Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

asandh

Apr 27, 2005, 6:27 PM
Post #26 of 33 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Re: Santee Boulders for Sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:)

asandh

Apr 27, 2005, 6:28 PM
Post #27 of 33 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:(

asandh

Apr 27, 2005, 6:29 PM
Post #28 of 33 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:(

drawohken

May 11, 2005, 1:57 AM
Post #29 of 33 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I happened to meet the owner of the 27 acres last Saturday and thanked him for all of the great bouldering my family has experienced over the years. He is in fact selling the land, though it sounded like the boulder portion will be left alone to counter development of a church on the hill to the right of the boulders. He evidently bought the land in 1965 for about $900.00 an acre. I asked him about the liability issue and he said that when he researched it he found that if he didn't put up a fence, or try to regulate anyone from entering he wasn't liable. Hence, we've had many great years of bouldering. He doesn't know what will happen once the new owners take over, but said he is trying to ensure that the boulder section remains as open area for wildlife. How this change will affect us climbers appears to still be up in the air. He has tried to get the City to work with him, but mentioned that after a climber died in Mission Gorge the City appeared to loose interest.

Ken

bpe

May 11, 2005, 4:49 AM
Post #30 of 33 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,

Awesome man. Let me be the first to thank you for doing some good climber PR work. Its pretty cool you were able to get the story of this place. Its interesting to know.

Anyhow, like I originally thought, it appears that access is going to become the next issue with the boulders.

Its good that you set the tone of contact with a mature and civil conversation. I hope that same tone continues throughout this process.

asandh

May 12, 2005, 8:15 PM
Post #31 of 33 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the latest update on Santee Boulders:

Santee Boulders sits on 4 land parcels within the City of San Diego (not Santee). 2 of these parcels were quietly purchased in Jan 2005 by Pardee Construction. The parcel that has been up for sale recently has apparently found a buyer and is now in escrow. The buyer is NOT Pardee Construction but rather a small developer or individual from San Diego County. San Diego City Councilman Jim Madaffer recently sent the new buyer a letter expressing his conviction that the Santee Boulders area remain Open Space and be included as part of Mission Trails Park. Nothing is certain, but at least we know there is some political opposition to development of the Boulders. Meanwhile, the San Diego City Planning Office has told us that the planned development by Pardee Construction is in the "very early stages" and nothing has been approved by the S.D. City Council. It also appears that at least a portion of the Pardee owned land is proposed as open space. We still need to make further contact with City Planning for more details on the Pardee project.

San Diego Climbers Coalition

td

Feb 17, 2006, 1:48 AM
Post #32 of 33 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is happening with access & land sales at Santee now?

When I talked to the city of San Diego last year (the land north of Mast Blvd is in San Diego city limits)
They told me they had bought some of the parcels further towards the NW,
and in the past had made offers on some of the parcels the boulders are on.
The asking price and offered price were FAR FAR apart, so no sale.
They gave me the impression they might have been getting another grant last summer.
Mission Trails Park would like to add it to the park, but the park itself has no land budget. the money would have to come from elsewhere.
The land is zoned very rural, and has no utilities at present.
I haven't heard anything since last summer.

Tom

brucemcdonough

Feb 19, 2006, 1:18 AM
Post #33 of 33 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been bouldering at Santee on and off for over 20 years, being from Escondido. I did my first "5.11" there on Bullethole Wall in fact, and that area has always been special to me. Some great problems on mostly bullet granite, on a nice usually breezy hillside. It's always been kind of a personal oasis for me, since usually during the day M-F it is pretty empty.

It really is the only choice for the casual S.D. climber that doesn't have a FULL day to drive and hike up Woodson, and/or doesn't have a rope. You can get a good pump in an hour on cracks, faces, cool mantles and sloper problems. PLUS the area has a very historical feel and history going back to the 60s or earlier.

So I hope that the area stays open. I've heard the rumors and seen the approaching suburban sea, but we can hope. I tried to contact the Access Fund a few times in the last few years but they don't even bother to write back, so I'm not sure what other groups might be interested in protecting a valuable resource for several million people, but please let me know.

thanks,

Bruce McDonough
bruce_m_temp@yahoo.com

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook