RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

johnhenry

Jul 7, 2002, 9:45 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2161 views)
Shortcut

The Camp 4 bummer...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am really looking forward to my trip to the valley next month, but I can't help but think that it is sad that I will avoid staying in C4 like a scorching case of herpes.

The situation there has degenerated steadily since I first started going there. Last summer, rangers were waking legally bivyed climbers at midnight to check their permits and I was forcibly ejected because I was slow to get my wall kit packed up.

Please don't take this as an anti-ranger thread, it is not at all. We have many ranger comrades here, and law and order is quite obviously necessary for society (take that anarchists).

It just that what could be the coolest place in our wall climbing world has become a real drag. It simply saddens me thats all.

Am I alone???

[ This Message was edited by: johnhenry on 2002-07-07 02:47 ]

billcoe_

Jul 7, 2002, 2:38 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2161 views)
Shortcut

The Camp 4 bummer... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

John Henry, you going to the ditch in August? Man, and I thought Hawaii was hot that time of year.

I totally agree with you on the camp 4 thing, could I recommend staying in the Awahnee? I think it's only a couple of hundred more a night isn't it?

Seriously, camp 4 has pests on all sides, the squirels (Bushy Tail Rat califonius) will chew through your tent to get your pack which they will also chew through as it smells like the the granola crumb that dropped inside last time you ate lunch. Or the humans (2 varieties: assholus tourista and assholus Ascenderous) will score your North Face Tent and the bag of your dreams that you scrimped, saved and possibly sacrificed having a vasectomy or paying for prostitutes for.

But whats a mother to do? The best possible solution is to sign up early for a regular campsite, not camp 4. You might look around and see if there is one site you favor more than another while you are down there. I belive you can sign up on the internet at the parks site (I'm too lazy to do this myself, but I always stay in a campsite one of my friends scored this way)

Good luck, find shade amigo and have fun.

Bill

billcoe_

Jul 7, 2002, 2:43 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW: I suspect there might be a "better way" forthcoming soon!

How about finding out the next time PTPPete will be there and suprising him by moving into his tent while he's up ont he wall?

suprisssseeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B

rickoldskool

Jul 7, 2002, 8:04 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnhenry, I have stayed in camp 4 more times than I can remember. It's because I have the privelage of living very close to the valley. In all these years I have never been rousted, bothered, harassed or treated in any way that I thought was unfair. If your illegal, well that's another story. Camp 4 is a colorful place to be if your a climber. Even if you don't know anybody, your there solo, there is a sense your someplace special. Why deprive yourself, if it saddens you so. I believe, positively, that the incident you described, though not unheard of, is very unlikely if your there legally. There are other things about camp 4 that I don't like, Ranger harassment is NOT one of them.

I would like to add; there are many ways to "camp, bivi, etc." in the valley. The BETTER WAY is to do it legally! It is because of all the illegal camping that rangers have the attitude they do. Most of it being done by climbers, or so called valley locals. It ruins it for ALL climbers.

[ This Message was edited by: rickoldskool on 2002-07-07 13:15 ]

apollodorus

Jul 7, 2002, 8:22 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guerrillas of all types "go to ground" when the going gets tough. There is considerable camping in the Valley for free, but one must learn to see without being seen, and hear without being heard. A true shodakan priest never invites or accepts conflict when it is possible to step to the side and let trouble pass by, young grasshoppa.

Or be like Chongo, and take up residence on the Sea of Dreams for 18 months. Camping on the wall is legal. And the bears can't get your food. Watch out for those little weird wall squirrels, or whatever they are.

I think Never Never Land has a nice ledge only a few ropes off the ground.

justsendingits

Jul 29, 2002, 7:47 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2161 views)
Shortcut

whatever [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As much tax revenue,as this country has,we should not have to pay a dime to sleep on the ground.
And as Johnhenery said,there is a need for law enforcement in the valley.But a few of the Rangers have negative vibes they give off,even to those of us who have paid in the past.
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!<

crackaddict

Jul 31, 2002, 8:06 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Billcoe

I don't think Pete ever camps at camp 4.

Pretty sure its the El Cap campground for him. I was there for a week and he was on the wall the whole time. Wall camping is where its at, like appolo said. You have the best views, no noisy niegbors dumping beer bottles in the trash all night, no bears, fees. Thats where I will be on my next trip to the ditch. No more camp 4.

johnhenry

Aug 1, 2002, 1:42 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ill be there on Sat. Aug. 3 to Sat. Aug. 10. Leave a message on the C4 board if you want to drink a beer with an online freak like me.

You can spot me cause I am 6'6 and built like a brick sh-t house.

(ok 6' feet and pretty skinny... )

Cant wait! John

freeclmr

Aug 6, 2002, 6:59 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

too bad I missed you, John. I was in the valley this last weekend and on Freeblast again saturday.
As far as camp 4 is concerned, if you legitimately pay your fee and put your tag on your tent, no ranger will bother you. But if you get into the valley and you find camp 4 full (like I did Friday afternoon) then you must pursue other options; like paying your $5 bucks to a friendly family in the lower pines campgroud to allow you to join their 'family' for a night.
Brian

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook