Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

spank_spank

Mar 20, 2002, 6:39 PM
Post #51 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Why do you like gym climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What I like about a gym is that its air conditioned or heated depending on the weather.

I get to see a lot of friends there.

doki

Jul 3, 2002, 1:48 PM
Post #52 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mostly i go gym everyday right after work and weekends i go outdoors at S.F.bay area local climbing spot. Tell me do you climb everyday? atleast me i climb everyday better than nothing, i cant blame RADISTRAD yeah! gym is $16 day pass but you wanna PLAY you gotta PAY.

DOKI

sharmagod

Jul 3, 2002, 1:58 PM
Post #53 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a phobia of heights so when I first started climbing it happened in a controlled enviroment like the gym.

Right now I still climb often at the gym cause transportation is a problem for me to go outside.Gym is a lot closer.I also find that I can work on my technique a lot easier in a gym.When I head out to the crags this is when I try to put what I learnt in the gym to use.

By the way, I went outdoors this past Monday and had a blast.Hope to go again very soon.

texasclimber

Jul 3, 2002, 7:50 PM
Post #54 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Practice for the real deal.

bigbouda

Jul 3, 2002, 8:46 PM
Post #55 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I don’t think « climbing » is the biggest part of climbing. Exploration, adventure, being outside, hiking in, hiking out, being away from the crowds, etc etc…are much bigger parts of climbing.
If you want to break down being in the mountains down to the nuts and bolts of smearing and edging, as easily replicable on plastic as it is, you’re being very very simplistic.
Similarily to hiking being replicated by spending hours on a treadmill/ stairmaster, I think pulling plastic is a very cheap way to mimic the actual climb.
Climbing indoors is a nice way to keep your mental edge sharp and maintain your tendon/ muscle strengh. That’s it. If given the chance I would rather hike, bike, even walk around town then to take it inside and « rock climb » ! ! ! !
I know a lot of people hopped on the sport starting inside first. That’s great.
For me climbing has always been an extension of hiking. Hiking turns into scrambling, which in turn becomes class 4, then easy class 5. Climbing helps you explore. Exploring the top of the ceiling of the climbing might be great for some. That’s great. I have friends who trip on curling and there’s no prob with that. But I think apart being good « occasional » training for climbing, indoor and outdoor climbing are veryyyy different and do not have the same goals. Just my 2 cents

katywhitman

Jul 3, 2002, 9:04 PM
Post #56 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started climbing on rock and did not fell up to the gym scene either at first. But once I went a few times I realized that I was working much harder and was able to do things I could not on the rock before. My foot strenght has definitely improved the most. There are many more dimes in the gym and my feet are forced to WORK. It is quite painful at first but you will TOTALLY notice the difference later.

arachnifem

Jul 3, 2002, 9:07 PM
Post #57 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gyms have pluses and minuses. I like to train in them during the winter when it's too wet or the rock's snowed over. Because the routes are generally short & well-spaced, I can get a lot of climbing in during a very short period of time. I also find myself more willing to try harder routes than outside (fear factor strikes again )
What doesn't appeal to me about gym climbing is that usually they're crowded with newbies (no offense, I just started climbing a few years ago) and their kids (crag-rats). This sometimes makes for a difficult situation in which to get a good workout. Also, I have found that the grit they use to make the walls "rocklike" actually eats up the rand on my shoes more than outdoors (even with good, clean foot work).
Gyms have their purpose, for sure. But nothing beats the real thang, baby!

[ This Message was edited by: arachnifem on 2002-07-03 14:11 ]

bomber

Jul 3, 2002, 9:13 PM
Post #58 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to climb in the gym in the winter because it keeps my strength and endurance up. When it comes down to it, it would much rather climb out side than climb plastic. Oh yeah, climbing outside is free .

orestes1724

Jul 4, 2002, 12:33 AM
Post #59 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like climbing in the gym. The people there are really cool, and they can often teach you a lot. because i have no car, a lot of times the gym is the only option. And its really good for training. I would rather climb outside, but thats not always an option.

svilnit

Jul 7, 2002, 5:03 PM
Post #60 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best part of a gym is meeting people to go climbing with outdoors, also the ability to climb 40 different routes in a day (if you so choose) is great. It also gives you the ability to hone your technique and strength in a controlled environment. Finally, it is an unlimited source for beta of local climbs!

~steve~

col_sanderz

Jul 10, 2002, 7:19 PM
Post #61 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Theostudent, I hear ya totally. I go to school in Duluth. Sweet bouldering and such when its warm but once october rolls around that darn cold wind from the lake is just too much. After that I go to VE. No gear to lug around, bathrooms, water on tap. The soft landings in the bouldering caves are also a bonus(Im a magnet for hard falls)

wildtrail

Jul 10, 2002, 7:22 PM
Post #62 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't like the gym at all. It is nowhere near "climbing", but it serves its purpose. Good for work-outs.

Steve

maverick

Jul 20, 2002, 10:32 PM
Post #63 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are indoor gyms everything that everyone makes them out to be? Everyone says that they're so great, and that they love climbing at the gym. Like, i know that it's a good training tool, but is it really that good?
Maverick

rush

Jul 21, 2002, 1:48 AM
Post #64 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb at the gym to work out. Very good for gaining strength and technique.
But I will not trade rock for gym, no way!

Climb on

climber_dude

Jul 26, 2002, 7:28 AM
Post #65 of 65 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

because its convientient, you dont need much gear and the closest rock to me is 1.5 hours away

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook