Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

May 11, 2005, 6:01 PM
Post #1 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Tradding a sport route
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe the best way to raise your onsight level is to practice onsighting?

A recent discussion dissected the oft-beaten dead horse of define 'trad.' The traditional arguments (get it... traditional??? HAh! Sometimes I just KILL MYSELF!!!) ensued.

One of the points often centers around bolted faces, are these trad or not? Others focus on the methods of the first ascent, whether traditional methods were employed or not.

Lots of fine hairs to be split of course. No useful conclusions and no wisdom was gained by anyone. No matter, its rc.com and the internet afterall. The fun is in the argument, in refining the points of view.

Last Saturday Angus and I went sport climbing. It was fun. On the cliff were two new routes, about which neither of us knew anything whatsoever.

A line of bolts leading upward, some distant anchor chains. We couldn't see all the bolts on either of these routes. They were steep and totally unknown, including the grade. They didn't even have chalk on them to point out the holds.

Angus led one of them, ground up, no falls, no hangs. I say he tradded a sport route, in that he climbed employing the traditional methods. Sure, he clipped rapped placed bolts enroute, but he didn't place them and he had no foreknowledge of their location or number, save what he could see from the ground.

How is this fundamentally different from leading an established crack climb about which the climber knows nother other than what she can observe from the ground, or a bolted trad face? We are told that tradding is not simply to be equated to 'placing gear.' There is more to it than that. We are also told that a bolted face can be a trad climb.

HOW the bolts were placed is often a determination for if a bolted face is a sport climb or not, but even that isn't a reliable rule. A bolted face sport climb can be created from the ground up, for example.

Anyway, on sighting routes about which the leader essentially knows nothing save that which she can see with her own eyes IS one of the traditional means of climbing. And it is a proud thing to do too.

I'll tell you what... launching up some sport route with absolutely no knowledge of its grade, number of bolts, quality of bolts, etc... can be very intimidating.

Just some random tradtitional thoughts.

Cheers
DMT

asandh

May 11, 2005, 6:13 PM
Post #2 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tradding a sport route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

Partner j_ung

May 11, 2005, 6:18 PM
Post #3 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can we say that, similar to grade, the route's status as either sport, trad or mixed is defined by the community over time? That would be the easy way out.

dirtineye

May 11, 2005, 6:18 PM
Post #4 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh please.

keinangst

May 11, 2005, 6:19 PM
Post #5 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm...I'd say sport onsight. UNLESS he dragged his rack up there, expecting to perhaps find a few placements along the way. I might consider it trad at that point, FWIW, but it still sounds like sport onsight.

watchme

May 11, 2005, 6:36 PM
Post #6 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back when I started climbing in the late 80's, trad climbing ment a strict ground up ethic; no hangdogging, preplaced gear, top rope practice first, nothing. Now trad climbing seems to mean simply placing gear rather than clipping bolts (with the exception of maybe a run-out bolted face).

That is why I find the trad vs. sport arguements are so ridiculous. I don't know any true trad climbers anymore. I mean, who today really lowers off and pulls the rope after ever attempt on a "trad" climb?

I just go climbing, and am honest about what I do (and don't do). Sometimes I rap bolt, sometimes I preplace gear, sometimes I go ground up.

dingus

May 11, 2005, 6:37 PM
Post #7 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't suggest it was a trad route. I said he tradded a sport route, a difference imo.

The reverse... some ude uses preplaced gear and works a hard crack and eventually redpoints it after numerous days practice... that dude sport climbed a trad route.

DMT

watchme

May 11, 2005, 6:44 PM
Post #8 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I didn't suggest it was a trad route. I said he tradded a sport route, a difference imo.

The reverse... some ude uses preplaced gear and works a hard crack and eventually redpoints it after numerous days practice... that dude sport climbed a trad route.

Exactly. Trad climbing used to mean (and still does to me) a style, not natural gear vs. bolts. If I'm plugging the same size cam on an IC crack, that is not really any different than clipping bolts. BUT, if I don't hang on the rope ever, than I am climbing in the traditional way. If I rehearse the route on TR, then climb it with the gear in place, I'm climbing, well, in the untraditional way.

watchme

May 11, 2005, 6:46 PM
Post #9 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And bolts were a part of the style, but not the complete story. That is, rap bolting vs ground up bolting was only a part of the sport vs traditional debate.

maldaly

May 11, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #10 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus,
Just got back from the Splitter Camps and this Q came up there as well. It was in ref to a bolted face climb with 15-20 feet between bolts. I call routes like that bolted face climbs and would describe them as trad. Is there anyone out there who would call Bachar-Yerian or Doub-Griffith a sport climb? I don't think so. It's easier for me to put sport climbing in a box by defining it as bolt protected routes where falls are short and rarely dangerous, working a route is accepted and there is no shame in multiple attempts or clipping pre-hung draws. Further to your Q, I'd say that you did an onsight of a sport route, a rare occurance these days. Bravo!
Mal

mtman

May 11, 2005, 7:00 PM
Post #11 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is an perfect example of climbing a sport route in good style, i have done this before and it is deffrently diffrent than reading about it in a guide book first. as with many areas of climbing it is all about the style, which is almost more important than if you made it to the top.

mtman

azrockclimber

May 11, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #12 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Maybe the best way to raise your onsight level is to practice onsighting?

A recent discussion dissected the oft-beaten dead horse of define 'trad.' The traditional arguments (get it... traditional??? HAh! Sometimes I just KILL MYSELF!!!) ensued.

One of the points often centers around bolted faces, are these trad or not? Others focus on the methods of the first ascent, whether traditional methods were employed or not.

Lots of fine hairs to be split of course. No useful conclusions and no wisdom was gained by anyone. No matter, its rc.com and the internet afterall. The fun is in the argument, in refining the points of view.

Last Saturday Angus and I went sport climbing. It was fun. On the cliff were two new routes, about which neither of us knew anything whatsoever.

A line of bolts leading upward, some distant anchor chains. We couldn't see all the bolts on either of these routes. They were steep and totally unknown, including the grade. They didn't even have chalk on them to point out the holds.

Angus led one of them, ground up, no falls, no hangs. I say he tradded a sport route, in that he climbed employing the traditional methods. Sure, he clipped rapped placed bolts enroute, but he didn't place them and he had no foreknowledge of their location or number, save what he could see from the ground.

How is this fundamentally different from leading an established crack climb about which the climber knows nother other than what she can observe from the ground, or a bolted trad face? We are told that tradding is not simply to be equated to 'placing gear.' There is more to it than that. We are also told that a bolted face can be a trad climb.

HOW the bolts were placed is often a determination for if a bolted face is a sport climb or not, but even that isn't a reliable rule. A bolted face sport climb can be created from the ground up, for example.

Anyway, on sighting routes about which the leader essentially knows nothing save that which she can see with her own eyes IS one of the traditional means of climbing. And it is a proud thing to do too.

I'll tell you what... launching up some sport route with absolutely no knowledge of its grade, number of bolts, quality of bolts, etc... can be very intimidating.

Just some random tradtitional thoughts.

Cheers
DMT

oh man....................

lazyjammin

May 11, 2005, 7:43 PM
Post #13 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting, so when there is no line of chalk to point the holds out it is more of a trad route, yet trad you follow a line and dont need the white line, so are you sport climbing the trad route, but then if on a trad route there is no crack line then one must be sport climbing the trad route, and if its snowing and I onsight a sport route with no chalk is it mixed climbing. Also sometimes I skip bolts on sport routes and call this short soloing. By the way what is a route thats half trad half sport with a bouldery crux start?

jt512

May 11, 2005, 7:48 PM
Post #14 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there anyone out there who would call Bachar-Yerian or Doub-Griffith a sport climb?l

Yes:

For full entertainment value, click on the above quote.

-Jay

tonedawk

May 11, 2005, 7:52 PM
Post #15 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so, the question I was hoping to be answered when I saw this title was...
Should you also rack up something to chop the bolts off of a "sport climb" if you climb it via trad gear?
:twisted:

bluenose

May 11, 2005, 8:12 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Label.

That's it.

Just a label.

I will probably never understand why it makes so much difference, any difference for that matter, what you call the climb.

Just call it a good climb.

"Boy, that was a good climb". This doesn't offend anybody's sensibilities, doesn't play the ego.......Ohhhhh. Now I get it...ego.

Let's rub your ego and say it was a trad climb, who cares?

For the sake of the argument....

The very name "traditional" implies a certain period of climbing that is used as a reference. This makes it somewhat ambiguous, at best, as I'm sure that there were bolts (pitons or whatever) placed during this time of reference. Now, is this 10 years ago? Maybe 20? More?

From any reading I have done so far I have been led to believe that traditional climbing involves placing your own temporary gear to work a climb completely from the ground. This, to me would imply that you likely should be downclimbing the route as well, to really call it traditional.

Clip bolts? Lower the route? Even rapping off?

This, hopefully, is the first and last time that I have any input into this particular argument as I really don't care one way or the other. I'll climb to what my abilities allow and shall always call a good climb, a good climb.

Just for the sake of the argument.

Jeff.

Partner coldclimb

May 11, 2005, 8:34 PM
Post #17 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe there IS no exact line drawn between the two types of climbing. You've got the sport end of the spectrum, clipping bolts all the way up with little danger involved, and the trad end of the spectrum where you lead ground up with no information, no falls, placing your own pro where and when you find placements, and somewhere in the middle is a gradual transition between the two.

After all, not EVERYONE is adamantly either right-wing or left-wing politically, yet most people can apply a liberal or conservative title to themselves, even when they display attributes of both ends of the spectrum. ;)

bluenose

May 11, 2005, 8:51 PM
Post #18 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trouble with that is that everyone seems to want to be able to catagorize the climb. To me this makes less sense than the difficulty rating.

How about just dropping the rating by a certain number based on the percentage of preplaced pro on the climb?

A 5.12 becomes a 5.11 when bolted all the way. After all, this is about difficulty ratings, right?

To trad a sport climb, at least my first thought upon reading this topic, was that someone had climbed a bolted sport climb (isn't that redundant to say it that way?) and placed all their own gear, didn't use the bolts.

So, if they had clipped it at say 5.10, it just became a 5.12, for that climb if they placed their own gear.

This even allows the spewers to go on and on about their now inflated diffuculty rated climbs without having to argue which method they employed.

Jeff.

dingus

May 12, 2005, 4:07 PM
Post #19 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I DON'T care what type of route its called. Of course Angus onsighted it.

On sighting is in the best tradition of free climbing. Hence he tradded a sport route. Too bad if you don't like me saying that.

Heaven forbid we should dare think outside the box or have a bit of fun with climbing nomenclature.

DMT

bluenose

May 12, 2005, 4:19 PM
Post #20 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Heaven forbid we should dare think outside the box or have a bit of fun with climbing nomenclature.

DMT

Hmmm....maybe I missed the point here. I thought that the argument WAS the fun. :D

dingus

May 12, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #21 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

DMT

Hmmm....maybe I missed the point here. I thought that the argument WAS the fun. :D

There is a certain old tradster on this site with whom I enjoy debating. Now he is certainly under the impression that I just argue for argument's sake. He is entitled to his opinion. I'm pretty sure he's earned all his opinions. I know I'm entitled to mine.

It may seem disengenuous, but I've learned from the man every time we've debated. My opinions on these things constantly evolves and he (and plenty of others) help shape my views on climbing.

Some people learn from the lecture. Others have to make it up from scratch. An alarming number of people require some sort of rigid creed to which they constantly refer.

I learn by poking at the edges. I've always been this way (much to the consternation of my teachers in school). The truth of the middle is easy to discern. The truth of the margins is much more difficult.

Yes, I enjoy debating. But it isn't mean spirited (usually) and it isn't just arguing for the sake of the argument.

And lastly, I think it is a two way street. Many of us have surely thought or felt from time to time, "no one's opinion's are changed by any of this..." about some climbing, religious or political argument.

But I don't think that is always true. I think our minds do expand, even when we are confronted with the opinions we reject. If it gets us to reexamine our thoughts on the subject...

Cheers!
DMT

ambler

May 12, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #22 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I DON'T care what type of route its called. Of course Angus onsighted it.

On sighting is in the best tradition of free climbing. Hence he tradded a sport route. Too bad if you don't like me saying that.

Ah well, others have different perspectives -- I see no virtue in trying to blur the "trad" concept further; it has some useful importance, yet already confuses most of the gym generation.

I've done plenty of climbs in the style you describe, but I'd simply call them an onsight of a sport route, or if I felt a need to brag harder, a "no-beta onsight." Still, the climb itself remains a sport route, with no commitment except the distance between bolts. Plus, I don't like to verb "trad." But as we've established, I'm crusty.

keithlester
Deleted

May 13, 2005, 2:06 PM
Post #23 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

DMT

There is a certain old tradster on this site with whom I enjoy debating. Now he is certainly under the impression that I just argue for argument's sake. He is entitled to his opinion. I'm pretty sure he's earned all his opinions. I know I'm entitled to mine.

It may seem disengenuous, but I've learned from the man every time we've debated. My opinions on these things constantly evolves and he (and plenty of others) help shape my views on climbing.

Some people learn from the lecture. Others have to make it up from scratch. An alarming number of people require some sort of rigid creed to which they constantly refer.

I learn by poking at the edges. I've always been this way (much to the consternation of my teachers in school). The truth of the middle is easy to discern. The truth of the margins is much more difficult.

Yes, I enjoy debating. But it isn't mean spirited (usually) and it isn't just arguing for the sake of the argument.

And lastly, I think it is a two way street. Many of us have surely thought or felt from time to time, "no one's opinion's are changed by any of this..." about some climbing, religious or political argument.

But I don't think that is always true. I think our minds do expand, even when we are confronted with the opinions we reject. If it gets us to reexamine our thoughts on the subject...

Cheers!
DMT

Hey Dingus, I've had an idea.

You can't call it trad unless your at least in yr late 50's, can barely focus past the end of your nose, need yr bag changed twice a day, and are so arthritic that you have to tie on with a doubled back bow (of the shoe tying variety)

Leading, thats when your carer takes you by the hand and guides you to the restroom.

Belaying, hmm let me see, tied onto the crapper so you dont fall off.

This is gettin more ridiculous as I sit here trying to remember the thread of my thoughts.

Oh. yes, I remember, I'll be qualified to talk about trad in august, wish me a happy bithday. :o :lol:

ksolem

May 13, 2005, 2:30 PM
Post #24 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If climbing a sport route on sight is now to be called "trad," then by definition you are only sport climbing if you fall or take hangs prior to your actual ascent???

Tell me this. Could your buddy have done such a nice lead if the bolts weren't there? Would it have ever even occurred to him to climb the route if the bolts weren't there? That would have been Trad.

fiend

May 13, 2005, 2:44 PM
Post #25 of 34 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I see no virtue in trying to blur the "trad" concept further; it has some useful importance, yet already confuses most of the gym generation.

Yeah dood. Its tard if you only have like one rout per rope rather than like 5 with tape right?

My head hurts. I'm going back to the boldering forum.

But seriously, it all becomes a semantics debate once you get past the generally accepted definition.

I see this as having similarities to the punk/pop debate:

In reply to:
PUNK IS: the personal expression of uniqueness that comes from the experiences of growing up in touch with our human ability to reason and ask questions.

PUNK IS: a movement that serves to refute social attitudes that have been perpetuated through willful ignorance of human nature.

PUNK IS: a process of questioning and commitment to understanding that results in self-progress, and through repetition, flowers into social evolution.

PUNK IS: a belief that this world is what we make of it, truth comes from our understanding of the way things are, not from the blind adherence to prescriptions about the way things should be.

PUNK IS: the constant struggle against fear of social repercussions.

Notice anything about music in there? No.

Trad is not about climbing, it's about dirtbagging, gobies, and cheap liquor. Fred Becky could trad a sport climb...

That said, I'm off to sport climb the Grand Wall.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook