Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cchildre

May 10, 2005, 6:57 PM
Post #26 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alpinist X smokin' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

[quote="tenesmus]Unfortunately, most guys who do toke up then simply get in their car and drive home. Have you? Isn't that even more dangerous?
In reply to:

Car and Driver conducted a study of the effects of Pot on Drivers. The group was put through a driving corse using cones. Score was generated by elapsed time and number of cones contacted. First pass stone sober, Second pass toked up on weed. Sober drives completed the circut in a faster time than the stoned ones but they hit many more cones than while under the influence. A heightened sense of awarness for the grass makes most drivers more deliberate and cautious. Their conclusion is that a stoned driver will often drive at or below the speed limit and be safer in their navigation of the roads. Put to excess, getting too high can impare your driving but then the only thing you will probably hit is the curb in front of the nearest 7-11 when you stop by for a bag of chips, a slurpee, hotdog, candy bar, sunflower seeds, ice cream cone, and a box of ding dongs.

Drugs er Bwaaad!

fiend

May 10, 2005, 7:13 PM
Post #27 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think there are a lot of people who would be shocked to know the number of people who are out there toking on a regular basis. The funny part about this is that many "non-user's" interact with them regularly without knowing it.

I know a few people where the best way to tell if they're sober is when they're acting sketchy. In a lot of ways I'd trust their performance more when they're high and acting like any other person.

Of course, then you're dealing with someone who has a dependancy rather than just a recreational smoker.

chico

May 10, 2005, 7:13 PM
Post #28 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would have to agre with Gat, and others who have posted similar thoughts, but I will take it a step further. I would be willing to bet that the accident stats among climbers are higher for those who do not smoke than those who do. Marajuana is an easy scapegoat in hindsight, but not necissarily a cause or even a factor in most climbing accidents.
To say that someone is a danger to themselves and others, as if they were a ticking time-bomb if they climb while stoned is absurd. Get a grip. There are alot of reasons for climbing accidents, and smoking pot is way down on the list. Sitting on your port-a-ledge pounding Oly in the afternoon sun while in a dehydrated state is a way better arguement for personal/public safety breech, but no one is bitching about that now are they? Like others have said, know your limits, and do what you gotta do, but don't go around pointing your finger, armed with whimpy bullshit bias.
As far as performance is concerned? It depends. I know people who are off the couch 5.12 climbers when baked, and others who's knees start knocking on 5.7 when baked. If you know which one you are, then adjust your pre-climb ritual accordingly. Mkay?

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

May 10, 2005, 7:18 PM
Post #29 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as driving goes, it seems like you could go either way while stoned. You could either have a slightly more heightened awareness, or you could be more of a road hazard, akin to a drunk driver. It's a fine line and not something you necessarily have control over.

I can't say I've never smoked before, but if it is a performance enhancing drug, it isn't from an athletic perspective. Climbing is not a cardio-intense sport, it's strength-based and mentally intense. For those who rely on pot to be brave enough to go for long reaches or get over their fear of heights, I would absolutely argue that the substance is performance enhancing. But it does not provide athletic advantage.

I still can't help seeing parallels between people who smoke and climb/drive/whatever and people who drink and drive. Especially when we're arguing about just being slightly buzzed vs. being smashed. I don't cater to governmentally instigated paranoia, and I would rather see marijuana legalized over tobacco in a heartbeat, but I have a hard time stomaching climbing with a stoned partner (or in close proximity to stoned climbing parties) in a gym setting, let alone on a crag, and NEVER when there might be children around.

vegasguy

May 10, 2005, 7:26 PM
Post #30 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unless you have smoked and climbed yourself, you have no way of knowing if you are going to be a threat to your self and others around you. i think it is safe to say the people smoking and climbing have done it before, one would hope that they don't get stoned for the first time and then go climbing. start small go bouldering then work your way up. thats how myself and every one else i know that smokes while climbing started. there should be no problem with getting stoned then climbing. but on the flip side the smoker should tell whom every they are climbing with about there current state of mind and let the other people of there party deciced what they want to do next, climb with them or not.

smoke em if ya got em

fiend

May 10, 2005, 7:42 PM
Post #31 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But if you're the type to smoke and then become unable to make rational decisions then how will you be able to decide if you're safe enough to climb?

What if all you dope-smokin hippies were really just too high to realize that you were a danger to yourself and everyone around you?

What if you got the munchies before climbing, snarfed a bag of chips, and then greased off a hold before falling to your death?

What if... uh... I forget what I was going to say next but it was really good!

holmeslovesguinness

May 10, 2005, 7:47 PM
Post #32 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey look! Another thread about smoking pot and climbing! Yipee! If we could somehow manage to work Chris Sharma into the discussion then this thread would be just about perfect!

gat

May 10, 2005, 8:02 PM
Post #33 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey look! Another thread about smoking pot and climbing! Yipee! If we could somehow manage to work Chris Sharma into the discussion then this thread would be just about perfect!

Yep, it's well on it's way to perfection because you just bitched about how "this has been covered before". Now all we need is someone to correct a speling airor feur tha thred two b perfikt.

fiend

May 10, 2005, 8:05 PM
Post #34 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yep, it's well on it's way to perfection because you just b---- about how "this has been covered before". Now all we need is someone to correct a speling airor feur tha thred two b perfikt.

Loser, the period goes inside the quotes:

In reply to:
Yep, it's well on it's way to perfection because you just b---- about how "this has been covered before." Now all we need is someone to correct a speling airor feur tha thred two b perfikt.

dead_milkman

May 10, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #35 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I spent two years working at a gym teaching people to belay with those things. I have come to the conclusion that they are more dangerous than other belay devices because people think they are so safe that they become incredibly inattentive to the belay.

However... while the person holding the gri-gri may be more inatentive, the consequences of his lack of attention are greatly reduced by the device. Thus, the risk is much lower with a gri-gri than, say, a tube. This is exactly why we gym instructors insist on the use of the gri-gri in beginner courses and especially with kids... and this is truly beside the point of the thread.

As for Alpinist X: I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, as always. Once again, this journal rises tiers above the so-called 'competition'. "Love Stinks" by AC was and excellent and inspiring read... The Ama Dablam section had me dreaming of expensive plane tickets and altitude-induced vomitting. And... "PUFF the magic climber" by Loda Bohl (get it? ba dum dum ching!) was funny and thought provoking. BUT... the single most important point comes as a reminder, "Smoke pot, check your knot." Seriously.

BC.

cosmiccragsman

May 10, 2005, 8:58 PM
Post #36 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhh practicing Rope maneuvers. I am very efficient with my rope
handeling.
cosmiccragsman

chico

May 10, 2005, 9:43 PM
Post #37 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now that I think about it, vegasguy has got a point. Perhaps people who smoke and climb should be more responsible and considerate to the safety of their fellow climbers. Maybe they should wear a flashing yellow light on top of their helmet, or a blaze orange vest and tell anyone and everyone who is within earshot about their current state of gonjafication. Yeah, that's a good idea...what a dill hole. Eh, newsflash, If you are baked, your buddies are gonna know! Why not tell them what you had for breakfast and then see if they still want to climb with you.
But why stop there? You could shout from the top of the climb to people down below "Get out of the way, I'm stoned! Oh my god I can't control myself! If you value your life, run before I untie and try to fly!" Think of the lives you could save...Hey fiend, what if you flogged your midget before climbing and greased off a hold and fell to your death because you have over conditioned palms and low testosterone levels? What then huh? (actually, the snack gag was pretty funny.)

fiend

May 10, 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #38 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Monkey spanking is strictly verboten before climbing. Do olympic athletes have sex before their events? Ok, Bad Example... but this kind of 'tension relief' will detrimentally affect your ability focus or 'get aggro' on a climb.

Post-autoerotism may even find you prefering to talking about your feelings rather than actually climbing anything.

You're better off smoking crack... and I'm not talking about the splitter Indian Creek kind.

vegasguy

May 10, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #39 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chico,
don't know what type of stoner climbers you are around but most of the time you can't tell that i'm or any one i'm with is stoned. maybe you should stop generalizing and be a little more open minded. if your ever in vegas get in touch and we can burn a bowl and go climbing.

cchildre

May 10, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #40 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Chico was joking bro! Think what you will of dope smokers...the substance has never been banned...the us goverment has not been able to ban any substance. The only reason it became illegeal was because of the formation of the FDA, that department controls all drugs and that department initally equated pot with cocaine and heroine...not hardly, and I think many are uneducated about smoking and the very real benefits it provides. I just gotta get around that black lung thing.

chico

May 11, 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #41 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo Fiend, riddle me this: What if you were waxing the dolphin before a climb, but you were so baked that you forgot to finish. Then you had all this pent up aggression that needed to be released so you then got on a climb that you didn't think you could do--but you did. Would that or would that not be an example of Marajuana enhancing your climbing performance?
P.S. Vegasguy: O.K. but just remember...you asked for it!

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

May 11, 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #42 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chico's name is chico. 'Nuff said!

(If you're not a NorCal native, use your imagination)

chico

May 11, 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #43 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey blonde_loves_bolts. I'm so glad you got that! I was wondering when someone was going to make that connection. It's a person, It's a place, It's a thingy. Way to go!

kyote321

May 11, 2005, 1:00 PM
Post #44 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just gotta get around that black lung thing.

vaporize!

goto vriptech.com for ideas

Partner eyecannon

May 11, 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #45 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Smoking is for AFTER you are done climbing.

lazyjammin

May 11, 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #46 of 46 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When bouldering, and I decide to smoke, I usually end up laying in the sun, thinking about climbing, with one shoe strapped to my feet staring at the other one and thinking about how hard it is to put it on. Sometimes when sport climbing and smoking a bit I will either be super relaxed or paranoid (I usually get more paranoid sport climbing than anywhere else, even sober). The few times I tradded high it was the most relaxing peaceful climbing experience I have had. I felt like I was flowing perfectly, not thinking about anything, and just placing or pulling gear as I cruised. But this was on easier stuff. Anyways smoking herb can be good, can be bad, but I will still do it every once in a while.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook