RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

semajim

Apr 29, 2005, 6:27 PM
Post #1 of 4 (994 views)
Shortcut

Climbing with Blisters?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm new to climbing and my hands are starting to show it. After bouldering at the gym for an hour or two, my fingers have a few small blisters. Then when I go back a few days later, the sweat on my hands softens the skin and tears the blisters open (OUCH!). Then I either have to miss out on climbing for a week to let the torn blisters heal or suck it up and climb on in pain. I'd prefer to climb, but I know that climbing with open sores is not a good thing. Is there something that I can do to prevent blisters from tearing while I climb, or (even better) prevent the blisters from occuring in the first place?

atpeaceinbozeman

Apr 29, 2005, 6:51 PM
Post #2 of 4 (994 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing with Blisters? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tape those badboys

http://starbulletin.com/...pecial/artstyle8.jpg

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Apr 29, 2005, 7:07 PM
Post #3 of 4 (994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The next time you get a blister that's filled enough to pop, pop either a small incision (for huge blisters, usually palms) or pop the whole thing off (usually at the base of your fingers), fill it with zinc oxide and cover it up with a band-aid &/or tape. If the blister is big enough, fill the blistered area under the flap of skin and leave the flap to cover it up. It sounds messy but it really works.

I started doing this for rowing season and for running, as I have insanely flat feet and blister all the time. After you've taped it and let it sit, uncover it, let it dry for a while, if it still hurts, tape it to climb, but these things usually dry out within a day if you use that stuff.

azrockclimber

May 2, 2005, 6:54 PM
Post #4 of 4 (994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep going bro...it'll fix itself soon enough..if you climb as soon as your hands heal up a little then you will have feet for hands like the rest of us.

when I first started it was all I could do to keep my hands from bleeding at every session for the first 2 months. after that they really toughened up.

So many climbers who have been climbing their whole lives have the most unbelievably tough hands ever. Its basically like growing up barefoot..except on your hands...ha..I dunno...keep at it and you'll be fine.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook