RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

ikellen

Dec 15, 2003, 8:18 AM
Post #1 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Home Wall Builders - Holds Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For all those home wall owners out there, what brand holds do you use? Also, how did you breakdown what types of holds to get? Im debating whether to just buy a big grab bag type package and make up problems with that, or come up with problems and buy holds to fit my ideas. Are there guides on the internet for setting up problems on a home wall? Thanks for the help.

redpointron

Dec 15, 2003, 12:49 PM
Post #2 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Re: Home Wall Builders - Holds Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey ikellen...

I have holds from several different companies. I moved a year ago and built my second home wall. My current favorites are VooDoo, Nicros, and SoIll. All three have been mucho friendly with me. I also have some from Pusher, Groperz, Crater, Globe (dry-tool holds) and Euroholds.

I would probably not buy a big grab bag just because they are rarely the coolest shapes a company has to offer. What you buy really depends on the shape of your wall and what kind of problems you want to set.

The guys from SoIll are making some amazing stuff. Check out their website or call Dan. I really like the Font style that different companies are making.

Just something to think about. P.M. me if you have any questions. I would be more than happy to send you pictures of my wall.

r.r.

gat

Dec 15, 2003, 9:47 PM
Post #3 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck on the wall...in my opinion, stay away from cheapholds.com for holds - very one dimensional. I use mostly metolious, just becuase that's what the local shop has and since my cheap holds experience I won't buy anything I can't see in person. The best price I found on t-nuts was on cheapholds.com.

As far as route-setting, it just takes practice. The sequences I am coming up with now are far better than when I built my wall (approaching 2 yrs). Of course, that might be due to me not being a boulderer or a indoor climber until I built my wall. Lastly, if it will help you with ideas I can submit a pic or two.

Have fun.

meatball

Dec 15, 2003, 10:01 PM
Post #4 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gat,
Please submit pics of your wall. I know there are many already on the site, but it never hurts to get new ideas. Thanks.

harrisha

Dec 15, 2003, 10:01 PM
Post #5 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

REI has a set of sixty-five holds by Franklin on sale at rei.com not the outlet for $99. It seems to be a good variety similar to the $200 metolious version. includes T-nuts, wrench, and bolts

overlord

Dec 16, 2003, 8:52 AM
Post #6 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

different companies, different holds.

a boxofholds is a good start, but plan on buying more, especially slopers (i love them :wink: )

delaware

Dec 16, 2003, 11:26 AM
Post #7 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would agree on the sloper bit. I love slopers and they let me climb longer than if I pull on crimps all day.

I second the suggestion to stay away from cheapholds.com, i am not a fan of their texture.

A lot depends on how big your wall is... mine is fairly large and I needed to get a few of the random grab bag sets just to fill things out. Pusher and Metolius make up the bulk of my holds and I am pretty happy.

Route setting will get better with time. I would suggest haveing some people over and play add on, often times add-on leads into pretty fun routes.

Thats all I can think of for now. It's late and I am going to bed.

gat

Dec 16, 2003, 2:34 PM
Post #8 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Gat,
Please submit pics of your wall. I know there are many already on the site, but it never hurts to get new ideas. Thanks.

Will do, look for them on Wed - I'll take them tonight and bring them in tomorrow. Of course, this assumes I can figure out how to post them!

nafod

Dec 16, 2003, 2:34 PM
Post #9 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These holds are great. They're made out of a concrete/plastic mixture of some sort. Real nice texture.

http://www.synrockholds.com/

anjinsan

Apr 27, 2005, 5:24 PM
Post #10 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I first bought the starter set from metoulis for the wall in my apartment. Then a climbing buddy suggested soill and voodoo holds. Both companies are fantastic. In my opinion you cant go wrong with either.

www.voodooholds.com
www.soillholds.com

Matt

keinangst

Apr 27, 2005, 6:10 PM
Post #11 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a lot of Metolius on sale and have been very pleased.

To defend Cheapholds, well, they're cheap! If you really wanted your artificial holds to simulate real rock, you should go with synrock or drill stone DIY. I personally don't equate indoor training with outdoor climbing--the indoor compliments the outdoor experience. Now that I think about it, I might start growing poison ivy in my garage and breed some mosquitoes.

Cheapholds have a very rough surface, and I like them on steep overhangs. You won't get any style points, though. Plus, my little niece loves their bright colors and positive grips.

jorian_nl

Apr 27, 2005, 6:23 PM
Post #12 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have bought holds from different not really cheap compagnies (entre-prises, HRT Globetrotter) but the one's I like best Are the ones From Kletterzeug.
This was the first brand of holds I have bought and they are still in top condition. My globetrotters don't have the gripp anymore they used to have and entre-prises are hard to clean.
The holds from kletterzeug are the best quality holds I have climbed on.
That they are cheap does'nt mean they are poor quality.

For really cheap holds you should look at ebay, i bought yesterday 40 holds for just 30 euro's.

racebannon

Apr 27, 2005, 6:27 PM
Post #13 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found that nicros has a lot of dicontinued holds that they blowout for fairly cheap and they have pretty good shapes. atomicholds.com has t-nuts for super cheap $0.08 each.

climblouisiana

Apr 27, 2005, 6:33 PM
Post #14 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.threeballclimbing.com

Good holds. Check 'em out.

tc

Apr 27, 2005, 7:57 PM
Post #15 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like these guys
http://www.xcilver.com/Home.php

tc

offdacouch

Apr 27, 2005, 9:30 PM
Post #16 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nicros hold-of-the-month club is cool.... I think I just called to sign up. For a little more than $40 a month, they send you a box of holds w/bolts and charge a credit card. If the 40 or so bucks isn't that big of a deal, do it. If you don't like, cancel. (this is not a shameless plug, I have no connection with them in anyway except a satisfied customer).

It's just like those fruit/meat/wine/etc.-of-the-month things. We have around 400 holds on our woody and the Nicros are fast becoming my favorite. The friction of their mix is sooo good. They've been sending out a bunch of crimps and cool little pinches lately.

Also, get some climb-it holds especially the patina line and of course, so ill.

nich_popsicle

Apr 28, 2005, 4:11 PM
Post #17 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work at an indoor gym on a college campus, and as such, we get a lot of different holds from different companies. My personal favorites are:

1) Nicros: fantastic variety, good texture.

2) Metolius: been around for a long time, and as such are putting out great products.

3) SoIll: new company, cool holds. Pretty intense texture, however.

4) ETCH: a local company from Maryland, make very neat holds, however, the best ones are very large, so take that into consideration. They also have a very rough texture.

5) Voodoo: good holds, good variety, but I find the texture gets slimy quickly, and overtightening can result in destroying the hold (there is a metal washer impregnated in the holds because the material is softer and more flexible than traditional hold material). That said, they still make good holds, and the price is reasonable for the overall quality.

6) Entre-Prise: We have 2 different Entre-Prise wall setups, and it seems like the Entre-Prises holds are almost the only ones that spin on on a regular basis. Weird, their holds spin on their own walls... Decent holds overall, however, they chip kind of easily if dropped.

lucas_timmer

May 3, 2005, 1:29 PM
Post #18 of 18 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a bunch of Axis and Vertigo holds, they have amazing varities and they're incredibly cheap.
I've bought tem for €5 per kilo, they were a bit dirty but when you clean them with water and soap they look brand new.
I've got mainly Axis holds but also some Vertigo holds, no Metolius ones.I don't like those.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook