruth

Apr 28, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #12 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
isn't kinda hard to have a Central Florida climbing club when there is no climbing in FLA?

Yeah, it's really hard... we have to drive about 9 hours to climb outdoors. In the meantime, we climb at local gyms, our tower at UCF, and on any random building we can find to climb.

Partner one900johnnyk

Apr 28, 2005, 5:33 PM
Post #13 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there were a bunch of people from ucf at fosters a few weekends probably closer to a month now. was that you guys?

taraus_de_bull

Apr 28, 2005, 5:41 PM
Post #14 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i go to Univ. of Delaware. and we have a comp at the end of ever semester. there are ATON of schools on withcomps. some even abs comps. up in new england, they have a 4 school comp circuit. pm me if you have want to discuss.

carrieruth

Apr 28, 2005, 5:43 PM
Post #15 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
there were a bunch of people from ucf at fosters a few weekends probably closer to a month now. was that you guys?

Yeah that was us. My name is Carrie, I'm the President of the club at UCF, and Kaare started this post, he's the VP. We're trying to get some comps and stuff started here in FL for the clubs. We'll probably be heading up to HP40 to do some bouldering this summer and in the fall, then back to Fosters in the spring. It was awesome!! Were you out there climbing when we were there?

bullsball5

Apr 28, 2005, 6:32 PM
Post #16 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Carrie,

I'm TJ and we are starting a club at USF next semester and I will be the president. I know Kaare and we would love to have some comps with other schools like UM and UF, and FSU. When you guys get everything situated, email me at twalsh3@msn.com and we should be able to hook something up, because all of us have a gym near us where we can hold comps.

Later, TJ

carrieruth

Apr 28, 2005, 6:44 PM
Post #17 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TJ,

That's awesome! I've got a list going of FL schools with clubs.

So far:

UCF
UM
Florida Atlantic University
Florida International University
FSU
USF

Do you know if UF has a club??

I'll probably start sending out an e-mail to everone with addresses that I can find, and we'll start talking details.

Carrie

usac_abs

Apr 28, 2005, 7:53 PM
Post #18 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HI! The ABS and USA Climbing are currently signing up colleges for the collegiate series this coming fall --- both ropes and bouldering. If you would like to be part of it, please*** give us a call. The collegiate series is exclusively for colleges, includes an awesome comp box (backpack, tees, shoes, etc), on-line ranking and a national event to see which school comes out on top! You can reach us at 888.944.4244 or abs@rockcomps.com. We are REALLY REALLY excited about pulling this altogether this year and can offer tons of support for comp organization, team registration, and marketing materials.

All the best and we look forward to hearing from you!
Anne-Worley Bauknight

dorkmaster

Apr 28, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #19 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

talk to jimdavis, he helped organize the UMO comp, and it was really good

bullsball5

Apr 28, 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #20 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought I heard that UF had a club, but they might of discontinued it.

chillenfish

Apr 28, 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #21 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whats up man, yeah there are a group of colleges that run about a 5 college circuit. I go to Bloomsburg University in PA, entered the circuit once. It included us, shippensburg, WVU, and two other colleges that i can't think of right now but they were out in the pittsburg area. Def. look into WVU im sure they host things and have one hell of a sweet wall. Hope this helped.

alvchen

Apr 28, 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #22 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm the president of the climbing club over at SCU in california and we recently had a comp against Stanford. We tried to get other bay area universities involved, but no on really made a commitment.

cadaverchris

Apr 29, 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #23 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ucfrockclimber- i'll PM you a few emails.

looks like there is some serious interest. I know at Univ of MD there was some serious red tape about getting outsiders (non-university people) to be able to climb the wall or attend comps. I gather the there are similar situations at other schools. This will be difficult because schools don't need comps. they don't need comps. so there is little help from up the chain.

are my experiences similar to other college climbers?

Partner one900johnnyk

Apr 29, 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #24 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah that was us. My name is Carrie, I'm the President of the club at UCF, and Kaare started this post, he's the VP. We're trying to get some comps and stuff started here in FL for the clubs. We'll probably be heading up to HP40 to do some bouldering this summer and in the fall, then back to Fosters in the spring. It was awesome!! Were you out there climbing when we were there?

yeah we were there - we set up a top rope on some 11 to the right of fish eyed fool and some ucf guys took a ride on it, it was a pretty choice weekend for climbing - just so you know the foster's film festival is on may 14th and usually draws a pretty big crowd.. i know that's a haul for you guys but if you were thinking about returning that might be a fun weekend to do it. take care, and good luck with the comps...

carrieruth

Apr 29, 2005, 1:00 AM
Post #25 of 34 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

yeah we were there - we set up a top rope on some 11 to the right of fish eyed fool and some ucf guys took a ride on it, it was a pretty choice weekend for climbing - just so you know the foster's film festival is on may 14th and usually draws a pretty big crowd.. i know that's a haul for you guys but if you were thinking about returning that might be a fun weekend to do it. take care, and good luck with the comps...

Thanks for the info... I'm sure we'll be heading up there again sometime, but maybe not til next year. I remember the guys using your rope on the climb, I was to the left of them on a different route. What exactly is the film festival?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook