RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

lehanen

May 11, 2005, 1:07 PM
Post #1 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Best online gear shops
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are on the best online gear shops?

keinangst

May 11, 2005, 1:13 PM
Post #2 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best online gear shops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

www.gearexpress.com

They're actually a real B&M shop in IL who just happen to also sell online. Great people to work with, fair prices, and they're not just some faceless, cost-cutting internet entity.

jorian_nl

May 11, 2005, 1:14 PM
Post #3 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Globetrotter is great.

They have everything for the outdoors.
Low prices and you have your order in a few days.

Look at http://www.globetrotter.de

crotch

May 11, 2005, 1:19 PM
Post #4 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gearexpress.com is #1 for service.

crimpstrength

May 11, 2005, 1:25 PM
Post #5 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A third for gearexpress. They hand sign each receipt twice to be sure the order is right. I got an email from them sending me a tracking number once when I didn't order anything. I called up to let them know and they actually apologized. Quick shipping and the most fair prices anywhere.

markc

May 11, 2005, 1:28 PM
Post #6 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
http://www.gearexpress.com

They're actually a real B&M shop in IL who just happen to also sell online. Great people to work with, fair prices, and they're not just some faceless, cost-cutting internet entity.

I've used Gear Express several times, and I've always been pleased. When I was building my rack, I mentioned in my comments that I found a better package deal on cams. Less than 24 hours later, I received an e-mail offering to match the price. Very fair, very fast shipment. If I can't get it in my local store, they're the first place I look.

dadi

May 11, 2005, 2:12 PM
Post #7 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moosejaw Mountaineering, they have great service, price matching and a reward point system which is very nice.

ericbeyeler

May 11, 2005, 2:25 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mountain Gear is the best for selection - service is good too. GearExpress is also good, but much more limited selection.

Eric

robo555

May 12, 2005, 6:59 AM
Post #9 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know why not many people mention backcountry.com in this forum.

They've got a huge range, free shipping, and pretty much always cheaper or same price as elsewhere (unless other places were on special or blems like gearexpress).

It's pretty much always cheaper than REI and MooseJaw, and even with the current REI sale, Backcountry's matching it with 20% off BD biners and Mammut ropes as well.

GearExpress's good for looking for closeouts and blems.

natrajk

May 12, 2005, 7:30 AM
Post #10 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bent Gate Mountaineering
http://www.bentgate.com

Not the prettiest website, but the customer service is great!

chemicalclimber

May 12, 2005, 7:34 AM
Post #11 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a fan of http://www.backcountrygear.com, myself.

korntera

May 12, 2005, 8:34 AM
Post #12 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pagangear.com (a.k.a. climbaxe to Portland Climbers) and backcountrygear.com in eugene.

-Travis

Partner mr8615

May 12, 2005, 10:41 AM
Post #13 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.mtntools.com is a great site with really outstanding customer service, plus they get aliens in from time to time! :D

montaniero

May 12, 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #14 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are in Ireland, as I am in Spain, so its a different ballgame for us. Most Euro online shops are NOW much more expensive (+30-50% depending on the item) than their US counterparts. SO unless you are looking for something very specific that you need right away forget about Globetrotter, Barrabes, etc. A small exception might be ski gear, which even after taking into account the elevated Euro exchange rate has similar prices than US (is not that Europe is cheaper but rather that skiing gear is very expensive in the US). A good Euro online shop is Telemark Pyrenees. But as this is a climbing post, let's focus on that.

What I do is order from US shops to friends addresses in the US. This cuts about $40-50 in shipping charges off the final cost. Then when someone traves over the pond I beg to bting me the gear. Again, this doesn't work if you are in need of an item for next weekend but for planning big purchases. Try to make use of the seasonal sales, eg. REI has 2-3 big sales every year (there is one right now). Regarding the following shops (I shopped with all of them):

REI: This has THE best customer service, PERIOD. You can return anything anytime, no questions asked. Some people abuse this policy but even doing so the company uphelds it. So if you need to buy climbing gear (ropes, carabiners, cams, etc.) you are not sure will fit your needs this is the place (other shops don't allow you to return climbing gear). There are two catches: First, It is the only online shop that charges taxes, due to their retail presence they have to if you order to an address in a state they have a shop; second, they don't offer free shipping. So you might have to take this into account when you calculate cost with other shops (plus substract the 8% dividend).

MOUNTAIN GEAR: Its the one with the most products in offer. So if you can't find it somewhere else, they probably have it. Check their Clearance section, lots of discounted products. Good return policy, although not for climbing gear (only REI does that). No taxes nor shipping cost in orders above $50.

BACKCOUNTRY: Good selection of products. Every week thay have a product category with items 20-30% off. Good return policy, although not for climbing gear (only REI does that). No taxes nor shipping cost in orders above $50.

MOOSEJAW: Good customer service, although they don't have a stock as big as the previous shops so sometimes they take longer to process your order. No taxes nor shipping cost in orders above $100.

ALTREC: Good shop. Only shop with Free Shipping Return, in case you are not so sure you want it (good for ordering shoes, trying several sizes and returning the others). No taxes but you pay some shipping.

SIERRA TRADING POST: Awesome killer deals in last year models/colors. No taxes but you pay some shipping.

MOUNTAIN TOOLS: My experience with them is not as good. They never pick up the phone, nor return e-mail, take their time to ship. But they have some specialty items you can't get at other shops, so might be good for those specialty items you can get at other shops. No taxes but you pay some shipping.

BACKCOUNTRY GEAR: Good shop and customer service. A little slow to answer e-mail.

This is only my experience, some people might have had different with this shops. Hope this helps.

duality4569

May 12, 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #15 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gear Express is the best store period.

I usually can get free shipping and since I'm only and hour and a half away, it's only 1 day shipping
8^)

wingnut

May 12, 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #16 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pagangear.com is my favorite. cheap quality gear.

lucas_timmer

May 12, 2005, 2:45 PM
Post #17 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Globetrotter is great.

They have everything for the outdoors.
Low prices and you have your order in a few days.

Look at http://www.globetrotter.de
It's a nice shop with lots of stuff but you can most things for half the price at other stores like Rock Empire and Gearexpress.

chalkfree

May 12, 2005, 2:58 PM
Post #18 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

'Nother vore for gearexpress. They're awesome about getting your gear to you, and cheaply. Last time I ordered, one of them recognzed my last name and my relation to an Ely area writer, and wrote me an email asking about it.

That's freaking personal serivce.

<3

craftedpacket

May 12, 2005, 3:11 PM
Post #19 of 19 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have purchased from mgear.com, pagangear.com, and rockempire.com. Havent had any issues with any of them.

My buddy did have some problems with pagangear.com. They sent him the wrong shoes and in the wrong size when buying one of their gear packages. He had some trouble getting them to respond. But they ended up refunding some of his money and then sending him the right shoes. It wouldnt have been that big of a deal if they would have responded to email sooner. I think pagangear is a small mom and pop shop, so just be ready to hassle a bit if somthing you order isnt right.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook