RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

areuinclimber

Apr 27, 2005, 4:04 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1798 views)
Shortcut

ascending a rope, how damaging?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey all,

i just got a bit of new gear and am trying out the ascenders and stuff. i was thinking, isnt using an ascender on a rope (your climbing rope) the same as (if not worse than) steping on it while it is on the ground?

the way i am figuring it is that the little cam in the ascender is putting your entire body of force on a very specific part of your rope when you weight the ascender. so now i am wondering just how much damage is done to the ropes core by ascending?
anything that i should avoid while ascending (like resting on one part of the rope for a long period, etc.)

thanks everyone.

Partner euroford

Apr 27, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Re: ascending a rope, how damaging? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

in my experience, ascenders have done no damage to my ropes and its not something i've ever really been worried about.

bluenose

Apr 27, 2005, 4:27 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would expect that stepping on the rope may involve damage more from the ground, sharp stones or such, or grit being ground into the rope. I can't see how squeezing a rope could do any damage strictly from compression. It may weaken the rope at that particular spot while the ascender is holding your weight.

This not from climbing experience. (That a good enough disclaimer? :) )

Jeff.

caughtinside

Apr 27, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't think it does much damage. All the damage my dynamic ropes have taken while ascending the rope, is from the rope rubbing against the rock. Because it's dynamic, it will bounce up and down a little while you jug. If part of your rope is resting against sharp/rough parts in the rock, it will chew up the sheath in a hurry. For lots of jugging, a thick rope is good, and a static rope is better.

But, I don't think stepping on the rope is that big of a deal either.

iamthewallress

Apr 27, 2005, 5:01 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't think it does much damage. All the damage my dynamic ropes have taken while ascending the rope, is from the rope rubbing against the rock.

Unless you are whipping onto your ascender, I think caughtinside is right.

Try to avoid running your rope over edges and protrusions when ascending, and also try to avoid bouncing or rocking the rope from side to side too much as you ascend. When people get the chop jugging, it's usually because their ascenders came off the rope or the rope sliced by rubbing back and forth on something sharp.

I can't imagine that the jugs would hurt a ropes core much although the little teeth will probably fuzz up the sheeth a bit after lots and lots of jugging. Not a big deal though.

saltamonte

Apr 27, 2005, 5:48 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the concern when stepping on your rope is not that you will squeeze the rope but that you will press sand and dirt particles into the fibers that may not come back out, meanwhile they could rub and make supertiny cuts to the fibers of the rope each time it used decreasing the useful life of your rope.

A device like a petzel ascender that has a toothy grip may wear the sheath of the rope ( a little faster) from proper use but if that is case you will visually be able to fraying. however notice that the instructions mention that it is not designed for taking falls. because in the event of a sudden shock load yes your worries would be confirmed and damage could be done to the rope. but don't worry if you are just ascending as the manual describes

areuinclimber

Apr 27, 2005, 6:21 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

excellent. thanks everyone for the informative replies.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook