RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

berkly

May 6, 2005, 7:02 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Sleeping Pads manual v. self inflating
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well Im getting a big agnes bag and started looking at pad options. Anybody have any experience with either of these or similar models.

self inflating

http://www.bigagnes.com/images/pad-t.gif

versus

manual inflate

http://www.bigagnes.com/images/pad-ia.gif

Just looking for some opinions before the purchase.
thanks

sticky_fingers

May 6, 2005, 8:21 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sleeping Pads manual v. self inflating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a couple of self inflating therm-a-rests. I like the self inflating because you can set up camp, including untwisting the nozzle on your self inflating pad, and when you come back from hiking/climbing/whatever it'll be filled. But as others may recommend, you might wanna add a few breaths to it before you screw it closed for extra firmness.
Apart from price, I'm curious why anybody would want to manually inflate their pad?

total_noob

May 6, 2005, 8:25 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend and I recently both bought the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pads and are quite pleased with them. Our main factors that we looked at were price, size, warmth, and weight. This thing shrinks down unbelievably small compared to a lot of the higher priced therm-a-rests. It does take a little while to air up but it's not a hard chore to do. There are some decent reviews online here

kubi

May 6, 2005, 8:35 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are the manually inflated ones filled with anything, or is it just empty airspace? I've never used one of those before (only thermarests) but I'd imagine that the lack of any foam to stop convection would mean that these pads aren't very warm.

z_rock90

May 7, 2005, 3:25 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a thema-rest and a cheap wal-mart one. it realy doesn't take long to fill the cheap one. but I use the thema-rest because its lighter.

Partner slacklinejoe

May 7, 2005, 3:52 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Are the manually inflated ones filled with anything, or is it just empty airspace? I've never used one of those before (only thermarests) but I'd imagine that the lack of any foam to stop convection would mean that these pads aren't very warm.

Big Agnes pads are quite warm due to the insulation they have inside the pad. I'm a cold sleeper and would suffer too many nights on an older foam pads, I always thought it was my bag, but turns out after switching to the inflatable pad I'm comfy in the same bag in worse weather.

Frankly, the big agnes pad has been a blessing, price was steep (by my standards), but the comfort level is fantastic (2.5" of loft is a lot compared to those crappy foam rigs). It packs down to nothing, and is super light weight. I don't plan on going back anytime soon.

As far as any inflatables go (both manual or self), you've always got to weight in the possibility of having to repair the thing in the field, if you get too rough with it. Some pads like the big agnes come with a field repair kit that stays in the stuff sack - don't be caught unprepared.

My biggest recommendation for evaluating pads, don't overinflate them. You don't need them rock solid filled, just filled enough to keep your back off the ground. With the smaller loft self inflating pads, they have to be fairly firm to keep you off the ground, if you like a softer bed, the higher loft manual inflating ones will have you needing an alarm clock.

stuckinmidwest

May 7, 2005, 4:57 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a company from Europe called Exped that makes great pads. Recently, an Outdoor Research guy came to the REI I work at and we got to test out some pads. The downmat 7 is the first non synthetic sleeping mat with a layer of 700 fill down smashed inbetween more insulation so it doesnt move around and get lumpy. They inflate to like 2.5 inches using the bag it comes in as a bellows to fill it rather than blowing into it (causing moisture to collect inside and ruin parts of the mat) They have radio something or other seamed seals and the regular weighs something like 17oz. The price on that one was around 140 but it seems worth it. Check em out at ORGEAR.COM

overlord

May 7, 2005, 7:50 AM
Post #8 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i prefer self inflating.

dingus

May 7, 2005, 1:44 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a self-inflating ego and find it more useful than those climbers who need to be blown in order to have their small ego's inflated.

Did I just say that?

I have used thermarest mattresses for years. Generally speaking I am too impatient to realize the benefits of their self-inflation properties. I just open the valve and blow em up anyway. Takes like 30 seconds, even after indulging in a nug and getting all short of breath.

So I suggest it really doesn't matter. I wouldn't personally go with a like a 3 inch thick air mattress unless I was pretty satisfied it was as light as a thinner one and durable as hell, however.

DMT

papounet

May 10, 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless mistaken, self inflating have a thin core of foam inside that will "expand", which manual inflatable haven't.

If punctured in the field, the self inflatable will still have some thickness, insulation and comfort left wheras the manual won't have any.

Visit a shop and try out the self inflatable with the plug open to see what I mean

Partner slacklinejoe

May 10, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If punctured in the field, the self inflatable will still have some thickness, insulation and comfort left wheras the manual won't have any.

Visit a shop and try out the self inflatable with the plug open to see what I mean

I certainly wouldn't want to have to actually rely on a leakly self inflateable, it gives very little comfort at all. The heavy/bulkier ones might provide a little padding, but at that point you could be using your jacket as a pad and get more comfort.

I'm a pretty firm believer that the field repair kits are a necessity, even though mine has never leaked, if it did, it ony takes 25 minutes to fix as long as I didn't shred the thing.

As far as weight, the insulated version of the REM pad from Big Agnes is only 21 oz. to 32 oz. depending on the size and cut. They are rated to 15 degrees as well.

Meanwhile the Hinman pads (their self inflating line) are covered to lower temps varying from 20 degrees to -30 degrees but they start off weighting 29 oz and go up to 74 oz.

berkly

May 10, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well the number one concern is comfort. second is pack size and weight.

Ive slept on air matresses before and always thought they were pretty decent if they kept their air overnight. of course those were full on mattresses and certainly not only 3in thick.

then there is the ridge rest which i thought absolutely sucked, but I guess barely better than nothing..

So, does the manual inflatables keep their air all night, and do you ever touch the ground?

Ive noticed they are lighter, pack smaller, and are thicker than self inflatables, so if people say they are more comfortable than a self inflatable, Im sold.

Partner gamehendge

May 10, 2005, 5:12 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using a Therma Rest for years till a friend recently turned me to the InsulMat Thermo Max. Never looked back. VERY comfy, packs smaller/lighter than a thermarest (about the size of a Foster's Can), and warm cause it has synthethic fill in the tubes. The price wasn't too bad either. It's major pros though has got to be it's comfort. 3" thick. The only downside is the obvious task of inflating it, but it takes only about 15 breaths. It's also treated inside to prevent mildew from occuring.

http://www.rei.com/product/47777903.htm?

Partner slacklinejoe

May 10, 2005, 5:19 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ive noticed they are lighter, pack smaller, and are thicker than self inflatables, so if people say they are more comfortable than a self inflatable, Im sold.

Yep. Way more comfy, or at least compared to the self inflating ones I've used, which weren't bad overall, they just didn't approach the comfort the big loft gave. You had to have them fully inflated or you'd bottom out, which translated to moderately firm to very firm. Of course, someone considerably lighter may find different results.

The only downside is a bit more expensive, but not too much and something not designed for super cold bivy's. The extra 2 minutes inflating it are not a major consideration in my opinion.

But you gain a much smaller packed down size, more comfort. The Big Agnes pads have a nice brass air valve that doesn't have the leaking problems you might have had with cheaper stuff.

Like I mentioned earlier, just don't over-inflate them, they get rock hard if you want them that way.

Partner tattooed_climber

May 11, 2005, 5:06 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

foam is way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who cares if it gets wet....

repairable (tape peice ONE to peice TWO)

more aplications

cheaper

lighter

more bunkier****(just strap to the size of you pack, and you won't notice it

blah blah...i could go on...air sucks....

POP!

i have a thermarest z-lite,,,i also sometimes use the hard core 15mm Yellow foam (which the 'proper' name escapes me right now)

jorian_nl

May 11, 2005, 1:38 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the therm-a-rest guidelite.

Pro's:
Easy, light, compact and insulates good It's also a bit smaller so you can put 4 of them in a tent where you can put only 3 manual inflateables(you don't have take another tent with you, saves more weight)

Con's:
They are a bit more pricy and are less comfy.

Try them out at the store or borrow one from your friends so you can take the best choice for you.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook