RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

vegansoopergurl

May 13, 2005, 6:29 AM
Post #1 of 7 (769 views)
Shortcut

exercises for my sprained ankle??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey....

I had a hard lead fall on MOnday, and ended up in the hospital later that day. Now my foot is all puffed up and purple.... ended up with a pretty severe sprained ankle. sucks!! I have been doing the rice thing.... I"m bored as hell..... can't do nada!!! I'm in crutches and feel like an idiot. Aughh! Wish I could climb.... but noooooooooo. :?

Does anyone know of any exercises to strengthen my ankle/foot??

blondgecko

May 13, 2005, 9:20 AM
Post #2 of 7 (769 views)
Shortcut

Re: exercises for my sprained ankle?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not that you should be doing anything with it until well after the swelling goes down, but...

Most important of all is flexibility. The better your flexible range, the less likely you are to hit the end of it hard enough to do damage, and the less damage is done if you do.

Do lots and lots of stretches:

1. While standing, roll your ankle inwards and stand on the outside edge of your foot until you feel it stretch.

2. Same on the inside edge (a little more difficult, but still possible)

3. Bend your leg backwards so that the top of your foot is on the ground. Push to get a nice stretch.

4. Standing with your toes on an edge (e.g. a stair), drop your heel as far as it will go.

Other than that, try some exercises to strengthen your calves. As for 4 above, but push yourself up to tiptoe, and back down. As you get better, start standing on one foot, then eventuallay adding weight.

Hope this helps.

crag

May 13, 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #3 of 7 (769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to add that when it is possible you start PT on the ankle using a Thera-Band. They come in different colors which correlate to their resistance. Sit on the floor next to a heavy piece of furniture with the Thera-Band tied around its leg making a loop. Place your injured foot through the loop so that the Thera-Band is over top of your foot. Scoot your but backward until you have enough tension and flex the ankle back and forth straight and in line.

Next, move your foot next to the anchor point and move out sideways so that your leg is perpendicular to the Thera-Band. The Thera-Band will try to pull your leg back to the anchor point so you place your other leg/foot over top or next to, depending on which direction you're scooting, to act as a brace. With the proper position achieved mimic the motion your foot goes through when pushing on your car's accelerator. Do 3 reps of 8 or more and ice for 15 minutes afterwards.

vegansoopergurl

May 14, 2005, 5:19 AM
Post #4 of 7 (769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey... thanks!!

crimpstrength

May 14, 2005, 5:30 AM
Post #5 of 7 (769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
4. Standing with your toes on an edge (e.g. a stair), drop your heel as far as it will go.

When I broke my ankle last year, the doctor told me to do this. As it got stronger, I would do it holding weights to get it even stronger, worked out nice. I have a really solid ankle now considering the injury.

voltzwgn

May 14, 2005, 6:00 AM
Post #6 of 7 (769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

work on regaining mobility before strength, try writing the alphabet in the air with your big toe. Work on regaining the micro movement strength, stand on one foot arms out for a minute once that's easy do it with arms down at your sides, then move to eyes closed arms out then down. Once you can do this stand on a pillow (softer/uneven surface) and progress through the same 4 exercises. You'll find building back the micro movement strength is more important than the gross movement stuff.

anson

May 14, 2005, 11:21 AM
Post #7 of 7 (769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me re-emphasize the 'wait until the swelling goes down' bit. I rushed back into things when I broke my ankle (plenty of spraining and bruising to go with the break), ended up back at square one after pushing it too hard, and I still have all sorts of problems almost a year later. DON'T RUSH IT. If you're still on crutches, it's way too early for anything except maybe alphabet-writing. Talk to your doctor, and don't believe anything you read on the Internet, including this advice. :D

-aB

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook