RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

dirtyleaf

Apr 27, 2005, 7:01 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Alpine rack for WA Cascades
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just bought my first rack geared more towards alpine climbing. (or so I was told.) I have DMM cams sizes 3/4 to 2 doubled up on 1,1.25,1.5,13/4. I also have Camalots sizes 1-3 and a set of BD stoppers. I know that racks change with the area but could anyone give me advice on what else I would need for Alpine climbing like Liberty Bell Beckey route and Darrington, Index, Leavenworth areas? -Geoff

pzack

Apr 27, 2005, 7:39 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alpine rack for WA Cascades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just bought my first rack geared more towards alpine climbing. (or so I was told.) I have DMM cams sizes 3/4 to 2 doubled up on 1,1.25,1.5,13/4. I also have Camalots sizes 1-3 and a set of BD stoppers. I know that racks change with the area but could anyone give me advice on what else I would need for Alpine climbing like Liberty Bell Beckey route and Darrington, Index, Leavenworth areas? -Geoff

That sounds like a enough for most climbs. If that were my rack, and I were adding to it, I would add:

Pink Tricam
#10 BD Hex
Red Tricam
4" Camelot

in that order.

Also, make sure you have plenty of doubles... alot of the alpine routes up here zig-zag.

shapp

Apr 27, 2005, 7:45 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alpine rack for WA Cascades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For Darrington, first you are going to need a Mt. Bike to reach the crags in a timely manner

also you will want to send letters to the district ranger and congressmen to help out getting the road back open.

http://www.washingtonclimbers.org/Current/Darrroad.htm

Secondly, you will want to pick up some micro cams like TCUs, aliens, or Zeros for Darrington climbs in the 3 or 4 smalles sizes.

Thirdly you will want Dave Whitelaw's CD guide

The most comprehensive Darrington Guide yet produced is available in an E-Book produced by David Whitelaw and Dave Burdick, in November, 2003. The “book” provides detailed descriptions of the routes along with excellent topo drawings. In addition, it contains descriptive information and even topos for some of the approaches, and many great photographs. E-mail to: dwhite5522@aol.com.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook