Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Road and driving info for J Tree
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ddriver

Apr 25, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #1 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Road and driving info for J Tree  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm headed to J Tree this week for the first time, from SLC. What is the recommended driving route from Vegas for someone driving a fast sedan, not a truck? The seemingly most direct route goes through some little towns like Cima, Kelso, and Amboy. If not that route, I-15 and US 95 look about like a wash. Thanks for any help.

elgecko

Apr 25, 2005, 7:20 PM
Post #2 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Re: Road and driving info for J Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Kelso/Amboy route you describe is the most direct route. It is also very desolate however.

ddriver

Apr 25, 2005, 7:24 PM
Post #3 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Kelso/Amboy route you describe is the most direct route. It is also very desolate however.

Isn't everything around there desolate?

Seriously though, is it paved and a fast route? You know, short cuts make for long delays.

slobmonster

Apr 25, 2005, 7:41 PM
Post #4 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, the road through Amboy is indeed paved.

I have seen cops out there so keep an eye out; the desolation makes for speedy driving.

curt

Apr 25, 2005, 8:45 PM
Post #5 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Isn't everything around there desolate?

Seriously though, is it paved and a fast route? You know, short cuts make for long delays.

That is the fastest route, for sure.

Curt

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 25, 2005, 9:29 PM
Post #6 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dirtineye will be so proud of himself.....

We took that route last week and I just kept going "oh, turn there." He said "you should be writing this down" but I was too lazy, and said the roads do have markings to guide you..... But, the truth is, it can be easy enough to miss the turns, and at night, esspecially so.

On the return fron JTree to LV, he was *adamant,* and of course I had to oblige him.....

No doubt he now wishes he had made me record mileage between the various turns and landmarks.......

I will post the detail, road name by road name, for your reference. Please note, these directions are FROM Jtree(well, actually from 29 Palms) TO Las Vegas. Reverse on your way to JTree.

FROM Joshua Tree To Las Vegas

* Note, if you are camping in Hidden Valley campground, and don't need to go through the town of Joshua Tree, you can save about 30 miles by exiting the park through the 29 Plams way instead of the Joshua Tree way. Simply turn left onto Parkway Boulevard(the road that cuts through the park) as you exit the Hidden Valley area, and drive to 29 Palms.

- Highway 62 is the main road through 29 Palms. If you are heading from JTree through 29 Palms, turn left onto Adobe Road.

- Turn right on Amboy Road(landmark along the roadside after you've been on this road a bit: Arestaurant called "Palms Restaurant" will be on your right side. It seems a bit odd to have a supper club in this location....)

- At the "T" intersection, turn right, onto National Trails Highway.

- Turn left on Kelbaker Road.

- Turn right at the *town*(?) of Kelso. (Note: do NOT turn onto "Cima Road" - Go toward Nipton. You might see that sign and think "Hey! We have to go to Cima! That must be the turn....." It isn't.)

- Turn left on Ivanpah, heading to I-15.

- Turn left at Nipton Road, heading to I-15.

- Head North on I-15, to Las Vegas.

Note: The route IS desolate after you get off I-15 and before 29 Plams. There are NO gas stations, convenience storea, telephones or even houses. The only stop is at Kelso, where an old train depot has been majestically restored. But it is not *open.* It does, however, have some disgusiting port-a -johns in the parking lot across the street, and that might be a welcome stop.

The roads are all paved, but there are bigs dips in the road in the Mojave, so if you are driving very fast(over 80mph), or have a crappy suspension, expect to bottom out on them.

tigerbythetail

Apr 25, 2005, 9:35 PM
Post #7 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Special care should be taken when driving Ivanpah Road between the Nipton Rd. turnoff and the town of Cima due to cattle grazing along and in the roadway. Nothing like hitting a cow at 80mph to ruin your car and vacation. Go slow(er) and enjoy the scenery; the minimal traffic and shorter distance will save you enough time.

socalclimber

Apr 25, 2005, 9:42 PM
Post #8 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, the "back" way is the absolutely the best way. It's actually a nice drive! To hell with that I15 crap.

Robert

ddriver

Apr 25, 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #9 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks happygrrrl for the detail.

nedsurf

Apr 25, 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #10 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I LOVE the desolation of that road and the road from 29 palms to I-40. Its like something out of an old road trip movie. Going to I-40 I didn't see any other car.

thegreytradster

Apr 25, 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #11 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegirl's description hits it as far as I remember. There's a map in the Redr Rocks Select book.

Bid the electrical work on the train station restoration a couple of years ago when it first went to bid. It went over budget then and they didn't have enough money to do it. Fineswine must have found some more favors to call in. As I recall the electrical work was around $450K the first time around. They must have poured a couple of million into that place.
A nice fully restored Harvey House Restarant where no one except a few climbers on a short cut and local ranchers will ever go.

Your tax dollars at work :shock:

If you have time, a side trip to Mitchell Caverns is worth the effort. At least that was money well spent.

caughtinside

Apr 26, 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #12 of 12 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about Amboy crater? worth it?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook